Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:57:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Dream Library
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Dream Library  (Read 5512 times)
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:34:29 AM »

Disclaimer: This thread is in the Creative section because I see dreams as sources of inspiration. Also I urge forumers to write creatively when recollecting a dream and/or include illustrations/songs/what not.

In the wake of recent Tinseltown movies (I won't mention any names) I've rediscovered my lad-hood fascination for the imaginary realms of the mind.
When I was a kid I was spellbound by the mysteries of the human psyche - besides daydreaming a lot I tried my luck with hypnotism, self-hypnosis, meditation and dream-recording.
I loved the idea that you could create imaginary worlds behind closed eyelids.
 Lately, in an effort to increase my recollection of dreams and the chance of achieving lucid dreaming I've started to record my dreams again.
As dreams are an awesome source of inspiration to the creative persona I thought we might as well share our dreams here. Besides, we're all friends, right?
Let's start a Dream Library.

Heres what you do: Next time you go to bed, bring a pen and paper to the bedside. As soon as you wake up, write down whatever you dreamt about and share it here.
Illustrations are optional.

I'll go first:
So,
the other night I was back in Berlin (I was there recently for BIGjam), together with Thewreck and his brother Oscar I had rented a small apartment in a downtown area.
As we sat around discussing what we would do to pass time Oscar said that he had invited friends over for a "welcome back to Berlin" party in our honor. All of a sudden the small apartment, which was now more of a decadent communist-era penthouse in a state of utter
decay, was filled to the brim with crazy partying Germans (is there any other kind?). I danced around a bit and I might even have indulged in some immoral behaviour (I don't remember exactly what went down but from knowing myself I can deduct a probable scenario).
Then Oscar decided to reveal his second surprise. As a joke, he had written a letter to North Korean Supreme Leader (and demigod) Kim Jong-il inviting him to the party as well. We all laughed and then partied on through the night.
A couple of hours later, as people were dropping off, a short, black-haired man barged in through the front door, positioned himself in the middle of the apartment and started dancing like crazy - naked. It was the dear leader. He was very obnoxious and acted as
if he owned the place (I think he might have been drunk). We couldn't believe our eyes. Oscar started taking close up photos, all the time laughing and whispering how much the pictures would be worth. I tried to get my camera to work but failed miserably.
People started coming back and with them some pretty shady people - I figured they were bodyguards but they looked more like Russian mobsters. While the naked dictator continued dancing on his own the rest of us stood still. There was a feeling that we all soon would be brutally murdered.
Some people tried sneaking out but were stopped. I went to the kitchen and was immediately ganged up on by the brutes.
They started asking questions like "where are the documents", "you can't lie to us" and "you know what we want". I figured Oscar had lured them to the party with promises
of some secret documents.
It was a horrible feeling standing there because I knew I was going to die. Horribly.
Then I woke up.

I never got to know what Oscar wrote or what it was they wanted.
Kim Jong-Il looked good for his age though.

TIGsource, what have you dreamt about lately?

For the next post I'll try to find some notes of dreams I had as a kid - including stories of hiding naked under a school desk with the girl of my dreams on the deck of a battle-cruiser midst heavy bombardment (I was about 8 or 9 at the time).
(Yes, there is a lot of nudity in my dreams. It is the natural state of the body - get with the program)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:39:32 AM by Kinten » Logged

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 03:44:27 AM »

Recently, there was something about having to carry a Hefty bag full of magma from my bedroom to some river to my backyard (my backyard doesn't have a river, for the information). I woke up, scratching my head about it, since it's the only dream I remember since I woke up during 2010.

No way that's going to be worth a cent of inspiration, I can tell ya.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »

Ooh. I wrote down the bizarrest dream I've ever had because I thought it was hilariously dumb. Here's the condensed version:

My girlfriend's great uncle that nobody liked died, and we were at his wake. Because nobody liked him and I was a relative outsider, all the other family picked me to take on the responsibility of dumping his casket in a cave/hole in the desert. This was annoying to me because the wake was somewhere in the midwest, Iowa or Wisconsin maybe, and the closest desert was really far away.

Later we were at the great uncle's house for some reason. It was snowing there. I was looking around and found that the door to the cellar actually led to the hole in the desert where they made me dump his casket. From the cellar door, I could both see out the window where it was snowing, and into the desert. This didn't seem strange to me in the dream.

The great uncle's skeleton opens the casket and starts shambling towards me in a very pathetic and non menacing way. He's trying to tell me about how he's going to haunt me forever, but I just found it annoying and close the cellar door on him. Then suddenly he's outside in the snow, but he's turned into an ice horse... (I did find this odd in the dream) He smashes through the window and chases me out of the house.

Then suddenly another ice horse shows up and starts fighting him. The second ice horse turns out to be my girlfriend and she tells me not to look so surprised, the ability runs in the family. That was when I woke up and started laughing.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »

Hmm. How was it now.

It started when I was in the supermarket with my girlfriend. Shopping for a potential picnic of some sort, we bought all there stuff and I remember carrying it all in a bag with me. Heading for our destination, we walk past this old, half destroyed house, roof falling in, boards from the floor everywhere. I desided to go in. There I met some people I hadn't seen for awhile. From elementary school. People I didn't really like, but I spoke some to them anyway. I asked them what they were doing, and they told me they were throwing firecrackers at this cat. They told me it was evil, and then they laughed. I despised them. Then, suddenly, I saw the cat, it was black and it moved quickly. From one edge of the room to the other in just a few seconds. The others stopped laughing, everybody at once. They seemed scared. I didn't like it, I didn't know which side I was going to stand on, the poor cat, if it was a poor cat, or the people I didn't like. I just said farewell and left the house.

Coming out of it, however I realize I brought the bag of goods with me into the house, I tell my girlfriend I has to go back, and she joins me.

I find the bag, but the people who was there are now gone. It's feeling darker. Their package of firecrackers is laying on the floor. I assume they are dead and pick it up. While I do this, however, the cat returns, it stares at me and I realize it really is evil. I start throwing crackers at it, since that seemed like a good thing to do, meanwhile I'm trying to head back to the door. In my panic, I don't realize that we are already outside, and the door I'm trying to get into is just another house. For some reason, the cat transforms into a string with a sharp hook tied to it. It does this be crawling into its own body, and it's really discusting. We get to the door, I hear my girlfriend screaming, the door is looked. I can feel the string and hook jumping at me and slowly tearing away my face.

I wonder which range of normal that dream belongs to =P
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:39:42 AM »

Player 3: Seems like you have an unfulfilled quest in your life.
Nah, I have no idea, sounds fun carrying magma though!

slembcke & simon: These both are fitting a Tharem Singh movie.
I like the sense of fleeting tranformativity dreams can have.
Games would probably be the best medium for achieving that since the observer is also taking part in what is happening.

A bit OT: Have you ever looked in a mirror in a dream? It's supposed to be extremely disturbing.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:31:53 AM »

One of those nights I had a dream where power grid lines were way too many and too low. I couldn't get around without getting myself tangled in and shocked. Others surprisingly didn't have that problem. I found it greatly annoying.

Actually, that would make a great game. You are a giant and you've got to get across the land filled with power lines.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:49:32 AM »

I didn't read the first part of the post properly and thought all that OP had written was true.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »

A bit OT: Have you ever looked in a mirror in a dream? It's supposed to be extremely disturbing.
Generally I'm sort of blind in dreams. I know that things happen in front of me, I'm sort of there but I can't use anything related to vision, I can't look in a mirror or sthg. Sometimes, even when I have to blink or focus on something or if someone tells me to look at sthg, everything becoms blurry , I realize that my eyes are close and non functional.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Jacob_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »

I once dreamed about being by the coast in a large city, when huge meteorites started falling out of the sky. Some fell in the ocean making large splashes; others hit buildings and flattened them. If a building got clipped by a meteor but not totally destroyed, a crane-like mecha thing made of out yellow metal beams would take care of it. I listened to the radio, and the same thing was happening all across the country.

It was awesome, does it give anyone a game idea?
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »

Met this little girl I didn't know. She was kind of nerdy, wore large glasses. It turned out she had made this device in the shape of a small tube that could alter reality. It was linked to her glasses, so she could change anything she liked with just a thought. (Large amounts of trivial nonsense) I find myself with the device in hand, having somehow taken it. (Throughout the dream I felt firmly in the right of things, with the girl being vaguely evil at the least, so it's possible I didn't actually steal it.) Her glasses are broken in half, but the device won't work without them, so I clutch the machine and the broken glasses, lens-on-lens. To use it, I lift the lenses to my face and look through them at the things I want to change. Some very dramatic and interesting things happen, none of which I can remember firmly. I find myself in a disgusting, swamp-like lake with some other people. I don't know how to swim in real life and probably would have drowned, but in the dream, flailing around was enough to get me to the shore. The girl is looking for me furiously and is accompanied by two men in black as her servants.

World was ending. I found myself in a city. The buildings were falling apart. I run into a vast abandoned warehouse, lit only by rays of sunlight falling on a sort of altar at the end, with some other people I do not recognize. Purple, plant-like tendrils have spread in the darkness. We know not to touch them, because we would cease to exist. Two beings travel through the wall. They are dressed in white and pale green armor, and stand several feet taller than a normal human. Their heads are cylindrical and faceless. They are the things that bring about the end of worlds. The tendrils are the entities' doing, and if they touch us, we will die. The voice of God speaks to us, some of the last living people on the planet, and offers each of the chance to grant one wish before we are gone. For reasons completely my own, I choose to hang out for a day or so with cly5m, just generally chilling and seeing if I can pick up any game-making prowess.

World was ending. Some kind of virulent illness that drove people into mindless rages. I drove to my friend's house and had him bring a shovel over to mine. I refused to explain what was up until we got back to my house, where I told him that we would need to dig out a giant bunker to hide in until the disease dies out.

Took place in middle school. A huge object fell from the sky to a forest near the school. The whole class and the teachers went over and checked it out. It was a spacecraft of some sort, utterly destroyed by the fall. (Large amounts of trivial nonsense) An artifact recovered from the fall - a golden pyramid about the size of a laptop. It opened at the top when my hand neared it, revealing a black space inside and a swirl of golden mist, like a galaxy.

Took place in middle school, again. A huge alarm goes off and all of the children are shepherded to their parent's cars. The world was ending. (Again.) My school is the only group that is able to make it off of Earth before it is destroyed. Somehow, we travel to another planet with some people inexplicably similar to humans (only differences being cultural). They had their own language, but could even speak English, which makes me think they were descendants of humans who had traveled to the planet years earlier. Our school is taken into their society and all is well.

I am in Hell, a hot and cramped industrial area. Over the years, I have conspired with some fellow souls to build a shotgun out of the smallest, more insignificant scraps - newspaper, for instance. We have one chance at this. If any demons notice us, we will be doomed. We tell the Devil himself that we will paint his portrait. He agrees and stands in a haughty pose. I unleash the newspaper shotgun and prepare to shoot him. I notice at this point in the dream that the whole thing is a play done in a very elaborate opera hall with multiple stages and audiences, set above one another.

Several other dreams which are small enough to be described in one sentence: I am in the mountains, in a huge stony area, when a reservoir is unleashed and fills up the place. I am fighting against an incomprehensible, all-powerful being from another dimension. I am visiting a new skyscraper and fall into the sea. I am walking in circles around a high apartment building in the evening as space breaks apart around me. I am fighting against, apparently, the same shapeless being as before, this time in the guise of a human man and woman, at a party held somewhere in an urban area. I can see the same being, this time incarnated as a huge suit of black armor, sitting on a black throne in the middle of a new shopping mall - but I am the only one who can see the evil in the midst of all of the people. I have traveled to the "center of the world", the only place where one can travel to the Northern Road, which nobody has ever reached the end of.

I'm cutting out a lot of inconsequential minutiae and deviations from the main plot in all of these. Someday I want to make a game kind of like LSD: The Dream Emulator with my own dreams. (If you try hard enough, you can fit my dreams into one huge mythology, with several groups of people (all of which I have dreamed I am a member of) battling some omnipotent evil from another world, who ultimately succeeds in his attempt to destroy our world.)

If Amon26 steps into this thread we will all have nightmares for months.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »

The one time I had, it was pretty crazy. I was in the middle of a personal transformation / change at the time, and when I looked into the mirror the whole world kind of exploded into colour and my face looked like I was wasted, then there was a ridiculous amount of pain coursing through my body. Then I walked into the bathroom and looked at the other mirror, and my mirror self asked me to stop torturing himself. Then I woke up..

destiny is truth pre-op
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »

I was hanging out somewhere like a university, with some friends.  We had finally gotten a PS3 to play with (I don't actually have one in RL).  So, we were playing one of the simple launch games.  It had the Little Big Planet plush-guy traveling back and forth on these cables, like telephone lines.  There were sort of gleaming black gem areas on the lines; you had to go and get all of them.

Unfortunately, playing this game had revealed that I possibly had a neurological disorder.  I didn't really mind because it was so rare, what were the chances of it actually happening?  But then we wandered around the university a bit and found a statistics professor, and he told us that this particular test had a very low rate of false positives, so it was likely I did have this condition.

Later (I don't think it was the same dream) I was exploring a big museum with someone.  We went through some cool exhibits, and then we got into an area that was not exactly public, although we weren't really prevented from being there.  The museum was a big building, like 30 stories high, and we got into a big open area in the middle.  We could look all the way up to see balconies of the 30 floors.  Apparently all this area was "the archives", where all the stuff that wasn't on display was kept.  I mentioned that it was like a summary of human knowledge.  There were a bunch of people taking pictures, because it was really inspiring.  (They also had this little waxworks model of Dr. Strange, yes, the Marvel hero, set up looking like he was studying some books.)

Then I had one more dream.  In this one I was playing a space 4X game, like Master of Orion.  Some sort of destructive force was going to awaken or arrive or something, and the 5 or 6 alien races (including mine) were trying to figure out how to resist it (or just fighting amongst themselves).  I was watching while a new race appeared; a race of magma-men finally achieved sentience and space travel, and they communicated with us.  I got the impression they were somehow evil and possibly aligned with the destructive force.  "If the sand fakes to wake, we shall sacrifice our planet."  (Apparently I can't really form sentences in my dreams.)  Anyway, what they meant was that if this force didn't arrive, they would throw their planet into their sun (not themselves, just their planet) and this would...be a sacrifice to help the evil appear? or something?  I dunno.

increpare
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »

Oh I just did that last night.  It was quite disturbing.  Half of the time it was just me, but half of the time it was some...slightly taller, slightly blonder, but overall definitely considerably more grotesque version of me.  If I blinked or turned away or walked away from the mirror and back it would change.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »

I remember that I did once.  It was in a dream I had in grade-school.  I looked normal, but then I had to yawn really bad, and when I did, it stretched out my mouth and when Iclosed it, my lips stuck out on the sides really far and I spent the rest of the dream trying to figure out how to get my mouth back to normal.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »

Met this little girl I didn't know. She was kind of nerdy, wore large glasses. It turned out she had made this device in the shape of a small tube that could alter reality. It was linked to her glasses, so she could change anything she liked with just a thought. (Large amounts of trivial nonsense) I find myself with the device in hand, having somehow taken it. (Throughout the dream I felt firmly in the right of things, with the girl being vaguely evil at the least, so it's possible I didn't actually steal it.) Her glasses are broken in half, but the device won't work without them, so I clutch the machine and the broken glasses, lens-on-lens. To use it, I lift the lenses to my face and look through them at the things I want to change. Some very dramatic and interesting things happen, none of which I can remember firmly. I find myself in a disgusting, swamp-like lake with some other people. I don't know how to swim in real life and probably would have drowned, but in the dream, flailing around was enough to get me to the shore. The girl is looking for me furiously and is accompanied by two men in black as her servants.

World was ending. I found myself in a city. The buildings were falling apart. I run into a vast abandoned warehouse, lit only by rays of sunlight falling on a sort of altar at the end, with some other people I do not recognize. Purple, plant-like tendrils have spread in the darkness. We know not to touch them, because we would cease to exist. Two beings travel through the wall. They are dressed in white and pale green armor, and stand several feet taller than a normal human. Their heads are cylindrical and faceless. They are the things that bring about the end of worlds. The tendrils are the entities' doing, and if they touch us, we will die. The voice of God speaks to us, some of the last living people on the planet, and offers each of the chance to grant one wish before we are gone. For reasons completely my own, I choose to hang out for a day or so with cly5m, just generally chilling and seeing if I can pick up any game-making prowess.

World was ending. Some kind of virulent illness that drove people into mindless rages. I drove to my friend's house and had him bring a shovel over to mine. I refused to explain what was up until we got back to my house, where I told him that we would need to dig out a giant bunker to hide in until the disease dies out.

Took place in middle school. A huge object fell from the sky to a forest near the school. The whole class and the teachers went over and checked it out. It was a spacecraft of some sort, utterly destroyed by the fall. (Large amounts of trivial nonsense) An artifact recovered from the fall - a golden pyramid about the size of a laptop. It opened at the top when my hand neared it, revealing a black space inside and a swirl of golden mist, like a galaxy.

Took place in middle school, again. A huge alarm goes off and all of the children are shepherded to their parent's cars. The world was ending. (Again.) My school is the only group that is able to make it off of Earth before it is destroyed. Somehow, we travel to another planet with some people inexplicably similar to humans (only differences being cultural). They had their own language, but could even speak English, which makes me think they were descendants of humans who had traveled to the planet years earlier. Our school is taken into their society and all is well.

I am in Hell, a hot and cramped industrial area. Over the years, I have conspired with some fellow souls to build a shotgun out of the smallest, more insignificant scraps - newspaper, for instance. We have one chance at this. If any demons notice us, we will be doomed. We tell the Devil himself that we will paint his portrait. He agrees and stands in a haughty pose. I unleash the newspaper shotgun and prepare to shoot him. I notice at this point in the dream that the whole thing is a play done in a very elaborate opera hall with multiple stages and audiences, set above one another.

Several other dreams which are small enough to be described in one sentence: I am in the mountains, in a huge stony area, when a reservoir is unleashed and fills up the place. I am fighting against an incomprehensible, all-powerful being from another dimension. I am visiting a new skyscraper and fall into the sea. I am walking in circles around a high apartment building in the evening as space breaks apart around me. I am fighting against, apparently, the same shapeless being as before, this time in the guise of a human man and woman, at a party held somewhere in an urban area. I can see the same being, this time incarnated as a huge suit of black armor, sitting on a black throne in the middle of a new shopping mall - but I am the only one who can see the evil in the midst of all of the people. I have traveled to the "center of the world", the only place where one can travel to the Northern Road, which nobody has ever reached the end of.

I'm cutting out a lot of inconsequential minutiae and deviations from the main plot in all of these. Someday I want to make a game kind of like LSD: The Dream Emulator with my own dreams. (If you try hard enough, you can fit my dreams into one huge mythology, with several groups of people (all of which I have dreamed I am a member of) battling some omnipotent evil from another world, who ultimately succeeds in his attempt to destroy our world.)

This would make an awesome book of short stories.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »

We should have make a game based on forum members' dreams.
increpare
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »

There was a thread for that somewhere I think.  (Was it Smithy's dreams?  I can't find it off-hand).
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »

Thank you, moi. If I could remember things more clearly I would probably make a bunch of short stories out of them. As it is, I'm sticking with the LSD fangame idea. Smiley
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »

Pretty much all I dream about is some sort of adventure that may or may not be filled with action, which is awesome.

I recall this one dream where I was with a group of people that I was friends with, apparently. We were in the attic of this immense mansion that took up about 16 city blocks and was around 50 stories tall. Anyway, inside the attic there was some sort of portal that led to another dimension that kinda looked like the inside of a giant clock, and it was filled with these dangerous creatures. But said attic also contained these armour suit kinda things that we called 'Pariahs', which we donned in order to enter the dimension and combat those creatures.

Another one sounds like the plot of a kinda cliche anime. It followed this fellow who had just transfered into a new high school. One day, he was visiting the drama department, and met this girl. The two became close friends and all that. But then one day, she was kidnapped by this strange group of men that came out of nowhere. Later on, our hero was confronted by a couple of other students that were representatives of this odd school club. They told him that it was just a front, and they were actually an organization that fought off threats from alternate dimensions, saying that the dimensional barriers were weaker around the high school. As I recall, he joined them, and eventually found the dimension where his friend was taken. He had this gun that fired bullets that made the target surrender, or something, and took out her captives, and escaped with her.

...I love my dreams.
increpare
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 11:31:01 PM »

Was going to england on bus.  Started chatting to/Picked up sexy/sociable guy, and ended up in car.  Had a pet wolf, kitten, and rabbit.  The rabbit was a bit scared of the wolf.  We were all getting hungry -

I had failed to feed them (it was a long trip - I was hungry myself) , and they started to get hungry - I saw the kitten about to attack the rabbit, and the wolf about to attack the kitten.  I ended up having to manually pry the kitten's jaws open from around the rabbit's face, and was unable to keep them off one another except by physically separating all three of them (was lying between the wolf and the others with one hand holding the wolf's jaws shut, and a finger of the other hand wedged in the kitten's mouth.  

I was not at all a confident driver, so and all of my energy was taken up stopping the animals from eating one another, so it all seemed hopeless, until eventually I found myself driving by a pizza place.  I quickly jumped forward into the driver's seat to pull in so we could all finally eat.

By the time I had parked, I turned around and could no longer see the kitten/rabbit.

I looked around, to find the kitten, just to the side of the hand-break feasting on the insides of the rabbit.

I woke up feeling pretty bad about human nature (inclusive of animal nature), and pretty bad as a person.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:28:13 AM by increpare » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic