Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:30:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.  (Read 139478 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 08:26:14 AM »

Man, your visuals are beautiful.

I know the character design isn't really in question here, but still, I gotta say I'm really pleased with the bulky environmental suit as opposed to something along the lines of Samus's power suit.  It makes me think it's chock full of life support and information gathering devices.  I think it'd also give the feeling of being somewhat vulnerable in a hostile environment.

I mean, just imagine exploring in one of these.  Man, that'd be intense.

Which brings up something I was curious about.  What were you imagining the movement speed would be?  From the animation it looks appropriately slow and clunky.  That could get frustrating, though, if there's a lot of traveling long distances.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »

...the bulky environmental suit as opposed to something along the lines of Samus's power suit.  It makes me think it's chock full of life support and information gathering devices.  I think it'd also give the feeling of being somewhat vulnerable in a hostile environment.

Which brings up something I was curious about.  What were you imagining the movement speed would be?  From the animation it looks appropriately slow and clunky.  That could get frustrating, though, if there's a lot of traveling long distances.

You hit on exactly one of the feelings I'm trying to get across.  If even this massive lump of armour can't guarantee your safety then it makes things feel really tense.

As for speed, I want to have some sort of repulsor unit built into the suit.  Basically anti-gravity that lets you bob up to the surface.  I was trying some sprites a long time ago but didn't get something I liked.  I'll need to finish that pretty soon I guess.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/salvage-message-mockup-001.png

My game now has its very own font, wooteroo! Smiley

I'm thinking the game will have some sort of data-feed to keep you informed about major events going on.  Maybe you'll be able to type in text queries to get specific reports.  That would feel cool as long as it was timely and simple.

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 06:17:23 PM »

Just a little bit... totally impossible to read.

Also Deteckted = Detected

And why is Samurai Jack telling me all of this?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 06:24:07 PM »

I'm perfectly aware of the spelling, it's on purpose, thanks.

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »

I'm perfectly aware of the spelling, it's on purpose, thanks.
I forgot that is how Samurai Jack spells Detected.

My apologies.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2010, 06:51:16 PM »

I like the font. I'm one of the crazy people who thinks games should have their own font. Everybody always criticizes my own fonts for being illegible, too, however =)
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »

I like the font. I'm one of the crazy people who thinks games should have their own font. Everybody always criticizes my own fonts for being illegible, too, however =)
Agree with this, I just found it a bit unreadable.
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »

I think the font is perfectly legible... I looked it over twice and found it easy to read. Only problem I see with it is that there is no filler color. Maybe you could add a semi transparent white to fill it in. I think that would probably help with any readability other people seem to be having.
ink.inc
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »

My concern is that you're doing all this great artwork without having anyone to do your programming for you. It would be a damn shame to see this project get dropped/forgotten.

So find your coder friend, jkd or whoever, pull him from whatever he's currently working on, and force him to work on this project, because there's no way whatever he's doing is cooler than what you have here.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »

My concern is that you're doing all this great artwork without having anyone to do your programming for you. It would be a damn shame to see this project get dropped/forgotten.

So find your coder friend, jkd or whoever, pull him from whatever he's currently working on, and force him to work on this project, because there's no way whatever he's doing is cooler than what you have here.

Haha, I'll send him your quote to try and light a fire under him.  He's got a job for a pretty big software company which keeps him busy, and I'm sure the idea of coding all day, only to come home to code more is not his current life-dream.  He's was also getting heavier into making music around the time I started mockups for The Salvage.
I keep him updated on the progress, and he gives me regular feedback and feasibility assessments, so I'm sure when he feels ready to code he'll be on point.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pixel-portraits-001.png

I've been thinking about having simple little portraits for characters.  These are mostly a test.  I might use a couple of them, but I think I need to do more before I'm happy.  Human figures are pretty tough for me, so even simple stuff like this can be a grind for me.

ink.inc
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »

Not as good as the rest of the concept art; however, looking at the screenshot, it doesn't clash terribly. 

It would be cool if, while their faces were on the display, it would flicker and have some distortion, like a radio message trying to get through.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »

Yeah.  I'm totally the middle guy in the top row.  He's definitely got my eyes.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »

Compressed images are just ripped from my blog's automatic shrinkamajigger, make sure to click the URL below images to get proper pixel joy.

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/digger-001.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/digger-002.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/digger-003.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/digger-004.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/digger-005.png

My 'Digger' device, for boring tunnels into the planet.  This is an automated tool that the player will be able to set up then walk away from while it digs a nice clean passage.  It will be a workhorse tool.  Useful because I want the player's built-in digging tool to be pretty much just for emergency and improvised usage.  This tool will be able to bore angled and vertical holes as well.

As a general note, I've got a bunch of sketches I'm pecking away at, some of which will likely get posted this week.

Note to self:  mockup abrasive storms.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dust-storm-001.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dust-storm-002.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dust-storm-003.png

Trans-continental dust storms that deliver a withering barrage of tiny abrasive particles and debris whipping across the surface.  You'll need to take shelter against these, as they can peel back your armour.  They can also damage equipment, which makes them another reason to dig revetments for your precious tools!

VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »

Just chiming in to say that I think that your artwork so far has been utterly fantastic.

I also like the setting quite a lot. I hope that you manage to implement all of your ideas because emergent-gameplay ideas like digging etc. would set your game very far apart from a lot of the other metroid-esque-"clones".

One question though which doesn't seem clear to me, and I apologize if it has been asked before, is this "just" artwork - or are there actual game screenshots running on your engine?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

One question though which doesn't seem clear to me, and I apologize if it has been asked before, is this "just" artwork - or are there actual game screenshots running on your engine?

What you're seeing so far consists only of mockups I've made.  This devlog began as just a couple mockups I had posted in the art forum.  They got good responses, and I kept improving the concept, and then I decided this project was worth pushing all the way to completion if possible.

A basic engine does exist, it's analogous to Worms or Lemmings, but it's currently tucked away while my partner is busy with other things.  The engine was for a game that never fully got off the ground.  It had destructible terrain, and some basic fluid and fire dynamics as I recall.

What I'm doing now with the devlog is to build as many of the assets as I can, as well as figure out the game design.  Once jkd can get onto the programming he'll have a huge visual catalog of how the game works.  We don't live in the same cities, so instead of me trying to describe how something should look or work in the game, if I can just show him 'here it should look like this:' it saves a lot of time.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »

I had forgotten to make numerals for my font.  There are now numerals.  Huzzahs all around!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 04:40:07 AM »

Huzzah! Though, that 7 is bloody hard to read.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic