Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411467 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:06:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSerial Killer: The Roguelike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Serial Killer: The Roguelike  (Read 26027 times)
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »

I'm going to add cannibalism over the next week or so.

Taunting the police will be implemented. You will be able to send them letters as well as items. Basic media will be there some time down the track. Animals will also be present.

currently, it's like the black plague; death, destruction, and humanity are invading our lives - more so.  it's "nice" to be able to explore these elements.

nitpick/opinion: aesthetically, i don't believe aphex twins fits the introduction of the video.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »

What?!?! I am offended by the gender and sexuality choices; it is morally wrong to- JK this sounds totally baller. From the video it seems to have a lot of things already implemented; when can we play a beta/see more footage? How much of the basic gameplay is finished?
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »

now you're just being contrary

Ah, Contrary, you totally had a chance to jump in here.

No beta yet. Hopefully the guy won't take ages to get something out, since he seems to have minor gameplay finished.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 12:53:17 AM »

nitpick/opinion: aesthetically, i don't believe aphex twins fits the introduction of the video.
It's funny how "Come To Daddy" is always used as a kind of stock dark/menacing song when it's in fact a joke song meant to parody "darrrk and eeeevul" music.
Seth
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »

I wonder if the SKRL author is aware of that
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »

More importantly that combat was fucking great. So much detail!

I assume all of that "you got blood on your" stuff is going to lead to having to change clothes/wash yourself off to avoid detection right?

Man this game is getting better and better.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »

That looks damn great. I can't wait to commit the perfect crime, completely silent, without any traces..  Noir
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »

It's a RL. As such, you'll have the perfect crime prepared, you'll step on the victim's cat that was hiding under the rug, waste three rounds when the unlocked door resists opening, and then die unexpectedly when your unidentified pistol is actually a cursed -2 Glock of Backfiring.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »

It's a RL. As such, you'll have the perfect crime prepared, you'll step on the victim's cat that was hiding under the rug, waste three rounds when the unlocked door resists opening, and then die unexpectedly when your unidentified pistol is actually a cursed -2 Glock of Backfiring.
Sorry, all taken into account.
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »

That's why Dexter is popular.
Ok, I'm being a bit hypocritical here becuase I haven't, but have you ever seen Dexter? Essentially everyone I know well (including those in the film/television industry I recently worked with) loves it and frequently talks about it, but the killing aspect is hardly ever brought up. It seems to essentially be a particularly well scripted, acted and shot television series that happens to be about a serial killer.

Of course it could just be that everyone I know has shit taste and it's just slasher garbage.

Oh, yeah, this game seems pretty cool, I'm not really into RLs though.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »

Yes, I love Dexter. I've seen every episode. Would it be as popular if it were just another crime drama? Maybe, but the fact is that the show is about a serial killer. People don't watch it for the Miami Metro crime investigations, they watch it for Dexter.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 05:13:06 PM »

I think Dexter is awful, but that's completely off topic. I wonder how the investigator AI will be? Will they investigate your house, giving a chance to kidnap and mutilate them? Can you make murders seem like an accident or suicide? Can you kill people in really funny ways, i.e. strangling them with their own intestines or pinching them a la DF?

Also, semi philosophical. I think this is one case where the game really benefits from being ASCII. It really helps to make the game more abstract and separate the subject matter from the gameplay. I probably would be less interested if it had PS3 level graphics.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »

I agree that the ASCII graphics are better for two reasons: 1, there's no chance that anyone in the media will pick up on this and whine about it, and 2, no chance of the game falling into the Armok 1 pitfall and being bogged down to a stop by graphics implementation.

I mean, if it had very realistic graphics, I can see some sensationalist news group finding it and making some story about it, but as long as it's abstract ASCII I think the sort of people who would misinterpret its purpose would be too confused to care about it.

Plus ASCII is pretty, and since this game is mostly about strategy, it will probably be easier to identify everything. Smiley
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »

I wonder if the jail/prison system has parole/escape systems, bribery, and internal affairs as well...

It's quite a bit darker than my usual-faire taste, but it sounds arguably worth exploring. I'll see what comes of it, though.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

Imagine them putting this one the news "LOOK AT WHAT YOUR KID IS PLAYING. HOW CAN WE EXPOSE OUR KIDS TO THIS?!?!".

Edit: In reply to Keyser, this better not have anatomy as extensive as Dwarf Fortress, if your statement is true. A real bloodbath would take hours to wash off completely.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:05:36 PM by Contrary » Logged
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »

Imagine them putting this one the news "LOOK AT WHAT YOUR KID IS PLAYING. HOW CAN WE EXPOSE OUR KIDS TO THIS?!?!".

See, that's what I mean. If they put a roguelike on TV it'll be a blurry mess on smaller TVs and an incomprehensible mess on crisper ones. People would wonder if the broadcast was screwed up.
portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2010, 07:19:25 AM »

I think the reason video games are not considered art by the majority of the world has less to do with the games themselves and more to do with a gaming community that gets really excited for the chance to pretend murder people in as much detail as possible.  Going by the posts in this thread, gamers are a bunch of amoral asshole children.  Seriously, you are all creeping me the fuck out.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »

Your point has been argued before and better. Please leave the thread alone.
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2010, 08:13:54 AM »

How are you going to get around in the game? Some manner of fast travel? Cars? Walking everywhere?

portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2010, 08:23:37 AM »

Your point has been argued before and better. Please leave the thread alone.

Sorry if my response sounds inflamatory, but I am genuinely unsettled that there seems to be such an overwhelmingly positive response to this game.  I honestly don't see someone who hasn't been enculturated by video games not finding this game's theme to be extremely distasteful.  Please tell me what is so appealing about the detailed simulation of murder.  My amoral comment comes from the fact that you in particular are not at all willing to discuss the morality of an actual "murder simulator."  The refusal to look any of the moral and societal implications of a game of this nature is very childish.  I think this is an interesting, albeit rather disgusting, subject for a game, but it loses any value beyond trashy entertainment if we ignore all of its cultural implications.
Also, several of the posters in this thread seem to be worried about the media misinterpreting this game.  What exactly is the correct interpretation of this game and how is the media expected to misinterpret it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic