Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:56:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignZombie Apocalypse Simulator
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse Simulator  (Read 9541 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »

And lastly, there are already plenty of zombie games that focus on survival.

Give me one worth playing.
Resident Evil 1.
RCIX
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:56 AM »

I have a better challenge: give me one where blood and/or gore isn't a (semi)major component of the game.
Nix
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 05:50:20 AM »

Resident Evil 1.

Oh, alright. I guess my point is that "survival by shooting" doesn't really tickle my fancy. What I'm look for, and what I think namre is trying to do, is to make something more about long-term survival. You know, what you do while you're not smashing zombies' skulls in. It's just something that I don't think has been explored very much yet and is hardly mature enough to settle down and stagnate. Of course, this is just my opinion, but as a player, it is something that I would like to see. Maybe do to the zombie genre what DF did to the rts genre. That "next step" towards depth of gameplay. Ah, that's the word I'm looking for: depth.
namre
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 06:08:18 AM »

Resident Evil 1.

Oh, alright. I guess my point is that "survival by shooting" doesn't really tickle my fancy. What I'm look for, and what I think namre is trying to do, is to make something more about long-term survival. You know, what you do while you're not smashing zombies' skulls in. It's just something that I don't think has been explored very much yet and is hardly mature enough to settle down and stagnate. Of course, this is just my opinion, but as a player, it is something that I would like to see. Maybe do to the zombie genre what DF did to the rts genre. That "next step" towards depth of gameplay. Ah, that's the word I'm looking for: depth.
Exactly. I'm a fan of survival and zombie games and I wish that there's something more to it, which is why I've thought up of this game idea.

DF is a game that has a lot of depth and you could see how people liked it because it lets you do a lot of stuff that you normally don't get from other games. Although I don't know if I could create something as massive as DF, but I'll sure try.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:19:34 AM by namre » Logged
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 07:15:13 AM »

I don't post here (or anywhere) much, but I came across this and just had to say yes. I've been talking about exactly the same idea for years: a zombie game where the focus is on survival, not just on running and shooting. More like the game version of The Zombie Survival Guide, or an interactive version of the "What would I do in situation X?" conversation most people have after seeing a disaster movie.

I'd love to play that.

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
namre
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 07:46:15 AM »

I don't post here (or anywhere) much, but I came across this and just had to say yes. I've been talking about exactly the same idea for years: a zombie game where the focus is on survival, not just on running and shooting. More like the game version of The Zombie Survival Guide, or an interactive version of the "What would I do in situation X?" conversation most people have after seeing a disaster movie.

I'd love to play that.
It's nice to know that there are other people who are already tired of the current trend in zombie games and have come up with an idea to change it.

If you have anything to contribute that you think can make the game cooler, feel free to tell me!
ChomperTheSharptooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »

I saw a similar idea somewhere (in an MMO style), too bad I can't find the link.

It mentioned shaping your character, maybe picking a profession and getting little bonuses for it (a la Oregon Trail)

As an MMO this was to be done in a large city withever dwindling resources. There would always be enough to survive with a small group until rescue or whatever else the end would be, but not enough for all playing. So as humans you have to fight off not only the zombies, but also desperate players who need what you have. Now you have options, do you go across the entire city to a supermarket you think is empty, negotiate with those inside of the one nearby, or take it over.

Kudos to the idea though, I'd like to play another zombie game that isn't so actiony and non-threatening.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 09:19:45 AM »

Oh I think I get it.  Wink I agree that taking a "realistic" approach to a fictional/unrealistic setting is something that hasn't been explored enough in games.

Also, it's interesting that you mention Dwarf Fortress. Setting up your fortress in an "evil" region is actually a lot like what I think you're looking for, except the zombies are goblins. But yeah,
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »

I'm sure that these days it's full of exploiters and griefers but Urban Dead has/had a lot to recommend as far as zombie survival goes.

namre
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »

Also, it's interesting that you mention Dwarf Fortress. Setting up your fortress in an "evil" region is actually a lot like what I think you're looking for, except the zombies are goblins. But yeah,
Now that you mention it, yeah. it kinda is like that.

'm sure that these days it's full of exploiters and griefers but Urban Dead has/had a lot to recommend as far as zombie survival goes.
It's my first time hearing of this game. From what I've read it has the same mechanic of looking for a place to stay and barricade it. Thanks, man.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »

I completely forgot about Urban Dead. I take back everything I said about player-controlled zombies earlier.
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »

FYI Minecraft is largely about surviving in a zombie-infested world, though they become more of a minor nuisance after the first 20 minutes.

laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »

It'd be refreshing to see a zombie game that's less about shooting and more about actually surviving.  So instead of trying to cut down every zombie in sight, the goal would be evasion, and securing vital resources.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »

I think if you are making a game like that, duct tape should be a valuable resource. You should be able to combine things like a flashlight and gun or shovel and gun or flashlight and shovel. Combine stuff to make new stuff is a great way of adding depth.
namre
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »

I think if you are making a game like that, duct tape should be a valuable resource. You should be able to combine things like a flashlight and gun or shovel and gun or flashlight and shovel. Combine stuff to make new stuff is a great way of adding depth.
Yep, I am thinking of doing that too. Like for example, you could tape a knife to the end of a long stick to make a spear. Or something like that.

Such a feature would take a lot of effort and time but is essential if I want to get the depth that I'm looking for.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

Yeah but I think people would appreciate it. Also what language are you making this in?
namre
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »

To be honest, I haven't thought about it yet. For now, I'm researching on stuff and thinking of concepts that I will be including in the game. This would help me see how big the project is and what language is suitable for it.

I also still haven't decided if I would make the game in First Person, Isometric or Top Down view.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

I think maybe something like a top game with ASCII graphics would be good, it would mean less time spent on gfx and more time spent adding depth to the game.
Nix
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »

I think maybe something like a top game with ASCII graphics would be good, it would mean less time spent on gfx and more time spent adding depth to the game.

I was about to say something along the same lines. DF/Nethack style graphics would leave the mind open to imagination. I can almost imagine myself being more scared of a bunch of "Z"'s coming towards my base than a bunch of cheesy-looking zombies.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »

Especially if the difficulty is high/ you are not prepared, if one of those Z's could kill you I'd be scared out of my mind. Also really graphic text descriptions of deaths are a must.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic