Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:04:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Walled Garden (Inspired by SMB, N+ and Metroid)
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]
Print
Author Topic: The Walled Garden (Inspired by SMB, N+ and Metroid)  (Read 143154 times)
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2024, 12:39:39 PM »

Started adding some of the original artwork to get the state systems in place.
The standard attack covers both above and in front, when falling downwards you swipe down automatically when attacking.

Seen a few videos online about Coyote Jumping or Jump Buffer.
Also made the attack work a bit different than every other action metroid out there, because why not?

The attack will simply auto attack down if you are falling. Allowing for advance movement without directional input, just some timing of the attack is required this way.

Potential new slash animation/hitbox

Jumping exactly as you strike the ground will give you a boost jump now, you are also given some forward momentum if in the air and you perform a regular slash while going up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:55:11 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: March 31, 2024, 07:42:51 AM »

Figured these guys could use a long overdue graphics overhaul

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: April 01, 2024, 09:12:48 PM »

Good evening, more updates tonight.

Added some leaf sprites to the trees, to give them some variety instead of just green circles.
Even added some nice looking apple blossoms.

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: April 03, 2024, 03:20:28 AM »

I really like your sketches and GIFs. It promises world systems, even though I'm not sure if it translates to actual gameplay.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: April 03, 2024, 05:18:57 AM »

Going to be looking for some play testers pretty soon. For stress test purposes and seeing how it runs on different systems.
If you're interested in such, please let me know here so I can reach out to you when the time comes.

Will likely release on indieDB and itch.io for now. Steam will come after, if at all.

I really like your sketches and GIFs. It promises world systems, even though I'm not sure if it translates to actual gameplay.
The gameplay and levels are still WIP. I'm working on solidifying the world systems before I move forward on the level design. Last time I got too distracted by the world system that I didn't have a game to play at the end of it.
This time I'm generally focused on what the main game loop might actually be.

I just want to build a world to watch it all burn to the ground. For myself, no one else.
That's why the game project has been a fifteen year love project. If other people like it, that's cool too.
It will be released for the public to enjoy probably for free, but I'm making the game that I want to play first and foremost.

As for the actual gameplay loop, I'm thinking of turning the main hub into a tower defense wave type phase. I added a "tipi", perhaps you have to protect and upgrade your shelter with coins. Something along the lines of the player growing their own world tree and protecting it while it grows. Have yet to implement that, and unsure if I will actually use that idea. The player could maybe upgrade turrets or "Zen Trees" to protect the base, ect.

"Like the Genesis flood narrative, the Genesis creation narrative and the account of the Tower of Babel, the story of Eden echoes the Mesopotamian myth of a king, as a primordial man, who is placed in a divine garden to guard the tree of life."

The game has generally been geared towards more of a non-game simulation thing than a traditional game in any sense.
The new version has 3 endings planned, originally it was just a linear one ending game.

Prior till the new update, the trees didn't even actually have any gameplay mechanics they were purely aesthetic, where as now the trees control the creation of Apples to heal the player.

The trees also respawn "Grubs" if there is less than 3 in the level. This occurs after a tree finishes shaking from either a sword attack or a medium/heavy enemy walking passed. Grubs are the most basic unit in the game, they create seeds which can create trees, which in turn, create grubs.

This is the gameplay, just have to begin designing the levels around the world system and enemy interactions now.

It's essentially a very simple self sustaining ecosystem now. With the day and night system I can add things like special events in levels that only take place at certain times of the day. I'm thinking night time might be a good time to do the "wave attack" on the main hub. An example of this is the clouds will generate rain based on their distance to the sun, which in turn helps grow more plant life.

Or certain enemy units might only be active during the day and sleep at night.

The world systems exist to create emergence so interactions will happen that I can only predict so much. This way enemy reactions aren't limited to only the players input but also the other enemy units or items around them. Including output from the world system I've created.

If players want to speedrun to end of the game, they are free to. But for those who want to stick around the garden and smell the roses. This is stuff more geared towards a casual player or curious players like a zen garden, with the deeper game being for the hardcore players. With the casual players probably just scratching the surface and only playing for a short time.

παράδεισος

I'm not saying our physical earth is flat, but this virtual one is.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:40:50 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: April 04, 2024, 04:40:55 PM »

Started making a new basic dialogue system

It works with multiple dialogue options, trying to work on getting asking questions to work.
Might make it a menu the player can control with up and down. Not sure yet still figuring that out. Hand Pencil Cool

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: April 05, 2024, 07:14:34 PM »

Things in life are a bit heated, needed to chill out.
Felt like animating wind tonight.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 08:07:30 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: April 12, 2024, 10:38:25 PM »

Had some things come up this week but I'm back at it.  Cool

Water effects can add depth and realism to game environments, bringing them to life in ways that static elements cannot. In this guide, we'll walk through the process of creating dynamic water effects.

Setting Up the Water Object (oWater):

Define the oWater object to represent the water surface.
Use surface_points to simulate wave displacement.
Initialize surface_points to create a baseline water surface.

Updating Water Displacement:

Implement logic to update water displacement based on nearby entities.
Adjust displacement based on the velocity of entities entering or exiting the water.
Use conditional statements to differentiate between upward and downward movements.

Drawing the Water Surface:

Implement the Draw Event for oWater.
Draw a line connecting each point in surface_points to visualize the water surface.
Adjust line drawing to create a smooth wave effect.

Fine-Tuning and Adjustments:

Experiment with parameters such as splash_strength and effect_threshold to achieve desired water behavior.
Test the game to observe how changes affect the water's appearance and interaction.
Iterate on the design to create realistic and visually appealing water effects.

Going to try and make a dynamic waterline this time around.
It didn't take too long to get something working based on input from an oEntity

Glitchy!

Just had to manage when the splash would trigger

Fine tuning the displacement and threshold, need to add a wave upward when going in, so the water doesn't just return to flat line right away. That should give it a more liquid feel.

Added horizontal movement

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:47:20 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic