Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:11:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGRandom Comments and Advice for 8-Bit Gun Tales
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Random Comments and Advice for 8-Bit Gun Tales  (Read 16586 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 12:25:48 AM »

my review about this thread is that's stupid...

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »

now now

Corpus
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 03:46:28 AM »

Mr. Trianglehead: I think the gameplay was also cast in a more negative light than it, perhaps, would have been otherwise, simply because the graphics were so nice. I think it's not far off being a good game - you just need to resolve a few key issues with it. I remember you said in the game's thread that you were working on more of the game. Is that still the case?
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 06:00:03 AM »

One thing I really have to say: Wasn't the whole point of 8-bit Gun Tales that it had precise collision detection? Hanging off platforms by your nose/barrel and sniping enemies was sweet.
That was a nice feature, but to avoid other collision problems, masks should have been used.

The main character's mask should look something like this (Warning: Bad ASCII art)

WWWWWWWWW
WWWW
WWWW

In other words, it should be one large rectangle with a smaller rectangle jutting out. When the character reverses directions, it should flip around the center of the larger triangle, to avoid getting stuck in walls.

Finally, whenever the player reversed directions, it would need to check whether the gun's barrel would end up getting stuck in the wall. If that was the case, the character should back up without changing direction.

Also, if you're standing on the same platform as an enemy, you should be able to shoot it. Please, either make those laser boxes taller, or make the bullets larger (or make them create shock waves that kill all enemies nearby).

Those two simple changes are, in my opinion, the only major factors holding back 8Bit Gun Tales.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:02:51 AM by Nightshade » Logged

Corpus
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »

The collision hitbox or.. whatever isn't the problem, AFAIK. It's just the whole getting-stuck-in-platforms business, which could be solved just by changing the point about which the sprite flips.

I agree with Nightshade, though. Without those two faults, it would be a fun game.
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 08:30:30 AM »

you're not posting reviews, you're posting your opinions.

Often reviews are about 95% opinion and 5% "review" anyways... Don't pin me down on those numbers, but it's definitely why good games sometimes can get a horrible review.

"Fun is rule."
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »

Gah, ok, time to derail one last time, just to clarify things.

I did use masks on my sprites, and in fact, the one on the gun WAS exactly like how you drew it Nightshade. I think my problem was with sprite origins, they weren't placed at the right spot so that when you switch directions you fall instead of getting stuck in the walls.

As for checking the other collision issue, I tried figuring out the code for that, but I was unable to do so by the time the deadline hit, so I was forced to leave such a thing in.

The enemy bit... well that's just my bad Embarrassed But I assure you that once I start revamping things that'll be taken care of.

And to corpus, I'll be working on it once my schoolyear ends, which is the end of this month. I'll have 4 months this summer to plug away at it, and figure out how to fix the flaws it already has, and just a general revamp.

Ok, shitshit, I totally gotta stop hijacking this thread. If people wanna keep saying stuff about my game, please refer to my game thread. I'm really sorry for derailing things nightshade!!! My original post was supposed to be a joke!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »

Also, if you're standing on the same platform as an enemy, you should be able to shoot it. Please, either make those laser boxes taller, or make the bullets larger (or make them create shock waves that kill all enemies nearby).
That is only your opinion, I thought that having to find the precise moment to shoot while jumping was the key gameplay factor for this game. I found it a bit annoying at the beggining but I learnt and after a while I sort of enjoyed it. IMHO if you remove it there are not many things left to do except jumping on platforms.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »

Judging by the comments on this thread, posting it obviously wasn't a good idea. If I've offended anyone, then I apologize. That was never my intent; I only wanted to give advice that I had hoped would be useful.

If a mod could lock this thread, that would be great.

PS: If you did want my thoughts on your game, PM me.

Corpus
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »

No, I think it was a good idea on the whole. It just wasn't constructive so much as merely critical, but only in places.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic