Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:48:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Hall of Fame for Games Featuring Outstanding Pixel Art
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Hall of Fame for Games Featuring Outstanding Pixel Art  (Read 157588 times)
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 01:46:10 AM »

BlazBlue (series):

I honestly don't believe this was actually pixeled. They must have software to convert it to something like this.
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:36 AM »

Yeah, I definitely read somewhere (on Gamasutra, I think?) that to speed up the process, Blazblue's sprites were 3D modeled first. Then after they were satisfied, they traced over them. And when that was complete, they manually edited things to make the frames look more natural.

konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »

As I metioned, they pretty much always traced something for pixel art fighters, mainly traditional animation in the past!
kwakkie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2010, 03:54:15 AM »

Kind of surprised that Breath of fire 4 isnt mentioned yet. One of the best sprites and animations I have ever seen in an RPG. Combined with the 3D environments it is the most beautifull game ever released on the PSX in my opinion!

Unfortunately you can hardly find any good screenshots of it online, let me know if any of you are interested in seeing more, I took a shitload of them during a playtrough in an emulator.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2010, 05:41:06 AM »

Oooh, a 3D game with as cool low-res textures as there would be absolutely amazing!

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:14 AM »

i dont really consider guilty gear/blazblue pixel art. mostly because a) they use absolutely no pixel techniques aside from LINES UND SHADING and b) because they are meant to be seen with AA added in or they look sort of shitty

Lo
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »

Kind of surprised that Breath of fire 4 isnt mentioned yet. One of the best sprites and animations I have ever seen in an RPG. Combined with the 3D environments it is the most beautifull game ever released on the PSX in my opinion!
Unfortunately you can hardly find any good screenshots of it online, let me know if any of you are interested in seeing more, I took a shitload of them during a playtrough in an emulator.

Couldn't find any good screenshots either, thanks for the eye-candy. I'm interested in getting more, if you could upload the whole thing somewhere or email it to me it would be great =)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »

Dodonpachi has the most ridiculously good pixel art I've seen in any shmup.

Those enemy ships are fucking ridiculous. Shocked

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

This is like a babe thread but for cool people.
We need more NES titles. I'd post some of Ptoing's U-Head mockups but it isn't a real game. Sad

Batman Returns

Shatterhand

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »

Gunforce 2

Holy god, this is amazing. This looks like Metal Slug times five.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2010, 05:34:57 PM »

Mr. Gimmick!
TIGsource not mentioning Gimmick? Really now. EDIT: Essential just beat me to it.

Dodonpachi
It has such vibrant colors, I just love it.

Snatcher
I think I've name-dropped Snatcher far too many times now, but yes, I love Snatcher.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »

Gunforce 2

Holy god, this is amazing. This looks like Metal Slug times five.

Same team, I think!

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/irem/irem.htm
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2010, 06:05:54 PM »

Well, no wonder. Irem are gods.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »

Just like the article alludes to, it really does play like a proto-Metal Slug. With much more action and explosions.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »

There is a time when it becomes too much. I was looking at pics from the late NEOGEO games and they must have been using small armies of artists. It becomes total sausagefest. You can't even enjoy the art anymore.
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/Neo-Geo/MetalSlug3-Mission4.png

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »

I wouldn't say that the problem is excess, but that there's very little uniqueness in the areas, landmarks and the sort. And the few landmarks that are there, are pretty uninteresting anyway. It just looks good technique-wise. While it may be a factor, I don't think that's necessarily the fault of little armies.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
kenesque
Level 1

mover of pixels

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2010, 12:44:48 AM »

BlazBlue (series):

I honestly don't believe this was actually pixeled. They must have software to convert it to something like this.

The process used by both current KoF and BlazBlue is actually a 3d model with extremely rough exturework (enough to know where all the details are), then the frames are taken from a 3d animation and fine tuned heavily. It's actual sprite work, but in the sense that it's merely animation done with lines being pixels and done under a color allotment for color swapping purposes. There's pixel manipulation but it's nowhere near as refined as most of the other games posted in this thread. They do need to do pixel by pixel adjustment though so it barely passes into the level of pixel art. Nowhere near as impressive though.
i dont really consider guilty gear/blazblue pixel art. mostly because a) they use absolutely no pixel techniques aside from LINES UND SHADING and b) because they are meant to be seen with AA added in or they look sort of shitty
Neither BlazBlue or Guilty Gear have AA. Sorry.

I really really love the work in BoF4, the watercolor look seems to make a lot of people kind of miffed but it was a good art style. If you look at the colors they use they are really good to study.

Pretty much any 2D game Capcom made between the year 1997 and 2002 had absolutely amazing pixelwork.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »

Neither BlazBlue or Guilty Gear have AA. Sorry.
there's automatic AA added in. check the options in one of the games and you can turn it on and off (at least you can in accent core)

Lo
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland

Scurge: Hive

Magical Starsign

There is not nearly enough love for this game.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »

Final Fight - kinda goes without saying!

Shadow of the Beast

Agony

Cadaver

Earthbound

Contra

Some of these have aged better than others, but they all blew me away when they came out.

Castle of Illusion
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:24:53 PM by Jasper Byrne » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic