Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:20:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMost Moving Game
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Most Moving Game  (Read 25780 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »

-Cave Story
-Call Of Duty:MW
-We Love Katamari
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Iji
-Mega Man Zero 4
-Hotel Dusk
-Last Window

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »

"A man chooses...A SLAVE OBEYS!"

That scene was awesome.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »

That scene was awesome.

What's that from?

Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2011, 12:05:19 AM »

That scene was awesome.

What's that from?

Bioshock if i remember correctly.
GONGLEN
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2011, 01:39:05 AM »

i couldnt stop crying when i killed the colossus in shadow of the colossus...really deep stuff *writhes around in amniotic fluid*
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »

You hear familiar happy voices getting closer.
But you're so tired you can barely keep your eyes open.
>Close your eyes
>....

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2011, 04:45:26 AM »

This is an old one, but I've never since become so immersed in a storyline as in Dune.

Abe's Oddyssey came close though, also the first Settlers.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2011, 03:38:03 AM »

Siukoden I - Gremio's death, but far more moving was the revival. Then you find out he's next to useless in the remainder of the adventure. Watching them leave at the end of the game is touching stuff.

FFVI - The death of Aeris is a shocker and the "Sephiroth in the flames" sequence creates a very powerful moment where you fuel your rage towards him. And in the end you come to think "Was he really that bad?"

FFIX - The damn ending play! Tear-jerking at it's best.

FFX - The moment where you realize "you" are dead. And when you tap Jecht's hand: "Fuck yeah, I'm good!"

Gun.Smoke (NES version) - For some reason, the ending filled me with hope.

Yeah.
johnnoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2011, 12:43:42 AM »

Like everyone else, Mother 3 is a big one for me. It's the only work of fiction that's actually gotten me to cry so... yeah.

Fallout 3 can be amazingly depressing when you just stop and look around. Each skeleton in the wasteland seems to have its own little story surrounding it.
Probably the worst thing for me though were the diary entries you can find in the ruins of an unmarked farmstead at the far east of the gameworld - they tell the story of a group of people who've decided to try and start a farm in the wasteland, and it's all quite bright and optimistic. The last entry makes a passing remark about some raiders spotted in the area, and you're left to fill in the blanks yourself.

The 'second' ending in Red Dead Redemption was an interesting one for me, after you shoot and kill the man who orchestrated the death of the original player character The credits roll, it's all very anticlimactic and it did a great job of hammering in the point the game was trying to make.

Oh and Space Funeral was a game that made me feel lots of emotions I'M STILL NOT ENTIRELY SURE WHICH ONES but it definitely moved me in some way.
wademcgillis
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »

shoot and kill the man who orchestrated the death of the original player character

Shocked
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »

Eh, I'm a bit of a crybaby when it comes to happy endings, emotional or not, so I'm probably not well qualified to judge. I'm surprised a lot of people have said Soul Blazer and Terranigma and completely skipped over Illusion of Gaia, though, but maybe I just identify more with its ending than the other two since it was my introduction to the Soul-Blazer/Blader-ish series.

I think the most moving game moment that hasn't been highlighted here that I can think of is, well... sorta corny and cliché-y, and not really that moving now that there's a whole series o' sequels out and the franchise is dwindlin' to a stop of sorts- but back when Mega Man X first came out, the one death scene in it was simultaneously satisfyin' and movin' (before they started beatin' the horse in the sequels). And then there's the character who had the foresight to leave holograms and upgrade capsules everywhere, apparently.

You hear familiar happy voices getting closer.
But you're so tired you can barely keep your eyes open.
>Close your eyes
>....

I can't even remotely find out what game you're quoting via Google-searching, so... which game is it? I assume it must be an IF game.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »

which game is it?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ink.inc
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »

PERSONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »

You know what was something about Mother 3 that I thought would have just been crushing?  There are unused sprites where it is revealed that Kumatora is the final Magyspy.  Who turned out to be the real final Magyspy was pretty sad, but...  Man, if it was Kumatora I think I would've been really sad! 

I didn't know about these, interesting. I found the mouse right after the last shell to be really upsetting though.

JeremySpillmann
Level 0

Ryuworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »

For some reason, Shadow of the Colossus really got to me.

I always felt like I did something inherently wrong in this game. Most of the colossi were very peaceful creatures, and the power that spoke to you was wonderfully ambivalent between good and evil. The soundtrack also struck me as incredibly powerful and thought giving...

Oh, and on my first playthrough of Cave Story I was also very sad when I left Curly behind... little did I know

Swiss student doing Master of Arts in Game Design
Check out Full Color Planet or visit the Portfolio
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »

Metal Gear Solid - Series is a very touching game because of its presentation and values-touching matter. The point is that when you understand it, then you see that the game wants to tell you something and to make you think.

On the other hand as a child Secret of Mana did something special to me. The gameplay and story-telling itself is child-poor but the visual style and the music somehow affected me in a magical way. None of other snes-rpgs managed to do that. It is something hard to describe but it has some sort of dreamlike beauty with melancholic touches in it. I wonder there is such a thing that somewhere another person feels the same.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
stef1a
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »

I think my number one would have to be Iji... It was just so epic and immersing, and the story was beautifully crafted.

Cave Story was artistically and atmospherically moving -- like Iji, it's very immersing.

To a lesser extent, but in the same fashion, Knytt, Knytt Stories, and Within a Deep Forest are all very artistically novel and deep.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »

Skyward Sword was rather moving at times; especially because Zelda has personality this time around. Can you believe it?
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »

Recently, Portal 2 was very moving to me, at the very end.

It really changed how I looked at the first game. Was GLADoS ever truly evil, or was it just the mainframe making her evil? Is there a distinction between the two?

Also, the part where the turrets begin to sing you a goodbye song as opposed to brutally murdering you was stunning. Then the Companion Cube at the end was the icing on the cake.

However, the most moving game I played was The World Ends With You on the DS. I don't think it was really that moving on its own, but it hit me at the right time in my life and it's all very special to me. You can't help but feel sorry for Neku; NO DAY seems to be his lucky day, and it appears that the whole world is going against him. He loses sight of who his friends are and who he can trust. It is kind of tragic, in some ways, but then entirely not, in others. Regardless, this game really moved me in ways that other games have not.

The Phoenix Wright games were moving in an entirely different way. They were moving to the point of "oh gawd I gotta put this guy in jail RIGHT NOW" as opposed to moving you to tears or anger or something else. The game puts you in Phoenix's shoes, but, as you play more, you begin to feel the way he does. Also, Dahlia Hawthorne is pretty much the scariest character I have ever seen.

Then Ghost Trick had a stellar story, but I wouldn't say it was moving. There is a strong correlation between the two, so maybe somebody else feels that it's moving. I enjoyed how playing the game really did feel like staying up all night, just like your character does. I'm not really sure how. I think you start to turn to desperation in the later chapters and this makes you feel like time is running out. Not moving, but great.
MurrayL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2011, 07:25:24 AM »

I've played a huge number of games, but only a few come to mind when it comes to 'most moving'. I've never been a fan of JRPGs, so the vast majority of the posts so far in this topic have gone straight over my head.

That being said, the first game that came to mind after reading a few replies was The Darkness. Specifically, the scene where Jenny is killed right in front of you and you're forced to watch. It had a much greater impact than any similar scene I can think of because they spent the time to let you get to know the character—the scene where you watch TV together was a stroke of genius. Hugely underrated game, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic