Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:48:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNew Forum Icons!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: New Forum Icons!  (Read 102749 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:21:14 AM »

You can use these message icons to let people know what platforms you're working on (and hopefully get more feedback because of it)! Thanks, Oddball, for donating the icons.

Gentleman

I find the browser/flash logos too distracting when compared to the other logos, so I decided to have a go at an alternative.

Whilst I was at it I had a go at a couple of others.

And finally I redid the old icons to make their backgrounds transparent.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:58:02 PM by Derek » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:23:17 AM »

I think we need one for "Browser" though. "Flash" is not really a viable substitute.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:34:04 AM »

Thanking you, Derek.
namre
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:40:27 AM »

Woot!

I think we need one for "Browser" though. "Flash" is not really a viable substitute.
I agree since they can be UNity, Flash, or HTML5 or something.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:09:01 AM »

They don't belong into a generic "browser" category. I don't have any Unity, Silverwhatever or other stupid plugins installed.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 05:13:08 AM »

Just use browser icons. All of them. Merged into one abomination that will appear in nightmares. Think Firefox + Chrome + Safari = Chromefox with safari hat.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 06:19:56 AM »

They don't belong into a generic "browser" category. I don't have any Unity, Silverwhatever or other stupid plugins installed.
But I think the line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise we'll end up with far too many icons. A generic browser category would probably be best, but there isn't a suitably identifiable 'generic browser' icon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:25:49 AM by Oddball » Logged

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:09:55 AM »

Couldn't browser-based stuff be marked as Linux+Mac+Windows?  Assuming the plug-in needed is available for each of those platforms.

Seems to me the icons exist to let people know if they'll be able to run stuff without having to read the thread, so it'd work for that purpose.  Of course they might have to download the Silverlight or Unity plug-in or even a different browser, but plenty of games also require installing the XNA re-distributable or similar things.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 07:16:55 AM »

Yes! Awesome work Oddball and Derek!

Just like with Core, I don't have Unity, Silver-something nor working Flash (Adobe's fault).

Having a special icon for Flash works perfectly for me, as I know I can't play it. Just adding a few more common ones (like a browser-Unity-logo) would perhaps do the trick?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:28:11 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:37:05 AM »

I feel that these icons are completely unnecessary in general. Linux and OS X users can run most Windows indie games perfectly well with Wine and CrossOver, and indie games that don't have a Windows version are practically unheard of (and the rare oddball that lacks a Windows version should indicate that in the title).

EDIT: Perhaps not 'most'...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:45:21 AM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
increpare
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »

I feel that these icons are completely unnecessary in general. Linux and OS X users can run most Windows indie games perfectly well with Wine and CrossOver,
That's not true at all for me.  My laptop (which is quite new) chokes on most GM games, or they play like shit.  I'd say I have about a 50% success rate running games under wine.

(edit: just tried spelunky there with the latest wine, to reassure myself - I can't see anything, only sound works).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:53:15 AM by increpare » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »

This is good.

hi
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »

i wonder if any game ever will use this one

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 03:40:49 AM »

There's enough Microsoft haters out there. It wouldn't surprise me if there were websites dedicated to non-microsoft games in the dark recesses of the interwebs.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »

Anything written in Google Go would qualify.

Or anything that depends on Unix-tools, like games that run in a terminal.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 04:20:11 AM »

(edit: just tried spelunky there with the latest wine, to reassure myself - I can't see anything, only sound works).
Spelunky works for me, though it lags like a motherfucker. Try turning the pixel scale to 1x in config. Though, wine has patchy repeatability of bugs on various machines in my experience, so this mightn't help at all Smiley

Dacke, why no flash?

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »

Adobe doesn't support 64 bit Linux.

If you create your own operating system, you have to get "approved" by the owners of proprietary formats (like Flash). This is why I'm so passionately opposed to closed standards, like Flash. It lets the powerful keep the powerful powerful.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »

;-; that's sad, don't all those less than great but acceptable OSS flash players have 64-bit versions? I've only ever run 32-bit *nix, I wouldn't know. Also I definitely agree about the whole proprietary standards thing.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 12:55:07 AM »

You can use the 32-bit version instead. It just won't accept mouse/keyboard input, from me.

Anyway.. I'm really tempted to program a game in Google Go now, to get to use . Oh, how I wish I had the time. Concerned

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:09 AM »

I actually think these icons would be a lot better if they didn't have the black outline. What do you guys think?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic