Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:12:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsP-XCEL texture editor devlog [UPDATE v1.01]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: P-XCEL texture editor devlog [UPDATE v1.01]  (Read 14007 times)
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:21:57 AM »

P-XCEL is a simple texture editor that allows you to paint
and adjust the textures directly on the model.

long story short:

I always struggled with making even simple models for my 3d games. Learning to model in SketchUp for example is very easy - unfortunately same cannot be said about texturing. I never quite liked 3d Studio's uv mapping and the whole workflow scheme pushed me back every time I wanted a quick texture to be done.

So I have written a small tool to makes things easier!  Smiley

Maybe it doesn't allow as much freedom as some major applications, but it's fun to use and easy to learn. And you can then export the model with it's textures nicely packed together for use in your games immediately!

you can read more here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14495.0

C&C is welcome!! (I haven't tested it on older ATI cards yet, I fear OpenGL might pose some problems there)

Screenshots

DOWNLOAD
no installer, just exe and some other files + demo models[/center]

Manual
currently as an image, too lazy to create a webpage just yet  Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
version 1.01

- fixed .obj loading problems
- automatic triangulation on load (no missing faces or invisible models anymore)
- added adjusting model scale to fit editor scene (doesn't change the exported model size)
- added texture size validation (textures bigger than 256x256 are cropped)
- added two exporting options:
     * invert UV - finally you can load your model with correct UV into MilkShape or Unity
     * export only texture
- should crash less  Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
version 1.0

- .obj model loading
- automatic face generation upon loading a new model
- texture painting, filling, clearing
- texture window with UV mapping tools
- texture references and texture cloning
- automatic final texture compiler
- exporting to .obj

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:05:17 PM by __stdcall » Logged
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »

Oh man I've so wished for something like this thank you thank you thank you!  Hand Thumbs Up LeftKissHand Thumbs Up Right

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Bones
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:47 AM »

Wow this actually looks generally awesome.
Some sort of hot keys for camera rotation would do some wonder I think.

It's fairly easy to get accustomed to drawing this way, the camera is a bit trick at times I'm finding though.

The color management seems really ace, I like the color selection part as well.
Is there a way to shrink the resolution of the grid? thus making the pixels a bit smaller without having to re-size everything by hand?
*edit oh, when you make a new object the option is there.

Also a way to export, only the texture as well would be great.

I started drawing on your hummer and doing an edit, when all of a sudden my pencil started erasing the texture and making it transparent?
Could not for the life of me get the pencil to work regular again.

Line tool would be handy as well as square and circle lines.

But this is top drawer I think it will be very handy, especially if it works with models from Google SketchUp.
I can see a few 3d games coming out soon if people catch on with this.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:28:48 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »

Worked fine loading the example project but when I tried to load in my own .obj file the screen went white with a red cross and I got the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »

Keyser, could you please send me the .obj file you are trying to load? I will try to fix it
what program did you use to export it?

I noticed some programs (Milkshape for example) mess some things up when exporting to obj

@Bones - that's some lovely pixely glass you got there Smiley

edit: btw. as for the camera - when you middle click on the model, you orbit around it like in SketchUp, but when you middle click on empty area, you look around (sort of)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:17:22 PM by __stdcall » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »

I get this error when trying to open any of the obj's in the obj folder:

and then I get this error when loading my own obj (made in wings3d)
http://pastie.org/1113782

but I'm able to load up the desert hummer project just fine

I noticed some programs (Milkshape for example) mess some things up when exporting to obj
Maybe..but they still work in other programs just fine.

edit: Just tried to open a cube made in sketchup and I receive no error message, but it doesn't import the cube. nothing shows up

also doesn't export texture right for me when i exported the hummer. heres what it looked like in milkshape, exporting it flipped the texture or resized it (was 81x81)? or the coordinates? dunno:

cool program but way too buggy to be called 1.0. this is more like an early beta
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:06:46 PM by allen » Logged
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

Keyser, could you please send me the .obj file you are trying to load? I will try to fix it
what program did you use to export it?

@Bones - that's some lovely pixely glass you got there Smiley

edit: btw. as for the camera - when you middle click on the model, you orbit around it like in SketchUp, but when you middle click on empty area, you look around (sort of)
The .obj was out of Google Sketchup. I also tried with one I made in milkshape, which gave me the result that Allen got.

Here, every time I try and import a model I get this.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:54:01 PM by Keyser Soze » Logged
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »

wow, I must say I am a little overwhelmed, because 3 people with completely different setups tested it before and everyrthing worked, but never fear Smiley

I really aprreciate the feedback guys, I'll make a fix in a day or two
(some people reported very strange arithmetic errors)

@allen - Milkshape has a known bug in .obj loader that flips the UV coordinates (actually it kind of moves them down), I had the same problem with it - just ignore it, other applications should read it just fine.

cheers   Coffee
deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »

but other applications dont read it fine. when I imported the hummer model in unity I still had to flip the texture and resize it. it's not that big of a deal compared to the import obj bug.
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »

@allen - if that's the case I will add an option in exporting menu to flip the UV coordinates. it seems that some programs prefer bottom-left coordinate system (as opposed to top-left)

I already found what was causing the problems with importing - different platforms interpreted float numbers differently. if my fix turns out to solve the problem, I will replace the link!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »

in the new version you just sent me (some reason i cant reply to the PM) i can import the files in the obj folder but i still cant import my own obj's

just created a simple cube in sketchup, shows up as blank still. then crashes on more complex objs made in sketchup. if i try to open an obj from wings3d, it says unable to open obj file and says cannot access a disposed object, object name "OpenForm". same error as before

http://imgur.com/UTXgo.png
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »

@allen - make sure "triangulate all faces" is checked under obj exporting options in SketchUp
as for OpenForm problem, give me a minute...

edit: I will add automatic triangulation later, because some programs might not have this option
deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 06:45:35 PM »

hmm I got it to work with models from sketchup. milkshape doesn't have an option to triangulate and wings3d isn't triangulating my models even when I tell it to. so auto-triangulation would be indeed awesome. would be nice to use this with files not from sketchup.

although a ghetto workaround was to export my wings3d file to a dae (which sketchup will import) and then export it in sketchup with triangulate all faces.

kinda worth the trouble to use the cool program though Smiley
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »

Triangulated my Sketchup models, loaded om P-XCEL and... it froze... and I thought it was working... aaaand...

Same error.

Moral of the story: Triangulating my models caused me to be more let down by getting my hopes up.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »

seems like it prefers really low poly stuff, so that may be the issue.

i just loaded a model with 7,000 triangles just fine. it froze the program for a bit and 30 seconds later it popped up. a little laggy though and painting crashed it..

i think the developer said it works best with models around ~1500 triangles
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 06:57:27 PM »

seems like it prefers really low poly stuff, so that may be the issue.

i just loaded a model with 7,000 triangles just fine. it froze the program for a bit and 30 seconds later it popped up. a little laggy though and painting crashed it..

i think the developer said it works best with models around ~1500 triangles
It was a box with a hole in it.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 07:13:16 PM »

I was just able to load a box with a single hole on the top just fine. and are you using the pxcel 1.01?

do your export options look like this?
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:23:32 AM »

Alright I set my export options to that and also I have 1.00 as he doesn't seem to have posted another version in this topic yet.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 03:57:44 PM »

yeah he did, its the same link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?re15cm73rj32ho7
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »

sorry guys for lack of activity on my part, I was busy fixing some issues

hopefully everything will work for most people now Smiley
(also please forgive me, you are the first real testers, so no wonder there were some problems - but we're back on track!)
 Grin
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic