Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:32:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPaddle Wars: Hit The Wall
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Paddle Wars: Hit The Wall  (Read 1948 times)
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »

Paddle Wars: Hit The Wall is a arcade action game about breaking bricks with... BULLETS, ELECTRICITY, GRAVITY!!!, other stuff, and a ball... Except that if you want to use a ball, you may end needing to juggle two balls at the same time, in two sides of the screen at the same time.

So, this is my game, it is a DOUBLE BRICK BUSTER WITH POWERS(not powerups)!!!

Example of the cool stuff:

Yes, the ball IS making a curve (I am using the gravity powers to pull the ball) and the ball IS electrocuting the bricks (another power)

If you want to see everything the game has, see this video

Download of lastest version packed in 7z for Windows

Download of prototype 2 (7z, windows)
Download of prototype 1 (sfx rar, windows)

If you are using non-windows, you will need the sources (I don't own a Mac, and I don't know yet how to pack the linux build), thus download the source on this link, also you will need to build the source, the library clanDUMB unless you task it to use mikmod (doing that will make the music sound like crap, because mikmod is crap)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:51:03 AM by speeder » Logged

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »

Hello! This is my first post on Dev Log, I hope I make something useful for the people here...

First: The first meaningful information that I had, I already posted on the tutorials forum, in a reply to the tutorial about recording the game to youtube... But if you people have questions about how I made the trailer, you can ask here (better than to reply scattered...)

EDIT: People complained in the IRC that I put no pics or link to he game... Sorry for that Tongue It is that I wanted to not make this a advertising, but I guess that without it, people cannot figure what I am talking about, so here it is: http://www.indiedb.com/games/paddle-wars-hit-the-wall/videos/prototype-3-trailer#imagebox later I may put more images.

Today I decided to sorta reorganize the process... Or something like that...
The version I released last sunday, was the last prototype, the one where I am supposed to have all features "nailed down" (like scoring system, physics, balancing...) before I move to add more content (ie: more levels, paddles, modes, etc...)

Unfortunately, I am getting no feedback, even after showing on IndieDB spotlight, or having a huge spike in the graph of visits for my game sunday (it has currently 2000 views on IndieDB, 500 was on sunday), but a big percentage of nothing, is nothing...

I thus has decided to just dump the game, since noone like the genre, or cares about scoring anymore, and make the next one, focused on story instead... But... as I mentioned this to people on Irc, they ended asking me to not stop...

So here I go, I will track the development from the current point onward on this devlog and on twitter, the portuguese speaking communities that I moderate and all, seemly don't care REALLY about the game, so I will write only in english (unless someone really begs me to write in portuguese or something like that... sorry, I can't write in french currently Tongue or in japanese Tongue), unless you people don't want me here, of course... Tongue

I decided that the TIG forums will be my new home, because seemly you have a community more interesting than GD.Net that I joined some years ago and still never really cared...

Ok, first step, is that I still need feedback on the prototype 3 before I move to make more content, the more content I have, the more things to fix if something is broken... So, I would appreciate some!

Second, I need to add more content! And I would like suggestions of stuff to add in the new level set (the current level set that you can download is the tutorial... yep, a 20 level long tutorial O.o I guess I got a bit carried away... In fact originally it has 25 levels, but I cut 5 crap levels, and reworked some others, in the Prototype 2 release)

And I have a interesting question for those that are design oriented: How I make proper key bindings? I dislike the current ones, but I cannot figure a better one... And how I make people know about the key bindings? (I posted on the game official forums, but seemly noone visits there...)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:34:12 AM by speeder » Logged

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »

Some fan of the game unfortunately only owns a Mac... And he kept bugging me for the source, and I forgetting to hand him...

That is no more!

Mac and Linux fans, rejoice! Although I don't own a Mac, and don't know how to make Linux packages, you can now build your version of the engine!

Basically, download the game from here, and unpack somewhere...
Then compile the sources, put the binary in the game folder (there you will find a "game.exe" binary already), and it will run (if all libraries are installed correctly, of course...)

The link for the source is this one: http://www.agfgames.com/files/novashell_modified_HTWProto3.zip

Also you will need "clanDUMB", a library that I made to allow you to use "DUMB" with ClanLIB. (yes, all users of ClanLIB, now you are free from mikmod!!!), mind you, that it is really "prototype-ish", it is not extensively tested, the copyright stuff in the files is wrong (result of copy and pasting around), and some features I don't implemented at all (like music position change).

Link to clanDUMB source: http://www.agfgames.com/files/clanDUMB.zip

If for whatever reason you people decide to improve any of those codes, feel free to do so, specially clanDUMB... Mind you that Novashell development is not a bit messy, Seth stopped developing it, and thus the person that is making most code is me, this file is the first public file with my changes, so this file IS the lastest version of Novashell, but IT IS NOT official, because I don't sent a patch yet to Seth patch the SVN.

Also my changes have no proper documentation except some comments, and not everything is commented... So if you want to make a game using my version of Novashell, you are free to do so, but you will need to contact me and Seth a lot to ask questions, because the manual is a bit outdated. (btw: if someone want to volunteer to improve that manual, I would LOVE, Seth would probably like it too)

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »

Btw: Since noone comments here, I instead decided that I would post in my own blog.

blog.agfgames.com

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »

It's not that no one comments here, it's that no one has anything to say about your game. Doesn't mean you should stop posting. Smiley
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »

Some people told me it was rude to just go double posting over myself like that. And since the amount of views was not much increasing anyway...

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:34:15 PM »

I think it's only annoying if you double post within a couple days of the previous post. Different forums might have slightly different rules. Meh.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic