Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:01:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMost Moving Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Most Moving Game  (Read 25744 times)
shadowdim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »

Don't look back Kiss
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »

why, [img=http://studioeres.com/immortal/]http://Immortal Defense[/img], of course.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »

Aw man I got to play Suikoden 2. Suikoden I is definitely the most moving game for me.

Gremio, Pahn...
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 07:39:45 AM »

Suikoden 2 might be my favorite game of all time...

namre
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »

I think I always get a funny emotional feeling every time I finish a game. Especially once you see the credits rolling and you sit back and let out a big sigh. It's like a journey ended that I wish didn't.

Aw man I got to play Suikoden 2. Suikoden I is definitely the most moving game for me.
I prefer 2 over one. The first one lacked the camaraderie that the main characters had in the second.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »

I always think it's kind of sad when these games have these huge worlds just full of stuff, and then you get near the end and everything just stagnates. There's really nothing left to do, and you lose the immersion.
sauyadav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:44 AM »

Max Payne. Whole game was quite an experience, and those monologues... I love monologues Smiley
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »

Every Day the Same Dream bummed me out for a while, but I'd say the most moving game I've ever played is Yume Nikki. The Famicom areas, which make several callbacks to the original Mother game, and later areas that show clear influence from Earthbound, have actually made me close to tears due only to the sheer force of nostalgia behind it. It's really weird because I didn't play Mother or anything when I was little; it's entirely someone else's nostalgia that I'm feeling. But damn, is it powerful. I've also never seen a game that is better at capturing loneliness - the Mars area, Poniko's house, the White Desert, the Barracks, and any of the other quiet, sad places... and then the ending.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »

black market's ambush with a neutral party... first time I blew up a R.Back ship I got "no message from the escape pod" and permanently piss off one of the best ship building faction in space...  Screamy after that I started playing safe and using warp drives often.
the missions on that game well.

"go kill me a Kroth"
 "kroth been bonin' muh sister" repeat

so far I have not even fought a single kroth yet.

other than that most games I play use "the announcer lies, you should have gone pacifist, or oops you really fail this is the bad end" too many times to the point that if the game doesn't allow me to screw around (or any replayability other than to get the second ending and speed runs) then I count it as a movie and watch it on a video hosting site.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »

There is one cut-scene near the end of Beyond Good and Evil, where it seems like you have failed and the protagonist Jade gives up all hope. Gives me chills every time.

OneSadCookie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 11:58:38 PM »

ICO and Beyond Good and Evil.  ICO because the hand-holding mechanic actually made me feel ... something... for the girl, and BG&E is the only game I've played where I really felt attached to the characters and sad when bad things happened to them.

Honorable mention for doing it with pixels: Cave Story, over Curly.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 08:15:47 AM »

The original Earthbound Zero / Mother. So much emotion expressed through the atmosphere, and the strangeness of warping into alien planets as a kid.. I played it when I was young, so that certainly helped. Wonderful adventure.

Fallout 2 was pretty impactful for me, too. Very gritty, bleak. I liked it.

Shadow of the Collosus. Intense.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:27:08 AM by X3N » Logged

destiny is truth pre-op
Wren
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »

The final fantasy series, particularly 3 and 7, have a special nostolgia for me. 

Blizzard, despite their somewhat mercenary bent over the last few years, really does know now to create a dramatic cutscene.  Tassadar's sacrifice was probably the most moving/dramatic scene I can recall.  Some of the WC3 cutscenes were pretty emotional as well.

However, the one I really want to point out is Homeworld, strangely enough.  No charcter's faces are ever shown in this game, but I nonetheless connected deeply to the drama of the first mission.  They do an excellent job of setting up the story in the handbook that comes with the game, giving you lots of details about the history and culture of the people involved.  You are just getting ready to set off into the stars for the first time when you attacked and have to watch helplessly as billions of people are wiped out.

The dramatic timing and cadence of the narration is perfect. The biggest factor, though, was the music.  A choral version of Barbar's Adagio runs throughout the game and gives it a weight not matched by any other game soundtrack I've encountered.
Wren
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »

The original Earthbound Zero / Mother. So much emotion expressed through the atmosphere, and the strangeness of warping into alien planets as a kid.. I played it when I was young, so that certainly helped. Wonderful adventure.

Fallout 2 was pretty impactful for me, too. Very gritty, bleak. I liked it.

Shadow of the Collosus. Intense.

Yeah fallout was great for this.  I love the opening scene where it starts on the hokey 50's music and scrolls back from the TV to show the devastated landscape.  Fantastic cinematography.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 11:13:57 PM »

Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Best vidcon I ever played...

hi
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »

Must be the lemmings for me... Those poor creatures falling to death one by one, and it's all my fault  Cry

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »

Just about any Zelda game, but mostly Ocarina of Time and Windwaker. Also, Okami, and Metal Gear Solid 3 (best ending ever?).

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »

ChronoTrigger. Before that was Ninja Gaiden trilogy, and Final Fantasy Adventure.

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »

I have a huge personal attachment to FFIX

I actually find Canabalt really moving, no idea why. I think it's that it has such a sense of atmosphere to it.

Wind Waker and Link's Awakening too for sure. They're beautiful games.

I also got really attached to Midna in Twilight Princess so her character development and story resolution was pretty moving for me.

Mass Effect 2 has one moment. Every time I play the game it brings me to real tears.
hareball
Level 0

Squidgy!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »

For classic games, I'd have to say Elite on the C64... gribbles (I think that's what they were called) were just so damn cute.

Modern games I think it's a toss up between Braid and World of Goo... The awesome music from both of these games goes no small way to making them quite touching.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic