Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:37:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Prelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game  (Read 23094 times)
Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »

Yea the link isnt working  Cry
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »

None of the links seem to be working >.<
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 11:09:48 AM »

Links not working for me either.  Anyone know some good alternate hosts?

Also, want to give you props on your work so far.  Love the loose sketches!   Smiley

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »

works for me. one suggestion. the jumping feels really floaty. I would up the amount of gravity and make the initial jump power higher. that might make it feel a little more realistic.

Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »

hmm, it wasnt working for me at all, none of them. And then I opened it in firefox and it worked  Ninja

Im pretty sure this is just for testing, but the controls were really a pain. It is a bit annoying to have to use the arrow keys, space bar, and the mouse at the same time. Maybe include WASD controls?

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »

You're not going to be using the mouse at all in the final version, except maybe for inventory management and menus. The current mouse actions are very definitely only for testing, too.
As a quick note, I want to keep the player definitely limited in their ability to abuse firearms, so there'll likely only be 3 or 5 possible aim angles while standing, as well as the ability to fire straight down while jumping. There'll also be a fair amount of inaccuracy while shooting unless you've got a character who's got some shooting prowess. There'll be no crosshair. Basically I want to keep the feeling of a haphazardly trained survivor. I'll reveal more about the setting when I've got things drawn up and time to type about it.

Glad it's working for some people, though I'll still get the html embedded version up at some point and see if that fixes everyone's problems.
Also yeah, player movement is still very WIP and I agree about the floatiness. I think I'll get that down really solidly before doing inventory and stuff, and I'll get the damage system working about the same time.

@scut: Cheers! Can you get to the swf now?

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »

http://losingreception.110mb.com/Prelude/
Complain at me if it doesn't work.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »

Got the re-hosted version working.  Looks great, the particle-crumbliness really isn't done justice by the screenshots!

Maybe increase the contrast of the foreground over the background?

Anyway, it's coolex, keep truckin'.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »

Why do seemingly random blocks break? Like, you destroy a block over on one side of the screen, and a block on the other side will also be destroyed

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »

@scut: I'll get some parallax backgrounds in and see if that helps the fg/bg contrast, but yeah, I might drop the background another shade or something if that doesn't help enough. Glad you like the crumbling Smiley

@bood: This happens because "support" works as a radiant energy. Think of it as all of the blocks holding each other up. When one block isn't getting enough support, it starts to get damaged, and quickly breaks. So essentially, you can cause a cave in on the other side of a wall by removing some of the blocks on one side of a wall, cause they're giving support too. Hopefully that makes sense.

Alomard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:27 PM »

godspeed  Beer!
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 01:38:22 AM »

*ZOOM* Update on the page. You can now clamber up edges, which makes getting around a lot easier. Tweaked the gravity, though it could probably go up some more. I'll probably chuck variable jump heights onto this and call player movement just about done for now. Please look for bugs to do with clambering, I think I got them but you can never be sure, you know? Working on backgrounds for the rest of tonight, and then going to draw and play guitar.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »

Crawling every time you climb up a ledge is pretty annoying.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »

Really? Bugger. You can hit space to stop crawling btw, if that helps anything. I suppose I could make whether you're crawling once you're up or not dependent on whether there's a tile there..

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 04:04:25 AM »

Quick update before bed as someone asked somewhere else what my plans were:

a quick todo:
-fix player bugs
-larger map
-damage system
-pick
-machete
-zombies
-more character skins
-trees
-axe
-hammer
-building stuff
-the rest of the game

somewhere in there I'll implement something preventing the possibility of "floating islands", ie chunks of terrain without support, and maybe a "lava" layer or something to prevent any silly players from jumping out the bottom of the map.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 04:15:20 AM »

No more of this

Also, running up the closest thing you're going to get to slopes is now easy peasy.
I'll add a few more context sensitive things and put some sort of "weight" effect of actors on the tiles. I got started on that but it was buggy ;-;

Not doing any more tonight, sadly. Need mah beauty sleep or some related possibly misogynistic joke that I'm not committed to.
http://losingreception.110mb.com/Prelude/
Server's being slow for me, but it could just be my router <_<

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »

MASSIVE UPDATE
You may have to refresh the page to get new stuff if you cache stuff as much as I do.
No images, just a damage system, camera system, larger level, placeholder mining/melee system and the ability to die (warning: caveins and big falls will fuck you up now).

Feedback would be lovely.

Other changes that spring to mind:
-You can now just scramble up a 3-high cliff.
-Gibs fade out.
-a stream of gibs from a tile indicates it's about to collapse.

Still need to fix some crawling behaviour.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »

I really like what you have so far with the whole caving-in and such. Hopefully there will be some tools to aid in the digging process because it is very slow right now. Also hopefully you will add the ability to add supports to tunnels that you can walk in front of but it will still hold up the rock. Nice progress!
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »

The whole building supports idea has been in from the start. There will be tools to aid digging (not to mention animations) but it won't be too much faster than it is now. I want mining out a big cavern to be a project that takes place over a few in-game days, not something you can knock out over the course of a few seconds. You'll also need to be building supports and stuff as you go, and keeping the zombies away from them once they've arrived. Oh, also, I'll put zombies in the next update, most likely, and maybe the ability to build various tiles with the mouse until I've got that tied to the player.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 02:11:29 AM »

Quick Update, fixed a few small things noone will notice and put in a creepy event tracking system. I've also noticed that I'm getting far better performance in-browser, probably because I'm using the debugging player to test builds not the standard one. Got about 20-25fps, felt like it was flying. Anyway, I'll fix console spamming at each state later, I'm tired now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic