Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:11:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTale of Tale's "Over Games" Presentation
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Author Topic: Tale of Tale's "Over Games" Presentation  (Read 46074 times)
Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »

Honestly, even within the niche areas of gaming that these guys inhabit they are marginalized, so it's not really worth getting too upset about it.

We're not getting upset about it. Ashford originally posted this thread so we could all have a good lol over how silly ToT's theories are, but I guess that fell through and now we're just kind of discussing how plausible said theories are.

It's funny, though... ToT, Auntie Pixelante, icycalm... each of them represents a polar point of view about what makes games worthwhile, and they ridicule and put down one another (directly and indirectly) all the time. They're so different and yet similar in that regard.

They all take the same approach to the way they feel about things. The difference is that ToT is completely lost and spews contradictions at every turn, Anna Anthropy is quite lost and praises petty game design tricks in tiny, unimportant games, and Icycalm, due to his background and intelligence, is actually able to take a logical, methodical approach to form his theory which provides a solid groundwork for understanding games of all kinds. But for some reason people like ToT are almost universally praised even outside the indie community, Anna is a prominent blogger with multiple connections across the indie scene, and Icycalm is hated even on hardcore gaming forums like 4chan /v/ (implying /v/ is hardcore) and shmups.com.

I have a lot of respect for the passion and energy they put into thinking about games.

This I agree with. They're all interesting people because of the fervor with which they pursue their goals.

i still feel as if this is a far-fetched overstatement of their position,

They really did say most of that stuff pretty much word for word, though.

almost a caricature of them;

Their opinion practically is a caricature.

they've repeatedly pointed out games they've liked

Yes, their games.

it just strikes me as too defensive to get upset about what they actually have said (rather than what people are claiming they have said).

No one is getting upset. For the most part, their detractors are laughing at them.

here's an analogy: let's say someone says 'comics are for kids, they're mostly about superheroes'. that's a largely true statement, even though there are comics that aren't for kids and aren't about superheroes. but someone who was really into comics would go ballistic if he sees statements like that, due to defensiveness.

As has been said before, this is not "largely true".

gamers are the same way when you say something that, to non-gamers, is an obvious truth: that games are mostly for kids and mostly about adolescent male power fantasies. they get terribly defensive about things like that, even though it's true about most games.

This is not true either. Non-gamers only think it's true because they, well, never play video games. Why would they know?

i think you're right that it's a good idea to qualify such statements as saying that they apply to most games rather than all games, and ToT often doesn't do that: they say 'games are x' rather than 'most games are x', but if you mentally replace 'games' with 'most games', what they are saying isn't anything worth getting offended by. they aren't talking about the exceptions, or saying there are no exceptions.

Really, though, sticking "most" in is still just as wrong. That's like saying "most movies are dumb summer action blockbusters". Yeah, a lot of them that you see advertised on TV are. Yeah, a lot of money goes into them and they make a lot of money. But they are quickly forgotten if not openly derided years after their release, and for the most part only movies that do something interesting and unique are the ones anyone gives a shit about. This is what commercial video games are like.

All I know is I have a young (under 10) cousin who I play wii games with all the time. She loves Mario Kart, New Super Mario, that sort of "traditional" game.

Also I had her play "This is How Bees Work" by bentosmile on my computer and... get this... she loved that too!

But for how long? This is How Bees Work is entertaining for about thirty seconds.

Why the fuck do you have to argue over this? Why can't both types of games coexist? This is like claiming that since Independent films exist then THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY BIG BUDGET ACTION MOVIES.

Not all commercially produced games are big-budget action movies. This is the stereotype at the heart of the problem. People are ignoring some magnificent games because they think some lazy indies and their anti-games are the only creative spark in the industry.

Sure both sides will be smug and superior to the other but in the end they both play their part and neither really brings the other down.

As Ashford said, MNC was largely ignored while Limbo, an extremely basic puzzle platformer, sold like three times as much. Artfaggotry does hurt creativity.

So let's just let some people make traditional games and some people make experimental games and shut up about it alright?

No one is trying to stop anyone from making anything. This entire thread was about something Tale of Tales said, something that is entirely unrelated to the quality of their game.

It's people like you who are making up more than half this thread, slandering the conversation and everyone involved in it. Maybe this isn't very compelling to you, to talk about what makes games good or what's a good approach to design. That's cool. Leave.

The disagreement is here.  You want more games like Monday Night Combat to exist other people flip right past the game and say oh great another game with big guns about blowing stuff up. (That's what I did).

You know nothing about Monday Night Combat if you think it's "just another game with big guns about blowing stuff up". The game is a class-based third-person shooter that gains a surprising amount of depth by emulating Western SRPGs like DOTA. There's a level of resource management between upgrading your character and building turrets and more AI-controlled robot troops that give the game a level of complexity that's a bit different from what you find in other games of the genre.

It's not that I think people must stop making games like that but just that I want a more broad range of games.

Idiotic. If that's what you wanted you'd be able to respect something like MNC. What I said above are things that set the game apart and provide a unique experience, but you're blind to them. It'd be so much better if it was some shitty platformer with intentionally ugly graphics about marital problems.

I hate to make analogies to other mediums but this has been said before.  Books have lots of different stories and subject matter, games however do not.  Many times the only difference between subject matter is only a facade laid on top of the very same game weve seen a million times before.

This is because what's important in games is different from what is important in books or movies. Games are about what the player can do, not some story told through graphics and cutscenes. This is because if the emphasis is exclusively on graphics and cutscenes, the interactive part of the game becomes unnecessary.

Exactly. I can think of nothing more elitist and destructive than that. And, to be honest, nothing more offensive to those of us who have been fighting for years - since long before there was a Tale of Tales - for the recognition of the interactive medium, for the idea that games are art.
Yeah I would disagree with that statement.

Of course you would. You are completely ignorant.

I don't believe all games are art but I think there are definitely a good amount that are.

And I'm certain not one of the games you are thinking of actually is art.

I dont think it's necessarily insulting, its just their view.  I mean I dont think that chess is art, its a game.

Which is why you're so utterly lost.

Equally amazing as masterpieces of art but its just different.

Different because it's not a painting, movie, book, or music.

I think some videogames are Art though because they are more than just a mechanic and more than just a "Game".

This sentence is completely incomprehensible.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:38:18 PM by Anarkex » Logged

jwk5
« Reply #221 on: August 31, 2010, 01:30:16 PM »

Many times the only difference between subject matter is only a facade laid on top of the very same game weve seen a million times before.
Many times in books that happens too. And movies. And music . And comics. And so on and so on. That is the nature of entertainment media in general, not games specifically. But let's look at FPS for a moment. Aside from differences in game play mechanics, guns, etc. if you were looking solely at the protagonists there are a lot of really interesting and diverse characters to have popped up over the last two decades. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark), Master Chief (Halo), Duke Nukem, Sergeant Cortez (Time Splitters), Samus (Metroid Prime), Gordon Freeman (Half-life), etc.

Though each comes from games with similar mechanics and similar progression pacing the characters themselves, the places they inhabit, and their overall stories and goals are really different from one another. Even the moods of the games are really quite different (Duke Nukem and Time Splitters are both pretty hilarious and practically parodies (Time Splitters 3 is one of the funniest games I've ever played), Halo is all about an epic one-man-army, Perfect Dark is a mix of sci-fi and James Bond, Metroid Prime focuses on exploration and the feeling on being alone on an abandoned planet, and so on).

The notion that "games are mostly just..." is very similar to the notion that country music is mostly just songs about tractors and cowboys, yes it may be the stereotype but it is not quite the truth. In reality there is drastic differences not just between sub-genres of country, the era they come from, and the musicians themselves but also even between two songs covering the same topic (and for the record, I don't like country music, this is just an example lol). As easy as it is to generalize on a passing glance it can be just as easy to see diversity if you really look.
mirosurabu
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »

Quick skim through their forums and blog pages reveals:

According to their forums it seems like they are people who weren't gamers themselves in the past and are in a painful duty [sic] to make video games. As such they tend to dislike trivial logical and motor challenges i.e. they dislike majority of conventional games. [lacks citation]

Notgames as a term has emerged from their realization that lack of typical game elements i.e. challenges is better than bad gameplay supporting content and in some cases is better than good gameplay supporting content. [lacks citation]

Their philosophy in short:

a) accessability by lack of challenges or by minimal challenge or in the worst case by allowing challenges to be skipped
b) content before everything else
c) non-linearity i.e sandbox - allowing players to explore the system freely and make the system generate as many surprises as possible (procedurally or not, not clearly suggested); game should only end on player's decision

Lacks citation but you can see the point. Nothing to rage about.
bento_smile
« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »

All I know is I have a young (under 10) cousin who I play wii games with all the time. She loves Mario Kart, New Super Mario, that sort of "traditional" game.

Also I had her play "This is How Bees Work" by bentosmile on my computer and... get this... she loved that too!

Awesomes! Jasper (superflat) should get most of the love for that, as it's his game design and things. I am just an assistant. *salutes*
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »

Awesomes! Jasper (superflat) should get most of the love for that, as it's his game design and things. I am just an assistant. *salutes*

Oh yeah, forgot it was a collab between you two.

I thank you and my younger relatives thank you for your awesome games as I recently showed Bees to another cousin who is 4 and now whenever she comes over she asks if she can play "The bee game!"

Just thought I should add a little love to this thread as off topic as it is.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »

The disagreement is here.  You want more games like Monday Night Combat to exist other people flip right past the game and say oh great another game with big guns about blowing stuff up. (That's what I did).

You know nothing about Monday Night Combat if you think it's "just another game with big guns about blowing stuff up". The game is a class-based third-person shooter that gains a surprising amount of depth by emulating Western SRPGs like DOTA. There's a level of resource management between upgrading your character and building turrets and more AI-controlled robot troops that give the game a level of complexity that's a bit different from what you find in other games of the genre.

Im just saying that was my first thought about it.  Im sure its incredibly balanced and whatever but thats just talking about game mechanics about strategy which are elements of a game.  Which are great I love games.  But its not much different than hundreds of games that have been coming out just a little more balanced or better strategy etc.  Also that description does not convince me that the game is significantly different enough from other games (my opinion).  I think it actually backs my case that those games are so similar that you have to talk about leveling up characters to defend its uniqueness.

And I'm certain not one of the games you are thinking of actually is art.

Which is why you're so utterly lost.

This sentence is completely incomprehensible.

I don't even know how to respond these. Most of them are just insults.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:49:52 PM by Nate K (Caliber9) » Logged

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »

Anarkex and Ashford both share that style of arguing where they just break down your post sentence by sentence and make one short insult per sentence. This way they don't have to form their own points and can simply spend the entire argument insulting you.

It gets nothing done but it results in 16 page threads with little progress made in any direction.

In other words every TIGs discussion would do very well to not have either of those 2 individuals involved and I think quite a few people would agree with me.
Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »

The appropriate response is to commence thinking.

Meanwhile, on shmups.com

Quote from: JoshF
A bad game can't have good aesthetics because mechanics are part of the aesthetics or a video game, more than audiovisuals because it's the characteristic that distinguishes games from movies, music, and fly fishing. Does this BLOW YOUR MIND folks?

The art of fly fishing involves making a convincing fly out of feathers, fur, and string, a good roll casting technique, and moving your line though the water for the purposes of getting a fish to think your lure is delicious. Dressing the fisherman up like Divine from Pink Flamingos and having an electronic lure that looks like a space shuttle and emits retro chiptunes that scare away all the fish isn't an aestheticized version of fly fishing, as much as some talentless charlatan with glasses with thick black rims may try to convince you. As far as fly fishing is concerned, it's anti-aesthetic.

Moral of the story: Games are games not movies, just like birds aren't dogs, thus having unique criteria that go into determining value. You can't say a particular bird is beautiful, so to make a dog just as beautiful you need to glue a similar beak on his nose and paint him bright green. In summary, Super Mario World and Rocket Knight Adventures are the art platformers, not Braid. Dodonpachi is an art SHUMP not something Kenta Cho cooked up in Java in a week, and Gears of War is the art shooter not Killer 7, etc..

Anarkex and Ashford both share that style of arguing where they just break down your post sentence by sentence and make one short insult per sentence. This way they don't have to form their own points and can simply spend the entire argument insulting you.

You're ignoring how we posted multiple points at the very start of the thread. I only respond with a joke answer if it's something I've already answered, which at this point in the thread means most of the dumb close-minded things you guys say. Most of my responses have not been insults, however. Maybe you should read again.

It gets nothing done but it results in 16 page threads with little progress made in any direction.

I think this thread has made a lot of progress.

In other words every TIGs discussion would do very well to not have either of those 2 individuals involved and I think quite a few people would agree with me.

Yes, I'm the one who's insulting people. Not the person saying that every conversation I take part in is ruined.

Gnarf
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »

I think your official response is that you appreciate that he is not candy coating his words and that.

Art-pocalypse

Just call it artpocalypse. Capital A is acceptable if you really think it's necessary, but the hyphen just makes it sound off.

I think its funny though that any game that isn't about destroying things with weapons is labeled an artsy game.

Like them artfag games where you crash cars into other cars Smiley

Yeah I would disagree with that statement.  I don't believe all games are art but I think there are definitely a good amount that are.  I dont think it's necessarily insulting, its just their view.  I mean I dont think that chess is art, its a game.  Equally amazing as masterpieces of art but its just different.  I think some videogames are Art though because they are more than just a mechanic and more than just a "Game".

Right. There's basically a bunch of people who has been saying that games are art. And then there's this another bunch of people that has been saying that no, games are not art, for art are only like poems and sad books and black and white photographs that are like taken at an awkward angle.

It's a little about that schmultural schmegitimacy thing. And it's a little about how most of the counterarguments amount to something analogous to "Beethoven's Fifth is clearly not art, because it's too catchy and fun. This atonal soundscape layered with spoken word free verse, on the other hand..."

And then you say that, well chess isn't art, because it's just a game. But these three games are art because they're like sad or whatever. Maybe there's a lot of dark blue in them. At best it's orthogonal to how good the game, and often it has to be a bad game in order to be art. And that's like the opposite of what the people who have been arguing that games are art wanted to achieve. Because that was all about how the really good games are really good art.

Ultimately it devalues art. Art is all the boring stuff that has to justify its existence by being art.

Anarkex and Ashford both share that style of arguing where they just break down your post sentence by sentence and make one short insult per sentence.

And you have adopted that style where you don't respond to a thing and just say that it's all hopeless because the other people are arguing the wrong way.

Slap some label on the opposition. Call it a day.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2010, 02:12:49 PM »

I think your official response is that you appreciate that he is not candy coating his words and that.

Haha that is pretty clever. Cheesy  But he is making personal attacks on me unlike ToT who are only attacking ways of making games.
I think I'm done with this discussion as the argument is coming down to "what is art?" and I doubt that many of the people here have any substantial knowledge on the subject of art history or the extensive amounts of information that has been written on the subject.(though I could be wrong)

It's also worth noting that I enjoy the same games you are defending but am also arguing for more exploration of different kinds of games yet you are saying that I am the close minded one.

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »

And you have adopted that style where you don't respond to a thing and just say that it's all hopeless because the other people are arguing the wrong way.

Slap some label on the opposition. Call it a day.
Correct.

ARGUE CORRECTLY YOU IMBECILES.

Also Gnarf you're really good at sounding superior to everyone when you post. And I mean this as a compliment.

I felt like a dumb little child after reading that. And no I'm not being sarcastic, I really did. You should be a repo man or something. I would not only give you my car but I'd feel like it was the least I could do to make up for being such a horrible person.

Also why does this thread feel more and more like "Let's all psychoanalyze how other people argue"
AshfordPride
« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2010, 03:03:53 PM »

Haha that is pretty clever. Cheesy  But he is making personal attacks on me unlike ToT who are only attacking ways of making games.

Then get your mother to call the principal.

I think I'm done with this discussion as the argument is coming down to "what is art?"

Not by a longshot.

and I doubt that many of the people here have any substantial knowledge on the subject of art history or the extensive amounts of information that has been written on the subject.

Yeah, we probably only know things about video games!  You know, being such big stupid nerds.  You could be wrong.  But you probably aren't.  Just assume your opponent has some sort of intellectual defection and walk away.

It's also worth noting that I enjoy the same games you are defending but am also arguing for more exploration of different kinds of games yet you are saying that I am the close minded one.

You put down Monday Night Combat.  Unforgivable.  Absolutely intolerable.  You're backtracking now, when you clearly let it slip that you have absolutely no interest in a game because it has guns.  I spend what probably amounts to hours arguing and discussing why I dislike the sort of games that ToT produces, and then you put down a game because ITS JUST ANUDDER ONE A DEM FIRST PERSON SHOOTER GAMES.  

It's a DOTA third-person shooter where you and a group of cloned athletes have to alternately escort and defeat waves of multiple kinds of bots in order to attack the enemies base.  The games takes place in a dystopian future, and has a light-hearted take on it like the Running Man or Smash TV.  You are capable of spending money earned on kills, destruction, or pleasing the crowd.  Each character is class based, and each class has a myriad of different abilities and playstyles and are all surprisingly balanced.  You can spend money on custom classes, and use different endorsements to boost your skills.  You can also use "Juice" which is earned from playing well to become nigh-invincible and have massively increased attack.

Y'know, just like Modern Warfare 2.

Paul, you just called me an idiot.  You assumed that after all this, I don't know my shit.  Granted, art history is kind of an out there sort of thing for the given person to know about, but I think I know enough to at least have a competent discussion on the matter.  Which we fucking won't because that really has absolutely nothing to do with video games, and even less to do with the pretentious efforts of ToT at making what amounts to a virtual David.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:15:49 PM by AshfordPride » Logged
jwk5
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »

I think what it comes down to is people have the desire to argue but nothing to really argue about, so after a while everyone sort of reaches this universal breakdown where we all stare at the screen blankly and go "Uh... what was this topic about again!?" Beyond stating an opinion (i.e. "My thoughts on ToT are...") the only thing that can really be done with this topic is refute another person's opinion on it, which is really asinine given the topic because you are not arguing facts you are essentially arguing dispositions. This discussion has really broke down into alternating scenarios of this:

"Hey, Bob, guess what."
"What?"
"Fuck you."
AshfordPride
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »

which is really asinine

I completely disagree.  I don't post unless I have something new to say.  I think this thread has taught me a lot about how the people who like ToT games like to think, and it has helped me establish my own position better.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »

you guys sure are fucking BORING BORING BORING

please shut the fuck up
Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2010, 04:10:48 PM »

We missed you, Allen! Did you have a nice day at school?

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »

Shall we make a game?
or
Shall we argue about arguments inspired by talking about guys talking about games talking about games?
jwk5
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:27 PM »

Shall we make a game?
or
Shall we argue about arguments inspired by talking about guys talking about games talking about games?
Can we do both and make a game about arguments inspired by talking about guys talking about games talking about games? We can call it ArtPocalypse: Arguments by Proxy!
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »

Now we're joking about making a game about arguing about arguments inspired by talking about guys talking about games talking about games. I swear to god, if someone starts talking about us... Hand Shake LeftApoplectic
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »

If I didn't already fufill my 'joke PTT entry' for this fiscal quarter I would totally do that.

I suggest that the only way to continue this dialog is via game. Either that or have allen whup Anarkex and co. in Indie Kombat.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic