Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:59:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEDGE - A Java2D Game Engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: EDGE - A Java2D Game Engine  (Read 2010 times)
Jacob_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:53:58 AM »

My next project is going to be pretty big (might take a year, who knows) so I'm working on a good base for it first. The name stands for Extendable 2D Game Engine, Easy 2D Game Engine, or nothing at all, pick whichever you prefer Smiley It's designed for side scrolling games, primarily shooters but you could make just about anything.

My plan is to finish the engine, then make a game with it, then possibly release the code for the engine if anyone's interested.

Current features:
-The system is based on maps and entities. Maps and entities made of primitives are saved as text files and can be created without coding; entities can be made dynamic using an EntityBehavior class.
-Embedded physics using JBox2D - boxes and joints are currently implemented
-Textures on objects, can be stretched or tiled
-You can have a unit represent whatever number of pixels you want. However, if you have entities with custom rendering code (like the example player) you'll probably want to choose one and stick with it to avoid performing lots of expensive coordinate transformations every frame.
-Input system - key codes can be binded to actions using a text file, or you can subclass InputProcessor, or access the InputState directly in your game loop
-Very basic GUI, currently movable frames, labels, and buttons only.

Planned stuff:
-Weapons (this is what I'm currently working on, the laser gun in his hand does nothing right now)
-Finish the map editor
-Applet support (I would like to have the same .jar be usable as either an app or an applet)
-Sound (I was hoping to avoid using native libraries if possible, but if the Java sound system isn't adequate I might have to use FMod or OpenAL)
-Graphics effects (lighting, tint, fog, screen shake, etc)
-Particle systems
-Multiplayer

I don't want to post a demo yet since it's not any fun, but here's some screenshots for now.

And for those who like to measure programming progress by amount of code written:

I'll try to keep this thread updated!
maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »

this will get you sued by that sad old crackpot what'sname, rousing furious indignation amongst indies and catapulting your project to fame...clever Gentleman

will you post a demo anyway? People around here are pretty good at having fun with not-fun things. Personally I've cultivated so strong a taste for incomplete work that I am no longer able to play finished games.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »

this will get you sued by that sad old crackpot what'sname, rousing furious indignation amongst indies and catapulting your project to fame...clever Gentleman
And in case you don't know what he's talking about: http://www.tigsource.com/2009/05/29/tim-langdell-the-edge-of-insanity/

st33d
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »

Please keep the name.
Jacob_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »

will you post a demo anyway? People around here are pretty good at having fun with not-fun things. Personally I've cultivated so strong a taste for incomplete work that I am no longer able to play finished games.

That article is hilarious, if that guy really wants to sue me to defend a common word I'm not even using commercially I'd love to see the reaction Tongue

And I'm feeling nice, so here is the demo: http://1scripts.net/EDGE.zip

Entity commands:
add [box name localX localY w h|weld name part1 part2 anchorX anchorY|hinge name part1 part2 anchorX anchorY]
setcolor r g b
setbehavior behaviorClassName
setmainpart mainPartName
setfixedrotation [true|false]
setfixed [true|false]
setcollidable [true|false]
merge part1 part2

Map commands:
mapdata w h gravity
setspawn x y
entity type posX posY
box posX posY sizeX sizeY
setfixed [true|false[
setcolor r g b
settexture textureName tileX tileY
setlayer [0,1,2]

Use A, D, W, to move. The map test.edgemap is loaded when you start the demo. When you click the entity in the file crate.ent is added wherever you clicked the mouse. The laser gun in your hand currently does nothing.
pla1207
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 02:45:17 AM »

hehey that's great !!..funny I'm doing exactly the same thing right NOW !
so far I've also discovered a bug:
If you walk to the wall and jump while keep walking to it, you're climbing up the wall.that behaviour is freaking me out in my own stuff...anyways I'm really happy to see a rebel fighting the dark side Big Laff
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:03:44 AM »

My plan is to finish the engine, then make a game with it

You got the order wrong.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic