Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:19:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTilt - physics puzzler (r11)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tilt - physics puzzler (r11)  (Read 2395 times)
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »

You know those labyrinth things? The ones where you tilt the thingy around to get the ball to go around holes? OK, well imagine a 2D computer game version of that. Where all of the platforms rotate separately. And you can only rotate the one that the ball touched last.

Download for Windows: http://tesselode.110mb.com/games/tilt-windows.zip
Download the source (requires Love to run):  http://tesselode.110mb.com/games/tilt-source.zip

How to play: hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse to rotate platforms. Get the ball to the green square. Don't go past the left, right, or bottom edge of  the screen.

Level making guide
Hey guess what, in the current release, you can make levels!

First create a text file in the "custom" folder with the file extension ".tilt". Then start typing in it!
(The "custom" folder is in %appdata%/love/tesselode_tilt on Windows and ~/.love/tesselode_tilt on Linux.)

Each line is a different object. The syntax is as follows:

[x position],[y position],[object type],[parameters for object separated by commas]

The different object types:
-"ball" - the ball you have to guide to the goal (no parameters)
-"goal" - the goal you have to guide the ball to (no parameters)
-"spike" -  spike balls. Don't touch these! (no parameters)
-"wall" - uninteractive wall thingy. (no parameters)
-"platform" - a rotatable platform. This can have one or more sets of 4 parameters, each of which represents a rectangle that makes up the platform. The parameters are, in order: relative x position, relative y position, width, and height.
-"spring" - the ball bounces when it lands on one of these. (no parameters)
-"jet" - an air jet that pushes the ball around. Has 1 parameter, which is one of four directions, "left," "right," "up," or "down."

Tips:
-The size of every level is 800 by 600 pixels.
-Don't let platforms rotate too far off the screen. Otherwise they might stop rotating.
-Try not to let platforms collide with each other. Bad stuff isn't guaranteed to happen, but weird stuff might.
-All the shapes on a platform should touch each other. We don't want floaty shapes.
-Walls, spike balls and springs all have a size of 30x30 pixels.

Feel free to post level designs in this topic! I would like people besides me to design some levels for the final version of Tilt, since that will probably make the game more interesting.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:38:08 AM by tesselode » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »

It's neat, but the ball is constantly going through platforms, and the game is unplayable because of it.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »

i cant even get past level one, you really need to lock the mouse cursor, this is literally impossible to play when the mouse is unlocked.

control type 2 moves so sluggish and jerky that it isn't feasible either
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:35:07 AM »

It's neat, but the ball is constantly going through platforms, and the game is unplayable because of it.
How is the game performing on your computer? Do things seem choppy? Because if the FPS is low physics glitches might happen. I can't reproduce it, though.

you really need to lock the mouse cursor, this is literally impossible to play when the mouse is unlocked.
Shouldn't be. Maybe if your mouse is really slow.

control type 2 moves so sluggish and jerky that it isn't feasible either
I was able to reproduce the sluggishness, but only on Linux, which is really weird. What OS are you running?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »

windows 7.

my mouse has whatever default settings that came with windows 7. I never adjust the sensitivity, I always leave it at default  Shrug

when I talk about mouse lock, I always accidentally click outside the screen. accidentally moving my desktop icons or losing the focus of the game. locking the mouse would prevent that. or make it full-screen, either way..
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »

OK, I'll throw in an option for that.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »

Tilt OST 1.
garlandobloom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »

Downloaded it, I'll test play it later when I get to my home computer. Using a slow-ish laptop at the moment. Looks like an interesting concept.

Edit: Played the game. The controls are a bit laggy and weird. I also experienced some physics glitches, even playing on a relatively fast (3Ghz) computer. The levels themselves were very challenging, which is not necessarily bad. The idea is interesting, but this prototype of the idea has some things about it that just don't click. Not to say the idea is totally bogus, but the control scheme that you're trying in this prototype does not really work for a game which requires such swift reflexes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:27:03 PM by garlandobloom » Logged

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »

r11 out!

Now with some sound effects. They'll definitely receive some tweaking before the final release. And I took out the control style options since they were causing some pretty horrible glitches.

The controls are a bit laggy and weird...the control scheme that you're trying in this prototype does not really work for a game which requires such swift reflexes.

Not sure what you mean by the controls being laggy. Looks like multiple people have been complaining about the controls now, but I have no problem with them. Apparently having an option for keeping the mouse trapped in the window would be helpful; would a sensitivity option also be helpful?
garlandobloom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »

Well, on my computer the controls simply lagged behind the current position of the mouse, and took a while to catch up. I don't know if the game has super steep requirements. I was playing it on a 3.2GHz Pentium 4. Graphics certainly couldn't be an issue, since my card can play Bioshock at like 60fps.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »

I would suggest modeling the physics separate from how the objects in the game are rendered on the screen. Someone's computer not handling the framerate up to par should not affect the objects in the "game". The simulation of the movement of the objects and their interactions should be handled in a simpler looping thread that any computer can handle and then the graphics can be rendered separate to that.

However, that said, the game does not look like it is advanced enough graphically to warrant really putting strain on peoples systems. If this runs choppily on a pentium 4 then you must have some sort of terrible inefficiency in the code.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »

So it looks like a number of people are having trouble with the performance of the game.

The game uses the Löve engine, which uses Lua. The code for updating the physics objects is in a separate function from the graphics drawing, so I don't think that should be a problem. Box2D is used for the physics. I will check for any horrible inefficiencies. If anyone can look through the code to see if anything horrible is happening that would be great.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic