Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412050 Posts in 69450 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: AventurineLe

June 22, 2024, 02:52:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Hall of Fame for Games Featuring Outstanding Pixel Art
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Hall of Fame for Games Featuring Outstanding Pixel Art  (Read 158767 times)
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2010, 03:18:17 PM »

Those pictures are making huge waves of nostalgia rush over me... and I haven't even played any of the Mana games.
pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »

Those pictures are making huge waves of nostalgia rush over me... and I haven't even played any of the Mana games.

Oh no! Get a SNES multitap, an old CRT TV, a good old SNES and a basement, and go play Secret of Mana with 2 friends now!  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

And it's too bad that Seiken Densetsu 3 never got released in North America.

jwk5
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2010, 10:02:26 AM »

Guilty Gear, people.

It just dawned on me that the sign says "Fairy Hamet" and not "Fairy Hamlet". Hookt un fonix werkt fer mi!

Also, Persona 2 had some pretty killer sprite work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:08:00 AM by jwk5 » Logged
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2010, 10:36:59 AM »

Now that you brought my attention to the sign, I noticed the elf(?) on the left side, he's style kinda clashes with the rest of the stuff on screen...

Kramlack
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »

Dragon Warrior (Quest) 3 on the GBC (and SNES version as well) are amazing. The sprites are very readable and the animation is ridiculously fluid.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2010, 08:24:40 AM »

Heart of Darkness, anyone?
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2010, 01:05:40 PM »

And it's too bad that Seiken Densetsu 3 never got released in North America.
download patched/translated rom, use old computer monitor, hook up controller to PC

PROBLEM SOLVED Cool
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2010, 07:35:33 AM »

I dont think I saw Ragnarok Online here.
Although it is a 2.5D game, I must say I love most all the monster sprites they have.
Some of the animations are a bit lazy in terms of wonderful animation, but the rendering of these sprites are top notch.

(awe I hotlinked...) Will have to collect these sprites myself I guess. ^.^;
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:45:59 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

ink.inc
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »

Regarding Guilty Gear-

You see Bridget and think: Hmm, slutty nun with a yoyo. Tacky, but whatever

Then you realize

Bridget is a man
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »

Bridget is a man

Everyone knows this
ink.inc
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2010, 12:42:53 PM »

I did not
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »

Regarding Guilty Gear-

You see Bridget and think: Hmm, slutty nun with a yoyo. Tacky, but whatever

Then you realize

Bridget is a man
Putting your hand in fire burns.
Just a heads up, might save you from burn sensations. Also: water is wet.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »

in other breaking news:
Basil Marceaux dot com doesn't support slavery at traffic lights
America owes China a lot of money
Obama is black
Orange is a color
ink.inc
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »

Facepalm
JutsBeaumont
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »

Demon's Crest:
Somebody posted it before, but it was a single, scaled and blurred screenshot; it hardly does the game justice, so i'll provide some shots of my own. a few of them have certain layers turned off, so if you find that firebrand is inexplicably missing that would be why.

I adore the underwater segments in this game.

Flashback:
Also mentioned before, but a similar situation as Demon's Crest. Oversized, blurred screenshots, so i'll provide two of my own.

Nosferatu:
This game is not very well known; which is a shame, graphically speaking it is fantastic (the "gameplay" on the other hand is a little bit lacking, although more on the level of flawed brilliance rather than sour-mediocrity). It's sense of atmosphere and ambiance is exceptional.

Super Castlevania IV:
Super Castlevania IV is kind of an interesting case, graphically speaking; the sprites themselves are not at all good, often bordering between bad and just above mediocre. but that's not really the point - super castlevania IV, as a game, is much more about the environments and the composition of all of the games visual elements; the character, the hud, the enemies and the multi-layered backgrounds, than any singular element.

In some ways, even with the individual elements in the background you can tell that the game is vaguely prototypical; it was a very early SNES release, after all. I should elaborate on what I mean: some of the tiling is odd and it isn't uncommon for background elements to get kind of an odd, gaudy "flat" look to them.

but the way the game is illustrated somehow makes that charming. i think, ultimately, there are two factors that make super castlevania IV stick out, graphically speaking: the first, is its usage of color. Like the NES castlevania's before it, SCIV prides itself on utilizing a large array of bizarre (yet sullen and earthy) tones in its backgrounds, both within individual elements and between the differing elements. A good example of the latter is the cave, above, which utilizes yellow-browns and faded blues for the tiles, but the background itself is a surreal green; another good example of the aforementioned comes from...

the water ruins segment in level 3, which merges browning architecture with bright green foliage, blue water, and a deep, saturated purple sky.

these two shots are two of my favorites from the game, both of which exemplify a grand sense of import utilizing very few set-pieces and understated color schemes; these two, especially the latter, bring composition to the forefront.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:53:40 PM by Gizmonicgamer » Logged
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »

^^ Very nice post, thank you! ^^

Facepalm

I facepalmed at Track Eleven, too. Everyone knows orange is a fruit.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2010, 02:06:24 AM »

Dude, Gizmonicgamer... that... was awesome. Tears of Joy
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »

Some Amiga gems (in no particular order)...

Ruff 'n' Tumble

(more screenshots)

Slam Tilt

(more screenshots)

Banshee

(more screenshots)

Dragonstone

(more screenshots - too few, unfortunately: the game had several other cool scenarioes)

Skeleton Krew

(more screenshots)

Soccer Kid

(more screenshots; keep in mind that there are two layers: the background one in 8 colors and the foreground one, where the action happens, in 7 colors + transparent color)

Finally, The Misadventures of Flink has already been mentioned (the MegaDrive version, at least), but here you can find lots of pictures more (from the Amiga CD32 version).

(All the screenshots taken from Hall Of Light)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:18:32 AM by saimo » Logged
JutsBeaumont
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »

Dude, Gizmonicgamer... that... was awesome.
Thanks.  Smiley
 I-I'll probably get some more shots for Nosferatu sometime soon, I only really showed the first room and it's such a good looking game.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2010, 07:58:58 AM »

Some Amiga gems (in no particular order)...

My eyes have been opened  Shocked
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic