Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 05:37:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.  (Read 139454 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »

This magma looks like in top-down view, not side view.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »

I can't say I really understand the artistic direction of your walls and barricades. I would think that structures made by the player would match the look of his suit more and also look more sort of metallic and temporary looking. I would think they would look more portable and reusable than your current designs which look more like old ruins to me or something like that. They look like they are part of some ancient alien temple to me, not really like something a player would plop down to protect his temporary dig site.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
AlexDJones
Level 0

Dough-faced wonderchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

My Word!

(I know it's been done before, but it bears repetition)

The game looks gorgeous and sounds really intriguing. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this! Great work so far!

I echo previous comments about the magma texture. I seems out of place when seen from a side view like it is.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:15 PM »

I like the lava.
I think that if you made the shader more pronounced on the lava, it would help it look better. Some fancy lighting from the lava would be neat too.

It would also be neat if you had a more detailed texture near the top, and a less detailed one farther down. It would easier to make that way too.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »

Just a quick bump to let you know I'm in the middle of another ship:

I expect to have it finished in a day or two.  Been working day-job / life-stuff this week.

AlexDJones
Level 0

Dough-faced wonderchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2010, 05:27:57 AM »

Looks intriguingly ambiguous! Looking forward to seeing the whole thing!
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2010, 06:14:45 AM »

So, I'm just curious.  What's the actual state of the game?  I mean, the art looks fabulous, but is there actually a game to go along with the art at this point?
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »

Just a quick bump to let you know I'm in the middle of another ship:

I expect to have it finished in a day or two.  Been working day-job / life-stuff this week.

is it
a pirate ship?  Well, hello there!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »

Wow man, this is all kinds of awesome!

Is it possible to change the shader for ground that's near the magma?  I think it'd make more sense for that area if you pillow-shade it scaled to a yellow-orange near the magma.  (so it looks like the rocks are just near melting-point there)

hi
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »

So, I'm just curious.  What's the actual state of the game? 
As noted in the OP, there isn't a 'game' you could play at this time.  Fear not, this project is less than half a year old (I think).  Everyone is stoked for Fez and it's been in dev since 2007 (good food takes time, jus' sayin').

If you'd like a recent example of jkd's programming, go download This Game is Wizard:
http://www.pixelprospector.com/2010/11/this-game-is-wizard/
It's a really fun game, and I think the first indie game to feature a cracktro.

is it
a pirate ship?  Well, hello there!
Yep!  This will drop off Privatiers once in a while to steal your loot and make players hate me.

Is it possible to change the shader for ground that's near the magma?  I think it'd make more sense for that area if you pillow-shade it scaled to a yellow-orange near the magma.  (so it looks like the rocks are just near melting-point there)
That's a really good idea.  It's likely possible, but it might need an additional pass by the shader engine.  It's kinda hard to describe how the engine's shader works because the game doesn't really understand the shape of the terrain.  It just sees a pixel, checks it for neighbors, checks those neighbors for neighbors etc etc.  At least that's kinda how I understand it.  I'll try mocking it up at least.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/salvage-privatier-raider-vignette.png

Okay... might have gone a bit overboard with the lighting, but it was too much fun to stop!

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »

just 2 words: so good!

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2010, 03:07:56 AM »

That's one sleek ship you got there.
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2010, 05:16:49 AM »

I really like that design as well as the lighting, but you're right, I think the lighting maybe makes it looks a little flat.
Anyway, I don't think I've said yet but this is looking really epic. Keep being awesome!
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »

Okay... might have gone a bit overboard with the lighting, but it was too much fun to stop!

This is now my desktop 'cause I use low resolution.

Also, it fucking rocks.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »

As noted in the OP, there isn't a 'game' you could play at this time.  Fear not, this project is less than half a year old (I think).  Everyone is stoked for Fez and it's been in dev since 2007 (good food takes time, jus' sayin').

yeah but fez was a playable game even in 2007; fish didn't do six months of creating mock-ups

that said everyone develops differently and this game looks excellent, keep us updated on its progress (as you've been doing)

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »

Welp, I guess 'it's done when it's done' has yet to catch on.   Undecided

Moving on, I've been improving the sky background!

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/salvage-debris-ring-01.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/salvage-debris-ring-02.png

I think I'll break it up into tiles to make it easy to animate.  At some point I'll need to revamp the starscape as well.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 06, 2010, 09:53:37 AM »

oh, i totally believe in 'it's done when it's done' -- in fact the game i'm working on now has been in production for 3.5 years. i just feel that, from my own experience, it's important to get something playable early, something to build off of. otherwise the chance of me giving up on a game to start something new increases. for instance, my first big game i never finished, because i spent seven years planning it (including a 2000 page design document) and relatively little time actually developing it.

in other words, what i mean is that one should spend as much time in *development* as the game needs, but that in my experience (i've been making games for 15 years now) it's important to actually begin development, and not spend too much time in the planning phase if one hopes to ever see it finished. but as i mentioned, developers differ in how long they spend in the planning phase; chris crawford was actually a big proponent of spending 6+ months designing a game before a single line of code is written. so results may vary.

the new sky looks very good, thanks for the update!

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 06, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »

Sorry for sparking the powderkeg.  Embarrassed

It was just that the art looks very freaking good, there have been a ton of posts on the art, and almost no posts on the progress of the game.  Which is fine, it's your prerogative on how you want to go about making your game.  I just want to echo Paul and say that it's easy to get stuck in the design phase and then have the development phase go south.  I would just hate to see all of this awesome work go into a game that never actually becomes a game, that's all.

Anyway, it's looking great, and I can't wait to play it.  Gentleman
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »

I don't disagree with anything you guys are saying, but there are a couple points I need to make which might clarify my position a bit.

1)  I am not a programmer.  Other than some logarithmic instincts buried in my cerebral cortex, my math skills are non-existent.  If you need someone to write an essay on the link between the adoption of black powder and its role in creating the middle class in Europe (or some other academic rambling), I'm your man.

2)  I am building assets.  All the mockups I post are built from elements that will be transferred over, in most cases without alteration, into tiles and sprites and scenery used in the game.  Assuming a worst-case scenario; like my friend becomes a traditional Mennonite and turns away from all electric technology, all the assets are still usable.  They can be placed into a completely different game if need be.

I mostly work on this stuff in my spare time, I get a lot of enjoyment just from drawing up concepts and showing them to people who can appreciate them.  That's one part of the equation, the other part is that I have a friend who's an excellent programmer and I've worked with him in the past.  I could try to rustle up coders who have lots of time immediately to work on this project, I know that.  However, I wouldn't have the same rapport with a stranger, I wouldn't have that baseline of past experiences and gut judgement of capabilities.
For the time-being, I'm happy with the way things are progressing, and more importantly I have yet to reach a point where there's enough incentive to get mercenary with the development process.  If someone happens to see my work, and wishes to propose a greater incentive to me, I'm certainly willing to listen.

So, once again, I don't think your points are factually incorrect, and I thank you for the constructive input, but I hope I've made the relevance of my position more clear.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic