Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:44:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Prelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game  (Read 23095 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »

PLAY THE GAME
OR THE UNSTABLE TESTING VERSION HERE

OLD OP:
Right, starting this up, it's been camping in the "What're you working on" etc threads for too long.

PREVIEW:
My main man
...in a cave.
What I'm planning for this to get to is a game where you can build a fully destructible fort on a fully destructible set of tiles while the zombies come and you try to not die. Me and the guy I mainly bounce ideas off (as well as my girlfriend) have got some ideas of where to take it if we decide to feature creep it, but the idea is to get a game done, right?
Currently, it's a game in AS3 using flixel. I've implemented:
  • fully destructible tiles, with boring gibs that vanish (soon to be not-boring gibs that don't)
  • an actor class which can read the state of terrain relative to itself and jump about and whatnot.
  • some sprites
  • a level object which handles collisions and co.
And that's about it. Building and tiles actually getting supported by one-another comes next, probably by the week's end but with school being the asshole it is I don't know where it'll go. Might sprite zeds tonight to get away from the code for a bit anyway.

Some more images from the past few weeks:

I'll try to keep this updated, there should be some good progress for the coming while Smiley
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:01:34 PM by Geti » Logged

Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »

Awesome, the game concept seems really fun and your artwork will make it that much better! Look forward to your progress man, will you be posting tech demos, or will be it be more of a release in chunks kind of thing (or even just release at the end)?
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »

I enjoy zombies. I enjoy building. This looks like it could become something wonderful.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:10:45 PM »

I'll likely do a mixture of both, but only do a large launch after it's done. Tech examples will likely come with an expiry system or something, not sure. Until there's something fun it'll just be screenshots though Smiley

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:03:29 AM »

no new shots sadly as it's late, but I've got the support function working, it's just finding the right values for support value transmission that's proving to be a massive PITA. Whatever, it'll be nice to have collapsing caves at some point.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »

just btw, i'm following this avidly. I love your art and this game concept is really good.

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

This sounds pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. Also, loving your art style!  Smiley

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »

just btw, i'm following this avidly. I love your art and this game concept is really good.
This sounds pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. Also, loving your art style!  Smiley
Thank you, guys! Beer!

Working on getting the support stuff worked out, there's a few annoying bugs left over from last night, but I've got some of this morning off school so I'll make use of a bit of it and try and find out where this is crapping out on me.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »

Hilariously enough, this is a sign that it's working, the world falling apart was caused by overflows, heh. Off to tweak the values to something sensible and then the world can fall in on itself under my rule Corny Laugh rather than it doing it of it's own accord, anyway

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »

For some reason your images aren't showing up for me, they did once but they haven't since then. From what I saw it looks great! Just a quick question, are you using the pixel style that I saw in one of the images or the sketchy style(as in like a sketch) I saw it the concept art?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:10:46 PM »

I'm going to be going with the pixely look for now to keep production time down. Once I've got the engine going and gameplay down, I might update the graphics, or I might keep the sketchy graphics for otherwise. We'll see.

The images are on deviantart.com, and are showing up for me, so I'm afraid I can't help much there..

I'll dump some more shots soon, I'm still having trouble getting the terrain to reliably support itself, but it's good to have the support mechanic semi-working regardless, I can see it leading to some fun with collapsing bridges and the like

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »

I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time. Good luck  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Left

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 01:44:03 AM »

Collapsible tiles are go! I might get a temporary swf link at some point to get some practical feedback on the system, but it'll probably be put off until building, damaging tiles, and dying (from fall damage and other damage) are in. Oh, and the ability to vault up corners. I'll try to get things implemented roughly first and then refine (the tiles are still feeling a little fragile in some parts and too rigid in others, but whatever).

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »

Just so you know. I <3 sketchy style, like the concept art for the tiles and for that one with the jetpacks.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »

As do I, but for the sake of getting the project done I'm trying to keep asset time down Tongue OTHERWISE will likely not be at 2x pixel size so I could go sick on assets there, but for prelude I just want to get the engine and gameplay down before getting bogged down in content.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »

That makes sense, the pixels look cool too. Also the collapsing caves sounds sweet, I hope you do link to a .swf so we can give you feedback.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »

Righto. You can now access a public build HERE

Controls:
  • Arrows: Walk
  • X: Crouch
  • Space: Jump
  • Mouse Left Click: Destroy FG tile at mouse pointer

Hopefully the sitelocking doesn't cock this up for everyone, but it shouldn't. That URL will be on/offline at various points over the next month or so depending on whether I want public testing at that point or not. I might tweak the collapsing a little more but I want to get some rudimentary items mocked up quickly (initially they'll be purely linked to the player actor itself, but later there'll probably be a neat inventory system. I just can't be assed writing up that sort of system at this point in time) and a global damage system, before chucking in zeds and therefore combat. I'll get building done later on, probably, as it requires at least some form of resource management and pleh.

Anyway, don't expect much, gibs are very much placeholders and stupid. It's on my todo list to draw them behind terrain, and make them either fade out or at least offset out, but I've got to do some coursework before a party. Rushed build! Bugs! woo!

Known bugs that spring to mind:
  • you can crawl over 1 tile wide gaps because I haven't done anything about a ledge grabbing system yet
  • gibs are moronic
  • no camera control

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:34:21 AM by Geti » Logged

desdinova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 10:58:06 PM »

looks great but I cna't play it Sad "This page (hosted by 110mb.com) is missing."
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »

Its working for me here, could be hosting latency Droop try again?

edit: other people have been having trouble too.
tell me which one of these works: one two.
If two works after one doesn't, can you try one again and see if that addresses the issue? It's quite odd how that's happening. I'll probably have to get a html page up and embed it, I'm having issues with it now too upon testing...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:44:25 AM by Geti » Logged

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:37:28 AM »

Doesn't work for me either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic