Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:52:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)ASCIIPaint and WEPaint
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: ASCIIPaint and WEPaint  (Read 98133 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »

This is so cool!

Though I suck at it Tongue

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »

Suggestions:

- Replace colors brush (keeps character but change colors)
- 2x zoom mode
- Have the original CGA font as an option (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:CGA8x8thick.png)
- Have the C64 PETSCII and palette as an option (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETSCII - I can make it into a sprite sheet if you're interested)

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »

A select tool is absolutely critical. I want to copy, paste and move around pieces of the picture, especially when making mockups.

Indeed, I know that can be useful. I'll add it to the list of stuff I need to implement.

You must use code page 437. This is what most if not all roguelikes use. If you compare it to yours, you can see that it includes certain characters missing from your set... Like horizontal half-tiles, and trantitions between single and double box drawing symbols.

Can you find that character set in a 16x16 image like the one that shows in the program?

I'll be all over this once brush-sizes are implemented.

Working on it! This should have been added in minutes but I got sidetracked. WTF Sorry.

- Replace colors brush (keeps character but change colors)

Right now you can do this by using character 0, I believe, on a layer above the one you want. But I can probably rework this.

- 2x zoom mode

I wanted to keep the program itself within the console restrictions, but I'll see about releasing a 2x version.

- Have the original CGA font as an option (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:CGA8x8thick.png)

Is that the same as the one Core Xii mentioned?

Also, does anyone know the name of the font I'm using?

- Have the C64 PETSCII and palette as an option (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETSCII - I can make it into a sprite sheet if you're interested)

Yeah, I'd like a sprite-sheet of that.

This tool is Awesome!! Addicted
//zombee

That looks great Strom. Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »

Haha, awesome. an ascii shmup sounds like an awesome idea.

pretty good, but some things are very annoying.

Care to elaborate? Smiley

Also, nice blood bits.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »

Thosr're hot, robolee, easyname.

something more generic

Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »

They have mostly been said, but I'll list them.

-no select tool, to move parts of the image (I actually resorted to rearranging some of the UI in GG afterwards)
-needs a simple "Clear image" button and a "Clear to current tile"
-couldn't figure out how to use the text tool for ages which added a lot of wasted time (you should add the instructions to the OP)
-changing a part of the image is arduous, i.e the movement grid was a 9*9 grid at first and there was no background colour, and I also changed the colour of the tiles in between the buttons, which means that tile picker all the way over to the right, then moving the cursor all the way to the left to change colour and back again.
-I was hoping that I could use the arrow keys or something to change either the colour or the tile.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

Just a mockup, because mockups are awesome.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:36:47 PM by Glyph » Logged

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »

Halfway done. C64's PETSCII leaves a lot of characters open, so I've been filling them with characters from other C64 games.

edit: nevermind, I found a huge resource of commodore characters so I'll be rehashing this
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:11:30 PM by Zaratustra » Logged

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:15 PM »

Can you find that character set in a 16x16 image like the one that shows in the program?

This should be a dump of the very original IBM character set.

And yea, it's the same one Zaratustra was talking about.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 03:12:17 PM »

Melly's has prettier graphical tiles, though. I don't know where he got his from.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »

I think I exaggerated. C64 charset:

I will work next on integrating code page 437 to the charset you have there for a decent PC charset.

EDIT: Here.

Also, a study towards a racing game.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:07:04 PM by Zaratustra » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »

Haha.

I'll see about adding those in when the time comes.

Also, amazing pictures guys. Kiss

Zaratustra, I altered my char set in some ways, yes, to make it prettier.

I'll also add a short image tutorial within the program itself. I'll add that to the list.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:47:21 PM by Melly » Logged

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »

WIP

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »

WIP

What. That's very sleek looking. Palette reminds me of canabalt.

A game of mine: Ten Second War
Chandagnac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 03:23:10 AM »

This program is awesome- but for some reason, it won't recognise the files it saves for me. Not only that, but it saves in a really ridiculous location- buried off in some folder in Unity's stuff.

I can still just do everything in one go and then save it as a .PNG, I guess, but... any idea why it's doing this/how to stop it?

EDIT: Ok, it seems like it was just saving them as generic files for a while there, so I manually renamed them to .APP and .APL files. Then it still wouldn't recognise them, I restarted it a bit, it crashed, and now it's recognising them fine again.

No idea what caused it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:29:39 AM by Chandagnac » Logged
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »

This program is awesome. It's pure ascii propaganda.
I'll play with this, promess.
Anyway, the first thing I tought about it was "Where's zoom? EYES HURT!". Especially on high resolutions.
Scaling the window might do the trick, but it murders all the pixels  Epileptic

*blog - *tweet - *leon
TheBreadCat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »

I made another one

this is actually a game I've wanted to play for a very long time - a roguelike where you play as a wild animal and have to survive to mate and foster a new generation. Detailed injuries (with accompanying visual guide) and the ability to gradually evolve, gaining new traits like horns, platy flesh armor, large claws specialized for digging, etc. Play as an Herbivore, Carnivore, Insectivore, or Omnivore, a biped, quadruped, or serpent, a reptile, mammal, amphibian, or ave. You'd also be able to switch between your senses so if you have horrible eyesight switch to hearing and you'll echo-locate, or to feeling and you'll sense vibrations (given that your senses are good enough to do either of those). man, I want to play this game.
ME TO!

Twitter: marcoaslak
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »

WIP

What. That's very sleek looking. Palette reminds me of canabalt.
That's because it's supposed to be Canabalt  Tongue

I tried making the runner once and horribly failed, I'll try to finish it up today.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »

this is actually a game I've wanted to play for a very long time - a roguelike where you play as a wild animal and have to survive to mate and foster a new generation. Detailed injuries (with accompanying visual guide) and the ability to gradually evolve, gaining new traits like horns, platy flesh armor, large claws specialized for digging, etc. Play as an Herbivore, Carnivore, Insectivore, or Omnivore, a biped, quadruped, or serpent, a reptile, mammal, amphibian, or ave. You'd also be able to switch between your senses so if you have horrible eyesight switch to hearing and you'll echo-locate, or to feeling and you'll sense vibrations (given that your senses are good enough to do either of those). man, I want to play this game.

Hm. This might be an interesting extension to what I did with Family Genom.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic