Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:21:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSerial Killer: The Roguelike
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Serial Killer: The Roguelike  (Read 26037 times)
Okenido
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »

It's odd that TheCrimsonKing hasn't done anything for roguetemple and rpgcodex.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »

Well, hopefully somebody takes inspiration on this hoax. Games need more variety in the experiences they provide, even if they're somewhat unsavory for the general public.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »

Oh hai /b/. On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate this troll as? Seriously, I think it's decently epic.
Or decently... insane? So he pretended to make a game, gave out convincing evidence that it was being made, and people fell for it? Ooh, good one!

So yeah, shame that somebody so... confusing, came up with this idea and used it like this. Let's hope somebody else rolls with it.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

well that's disappointing.

Seth
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »

I'm not sure it was smart of those guys to anger all these excited folks who sent "PM's with extremely disturbing, sexually explicit content suggestions."   Giggle
Absurdist
Level 0

Waiting for VBLANK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »

At least he said that anyone can use his videos as the basis for an actual game.
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »

Oh fuck, that's what I call genuine disappointment. I was never much of a roguelikes fan, but I was seriously looking forward this one, the concept was awesome. The fact that my interest on it started the same day it was shot down only adds to the pain of knowing the game doesn't even exist.
Someone please make it. I would but I'm too lazy.
I'll give one e-cookie to whoever makes a game based on that video.  Kiss

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2010, 06:00:07 PM »

This makes me angry. So angry that I could just, just... Send an angry letter to my local newspaper.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »

Well at least I'll now have a chance of getting some work done this year.
gunmaggot
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »

Oh hai /b/. On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate this troll as? Seriously, I think it's decently epic.

OMG I CAN HAZ SERIAL KILLER SIMULATION?

No. No you fucking cannot. But hey, I've given you guys a bunch of good ideas so yeah. Roll with it if you want.

Also, simmer the fuck down. I'm not taking your interweb details. I couldn't give a flying fuck on a starless night about what you do online. I haven't been hacked. I was actually expecting a massively negative response when I started this thing, which would have made the trolling much, much sweeter. Everyone fucking liked it though. Eh. Shows how much I know. Bit of a cock block to the overall enjoyment, but there you go.

Yes, you can use the video or any of the shit I threw out there as a basis for your own game. Make it look exactly the same as it does in the video if you want. Use the same name. I don't claim any copyrights on any of it.

So the game's a hoax that was made for lulz. It worked alright. Since it isn't an actual game, I'll keep the following for posterity. Hopefully, someone legit will make an actual serial killer roguelike game, and it will be awesome.

This is pretty much exactly how I would expect somebody who pretends to make computer games as an 'experiment' to write like.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »

Man I'm so fucking mad about this.

See I kind of have had an urge to kill since I was young. It started with small things, insects, squirrels, our pet cat, and it escalated up until the point where I made my first kill. She was homeless, nobody cared, nobody knew, and because of this, it wasn't enough... I needed to make a kill that caused real ripples... a kill that caused real grief. And I would have too, I was planning, I had a few likely targets whose homes I had been scoping out. I had a weapon, I had the gloves, it was all moving forward smoothly.

All of this stopped when I logged into TIGsource a few days ago to see the topic about this game. I had an out! I wouldn't have to take a life to make the voices stop! This simulation, in combination with some hallucinogenic drugs of course, could probably create a "real" enough experience to make Doll and The Boy shut up (I KnoW DoLl WE're gOiNG lAtEr TOnIGHT! JEsuS chrIST leT mE jUSt maK  e th iS pOsT   oN my C oMPutEr)

So anyways/ i logged into my computer tonight and... look I have to make thiss quik the boy keeps yelling at me togo and (HeY BOy NO THrOWing things!!_) anyways to make things short i had a friend who had a friend who goes to Virginia Tech who kjnows a few techy guys who may have mentioned this "joeke" earrliier.

so yeah to wrap it up i found the "perfect" first vitcim not that this game is a hoex/ 

I think I'll call him Tom Grine when I do it...

I think I'll do it with a straight razor...
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »

I laughed.  Cheesy

Seriously now, someone go make that game!  Lips Sealed
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2010, 05:09:09 AM »

oh and btw, make it THREEDEE

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »

Damn! Certainly caught me anyway; should've guessed from the proposed feature-list alone Facepalm

Hopefully it'll inspire someone. I still think there were some really interesting concepts.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »

Genuinely sad this was a hoax. Potential for good, sandbox, modern-day elements was incredible. It may have been called "Serial Killer Rogue-Like" but it may as well have been "Modern Rogue-like".
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »

The general consensus of some other forums (given CrimsonKing's recent comments) is that what actually happened is 1) CK begins work on an actual game, posts it on RogueTemple, 2) It spreads to other forums, where people eagerly expect it, 3) CK realizes he doesn't have the skills to finish it and panics, 4) Lacking the ability to gracefully cancel it, he pretends it was a troll. Twice.

I think that makes a lot of sense, actually. Speaking as a person who has announced a game and cancelled it, I can say that he's definitely being very cowardly.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2010, 12:08:43 PM »

The general consensus of some other forums (given CrimsonKing's recent comments) is that what actually happened is 1) CK begins work on an actual game, posts it on RogueTemple, 2) It spreads to other forums, where people eagerly expect it, 3) CK realizes he doesn't have the skills to finish it and panics, 4) Lacking the ability to gracefully cancel it, he pretends it was a troll. Twice.

I think that makes a lot of sense, actually. Speaking as a person who has announced a game and cancelled it, I can say that he's definitely being very cowardly.
I kind of hope this is the case. Either way, it got me fooling around with rogue-like stuff, so it's not all bad
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2010, 01:59:45 PM »

Wait, it's a hoax? That's ... actually pretty funny, but at the same time mildly annoying considering all the debate it sparked. Oh well!

namre
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »

I'm very disappointed about this news.  Cry

Highly possible. IMHO, the game footages that was released was too well made and everything was too elaborate to be a hoax.

I guess he figured that the game and the consequence that it might bring would be way too much for him to handle. Especially with other people bringing up the possibility of the outside world picking up his game and crucify him for it.

Yes, you can use the video or any of the shit I threw out there as a basis for your own game. Make it look exactly the same as it does in the video if you want. Use the same name. I don't claim any copyrights on any of it.
Seems like its an open invitation to anyone. I wonder who has the guts to take up this IP, especially with its currently gained fame.

I kind of hope this is the case. Either way, it got me fooling around with rogue-like stuff, so it's not all bad
Same with me. Ever since I've learned of SKRL, I tried checking out roguelike stuff and even thought up of game ideas myself.

It's kinda interesting how everything turned out, really. If it is indeed a hoax, it sure was a good one.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »

I believe, judging from the comments at Bay12 and here, there are lots of people who are going to make an attempt. Maybe TIGSource and Bay12 can collaborate on a Goblin Camp-esque open source project. Smiley

I would be a little less irritated about the hoax it if he had A) been more honest about his disability, if that really was the deal, and B) hadn't dragged that 4chan shit into it. 4chan is fine in small doses, but it seriously looks like he just shoehorned in every stupid-ass meme he could think of.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:57:59 PM by Paint by Numbers » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic