Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:43:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAmici Exeunt [2-player co-op platformer]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Amici Exeunt [2-player co-op platformer]  (Read 18526 times)
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »

I keep trying to get my girlfriend to play with me but i always catch her at the wrong time.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »

BUG REPORT:

Laying bombs on upward moving elevators causes problems.
Clyde can block bombs and Bounce Crawlers, which you said he can't.
Inky can wall jump while in his hurt pose. I think leaving this in but going back to the jump sprite after the jump would be fine, because it rarely ever happens. You could also use it to get to secret areas, where you wall jump, get hit by something to go back at the wall, then wall jump again.
With proper timing, you can jump two spaces up with Pinky by bouncing off a wall while jumping and charging. Only useful place is here though:

I like how the PewPews get scared when you get close to them.

I played with my sister. She was Inky, and I was Clyde. One think I found out: Wall jumping is really hard for people that don't play games a lot. It's also too easy to wall jump where you don't want to, like at the top of the first room, where you can bounce all the way down if you hit the lip after you made it.
Teamwork felt good, although I didn't get to play any other characters combos with her.

Having Clyde and Pinky in a short hallway is a nightmare. You can have Clyde block while Pinky starts the charge, but if anything is still alive, you are split up, and you just have to hope that the enemies go after Clyde so Pinky can charge. I think that Clyde should have a weak short range attack, like if you put down your shield directly onto an enemy.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »

The invincibility times for the enemies feel a bit too long. Also, it feels like pinky should be able to jump on enemies to hurt them, what with being a giant elephant-rhino thing.

And this may just be me, but I cannot figure out how to use Inky. Namely, I can't get out of his starting area.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2010, 01:18:09 PM »

I agree with the invulnerability time.

Pinky can jump on people to damage them, but he has to jump from a higher place to build enough momentum.
(Rhinephant? Elephino?)

Inky can slide if you use his attack button while running. You can slide under bars that don't touch the ground.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »

I think that Clyde should have a weak short range attack, like if you put down your shield directly onto an enemy.

I was thinking about that a while ago. Maybe I'll do just that.

~

Also, I will mess around with the invulnerability times. Wish me luck! New levels are on their way too, to make the first level more tutorial-like.

Last of all... I, too, kept bouncing off of that lip. very annoying ]:

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »

I think Inky should get more air control than the other characters. He should be able to accelerate or turn around, but not enough to jump up the same wall. (At least, not in a useful manner. He could maybe be able jump off a lower point on a tall wall, and still lose height in total.)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »

Clyde's Cap Attack is now pretty much the same as his bouncy cap shield, just a bit more proactive. It does a rather small amount of damage (less than Inky's kick).

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2010, 12:12:20 AM »

Current System: You get hit, no penalty except momentary setback

Damage System: You get hit enough, you die

New System: ?
think 'rings' but better
Tear your hair out wondering o:

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2010, 12:28:58 AM »

Ten random terrible guesses for when you get hit:

1. You randomly change characters.
2. Enemies mock you, and you feel bad.
3. MY WORD!
4. More enemies spawn.
5. Teleports you to a random level.
6. Suddenly, rainbows! Everywhere!
7. You shrink.
8. It starts up a bonus level, that once you complete, you go back to where you got hit. P.S. You can get hit in the bonus level.
9. ???
10. Profit!
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »

~

Every character carries a maximum of three battery charges, and starts off with one fully-charged battery.

When struck, a character has one full battery discharged into the air in the form of excited yellow sparks that end up forming a calm cloud that fades away dangerously rapidly. You can recover your precious battery charge! Just be careful trying to collect near enemies.

Destroyed enemies release one half-battery's worth of sparks into the air.
Destroyed small enemies (little spidey jumpers) release no sparks.
Picked up whole batteries, of course, result in one whole battery's regeneration.

Upon loss of all battery charge: nothing happens! Fewer sparks are output when you take damage.

~ THE IMPORTANT STUFF:

Not yet implemented: When reaching the end of any room, each character redeems one whole battery if he (or she) has one! This battery will turn into points, delicious points!

Not yet implemented: The players may agree to restart a room, at the cost of both of them losing their entire battery charge.

~

Characters with naturally big hitboxes (Pinky in particular) will have an easier time getting hit, but also act as a big spark sponge! Sparks can be collected and recollected much easier by Pinky than by Inky.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »

I like it! (Although it's hard to collect sparks with two characters by myself)

Also, just so you know, Pinky can get from one door to the other in the second last room by himself in one charge.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2010, 08:00:51 AM »

(Although it's hard to collect sparks with two characters by myself)

That's good! It's supposed to be tough; I don't want you nullifying all the damage you take, after all :3

Also, I have realized that although Pinky sometimes feels kind of limited, he can be utterly fantastic at certain things, such as (like you mentioned) traversing long horizontal areas, even those with gaps, and wiping enemies out who are taking residence on otherwise inaccessible ledges. You just need good jump timing!

(Definitely a good idea to keep charge jumping whoever mentioned that, maybe mokey)

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »

What sort of focus does the game have? The different character abilities make me imagine a blend of puzzles and combat.

As it turns out, the game is mostly combat -- with a lot of choices to make!
No button mashing here if you want to do well at all!

That said, you can button mash and never die,
yet at the same time you still have a greater goal to aspire to.

Anyway, yeah. Answering this question in hindsight now,
there is mainly combat with some decision-making
and planning involved and a lot of possibilities.

There are no 'puzzles' in the traditional sense.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »

It was me. You need the timing near perfect for the first jump in the room I mentioned, because you need to jump off stairs. You also need absolutely perfect timing for the two square jump, although thats only useful for if you fall in a two block pit, and don't want your partners help.

This jump might work, but I don't think Pinky could fit though that gap; and if we made room, I don't think he could bounce 3 spaces back.

I think what you have counts as puzzles, even though they aren't very complex puzzles. You could easily add more complex puzzles with some interesting level design and maybe a couple more objects if necessary.

Unrelated to puzzles: You should have a room with a series of platforms and a gate at the end to smash though.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »

First jump: You don't need to jump off the stairs but it's tough, I agree
A room like that could be cool :3

Pinky is still kind of limited, especially to the person playing him.

Should I be doing something to remedy this? I can't make an alternate attack, but I'm thinking something along the lines of:

When Pinky is moving quickly, any time he collides with an enemy the enemy will be hurt instead of him (damage will probably be very minor)! However, Pinky will lose all of his momentum such that being swarmed will still lead to being injured. (Also, special attacks like Sparky's sparks or Pewpew's attacks will absorb his momentum)

Feel like it would be... too easy?

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »

Three ideas, in order of excitingness:

1: An Iji-like system where damage just makes him lose sparks, and when he takes a few hits in a short period, he does the normal damage taking thing.

2: Like you said, but have him lose a small amount of sparks when hitting enemies without charging, kind of like Blinky's attack, to make it not OP.

3: Have him stun/knockback enemies right next to him when he lands from a jump, with a more powerful effect with longer range and maybe a screen shake when he does a long fall. (Maybe even a damaging area for a really long fall.) It would help make him feel heavier, and would give him a way to get more space/time for a charge. It also give him the ability to lead the way vertically like he can horizontally.

You could do 1 and another one, but 2 and 3 together would be too much.

Something about charging I forgot to mention earlier: Jumping over mines mid-charge to hit a Mine Roller in a long flat area. I did it once, and it felt so satisfying.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »

Speaking of Mine Rollers and long flat areas (that sounds awesome with Pinky :D):

Should Blinky's shots cost power, creating a spark at the point of impact? (They would also be boosted in power.) It would mean that you'd have to be near enemies for continued use but it could also mean severe ineffectiveness at shorter ranges.

I suppose having less time to pick up the dropped sparks is punishment enough.

~

That sounds cool! I could probably do #3 without much difficulty :D will try that out.

It has been tried out.

IT IS AMAZING.

~

Also, is anyone interested in maybe throwing some levels together for me?

If you have ogmo editor, and a willingness to make some simple levels (seriously, everything is -very- simple) then I can send you the project file and the data folder.

I don't need more levels; I will be fine on my own, but it might be cool to get some fresh ideas :3
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:35:41 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2010, 07:24:54 PM »

I would like to give it a try, but I'll be spending a lot of time playing reach starting tomorrow, so it's unlikely that I'll make any any time soon. (Unless I make some today.)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2010, 05:25:22 PM »

This has been a success.

All levels are completed.

Most bugs have been ironed out.

The game will not see a PC release too soon but don't worry: it will appear  Hand Shake Left Wizard Hand Shake Right

Also I still need music and sound and a title screen and things of that nature but whatever. It will be good and then it will be even better.

Depending on how I feel about it, there might might might be online capability in the full flash-on-computer release.

KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »

Also I still a title screen
hey sup, drip drop. I could help with this part.

EEEEEEEGH
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic