Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411917 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 04:12:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Time it take to compile
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Time it take to compile  (Read 3797 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »

"Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight." Bill Gates

Fantastic

Double Fantastic
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 01:28:11 AM »

You think that's long.

It took me 9 hours to compile the Madden codebase when i was at EA at my machine.

We had a distributed compiler setup as well which utilized any networked idle processors which depending on how heavily people were working, you could get compile times down to 30 minutes.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »

Too bad there is no easy and cheap way to do the same with your home local network. Licences for those kind of softwares are targeted to companies that have money to spend on tools to earn time.

However, indies most of the time don't need eavy compilation stuff.....

...I'm saying this but just having some libraries in my big project code base make it compile in about 30 minutes on my desktop computer.
I just got a faster laptop (corei7) and it cut the compilation time to 15 minutes.

I made it bearable by carfully deparating my project and libs in modules, to only compile minimal parts of the application. And, obviously, scripting languages help a lot on this problem.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »

It's always some consolation that by the time your project gets unbearably large, at least some of it must have stabilized into basically fixed libraries. If not, you are probably doing something wrong.
mirosurabu
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 11:08:50 PM »

I use Flash IDE for GUI and music, so when I am about to export the SWC it's a coffee time. Especially if there is audio in there, duh.

Fortunately I use Flex, I don't know what kind of nightmare it would be to work completely in Flash CS4.
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »

Thanks again for everyone's input.

After reading everyone's replies, I decided using Flash CS3 wasn't going to cut it any more and moved on to FlashDevelop, Flex SDK and Flixel, and I couldn't be happier.

And it's all free!
Why would Adobe get behind this?

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »

Why would Adobe get behind this?

Why wouldn't they? It encourages people who don't have the money to invest in Creative Suite to learn Flash. That's a huge asset for Adobe.

And for many developers, Flash CS is much preferable to Flex, FlashDevelop or whatever. It depends on what you're doing, what your workflow is like and so on.

floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 01:30:07 AM »

I'm currently suffering horrible long build times... XACT audio build takes a long time (compressing all those WAV files) - probably 10 minutes each time we update the audio... we've got a lot of audio!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic