Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:44:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRecon [FLASH game]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Recon [FLASH game]  (Read 2335 times)
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2010, 07:54:31 AM »

About
Commando is a SHMUP (shoot-em-up) type of game where player takes control of a secret operative on a mission of taking down terrorist organization known as B.A.D. (Brotherhood of Anarchy And Death)

It's my first ever Flash game, more of a learning process than anything else. I've started working on a game, simply to learn Flash and see if I can make it - create an actual playable game, not just simple prototype or an engine of a game.

How? (game mechanics)
Game doesn't play like regular SHMUPs out there - you don't see a scrolling background, but there are enemies that pop out from various directions. As player can't dodge the bullets or enemies like in other SHMUPs by simply flying up or down, left or right, player has a "stick to wall" option, where simple press of a "down" key makes player's character "stick to wall" and dodge enemy bullets (but not the explosions!), but can't fire.

Levels in Commando are split into sections. Each level consists of 4 or 5 sections. When you clear one section big flashing arrow appears pointing in a direction player has to walk in order to finish a section. In every last section of current level there is a boss fight, where player has to defeat special enemy type.

Video:

(under Gallery section)

I "make" all the graphics. I'm no artist, but i try my best. I normally draw them, scan, color and fix them in gimp/paint.net. They aren't anything special but yet the best I could came up with.

Links:
http://itsmelol.com
http://dpmakesgames.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/imakgaems (i just started, so it would be awesome if i'd get some subscribers  Tongue )
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:22:28 AM by davidp » Logged

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:20:50 PM »

The art style works for what it is, if you intend to leave it like this I might suggest touching up a few things like your lines making things a bit straight, unless you like the sketchy look in which case leave it.

The dodge sounds like a good idea, right now in the video I saw just some jumping didnt see much of the dodge feature.

But the basics all appear to be in place, keep going.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:10:15 AM »

yea, video is bit old, i plan on producing new one in next few days with new additions (new effects, levels, dodge ability, hp pickups, etc) you dont see in old version.

dodge works pretty well in motion and really makes jumping lot less random. jumping will be useful in the game later, when you encounter some sort of flying enemies and stuff.

about lines... yea, those are intended to be so, a bit "over the place" to make game more cartoony.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »

Okay, so I've just finished level 2 and boss fight and I would be really, really happy to get some feedback.

Game is playable on my website - http://itsmelol.com, username betaplayer and password betapass.

-Controls-
Arrow keys are for movement - left right, up for jump and down to stick to wall - hide from enemy projectiles. You can move while "hidden" but cant shoot. Pick up weapons with A, shoot with S. Be sure to have some weapon pickup always availible, because running out of ammo means you have nothing to shoot with Smiley P is for pause.

-WHAT TO DO-
-Highscore submit doesn't work at the moment because I'm rewritting the encryption for it, but everything else should be okay.

-Add cutscenes between levels

-Add enviromental hazards (spikes, fire which can hurt you, etc).

-Add some touches to boss fight

-Finish the rest of the game of course!

Also, I could really use some help with cutscenes - some artist that could draw 4 640x380 images, cartoony style, to use with storytelling. If someone is interested drop me a PM.

Sooo,

PLAY HERE
betaplayer, betapass for login

and post some feedback if you find some moments.

Screenshot and video update following real soon.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:13:40 AM by davidp » Logged

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »

The game is cute. I like how the baddies are coming at you all the time. I wonder if the game could be improved by making the ASD keys perform 'shootleft' 'gunpickup' 'shootright'. Since I can't jump over shotgun shots, it's best to run away from them, but I'd like to cap at the rat bugger while I'm running.

Only major issue I hit was that:
When I run out of ammo with a gun and all of the other guns blink away, I'm dead in the water.
I probably should revert to some kind of basic weapon under that situation.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »

yea, that out of ammo seems to be bugging quite a lot of people, so i guess i'll add a pistol or something, with really low firing rate, for last resort.

and that ASD idea is awesome! i'll probably add an option where you can shoot back, behind your back, like in blackthorne (blizzard).

when i think of it... this really is an awesome suggestion! thanks.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:10:46 AM »

So I've uploaded the new version of my game, now renamed to Recon*(don't know how i forgot about well known flash game named Commando Facepalm ).

Anyway, I've uploaded bunch of new screens, new video and redesigned my webpage. You can also test the game freely now Smiley

I've added pistol if you run out of ammo, and changed machinegun from unlimited to max 120 ammo, changed game resolution from 640x480 with blank borders to 640x240, added two music pieces and fixed some bugs.

Two new screens:

There is also video of a boss fight under Gallery section of the webpage.

visit my website: http://www.itsmelol.com

*Recon, not Reach jeez
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:52:03 AM by davidp » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic