Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 05:28:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCatapult for Hire (Alpha)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Catapult for Hire (Alpha)  (Read 2046 times)
tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:50:43 AM »

Hey All,

I'm pretty new to the whole indie scene and need a reality check because the amount of time I can work on games is going to be severely limited here in the next month or so.

It's called Catapult for Hire:

I put together a trailer here:

There is a heart and soul to this game that isn't quite a alive yet, but I'm getting closer. Imagine a healthy mix of Worms, Pilotwings, Peggle and Zelda.

You can try an early version of the game here (Unity Web Player):
http://games.pixelmega.com/catapult/play.html

The later levels are thrown together and can be pretty frustrating so take them with a grain of salt. I'm going to completely rip out the controls and start over make it more arcadey and less simulation focused. The cut-scenes will probably not exist in the final game either.

I've been working in isolation for too long so it's hard to tell if anyone besides myself will get any enjoyment out of the game. I really can't wait to make it to a game jam and meet some other indies, but in the meantime I would really appreciate to know what you think so far. Should I continue or move on to a different prototype?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »

the fact that you are even considering not finishing this project makes me want to hire a Ninja to kill you in your sleep 

This game owns and can only get better.
tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »

Thanks Allen. I'm definitely going to finish this, I'm just not sure when. I'm trying to figure out if I keep working on this with my spare time or get some smaller more avant-garde games together.

I guess I'm hoping that some feedback would help with that decision.

Another option I'm mulling is fix the controls, then severely change the scope of the game to a couple mini-games like golf, puzzle and point modes with different levels. See how people like the arcadey elements. Then do a campaign later with upgrades, companions and all the other crazy stuff.

Aiursrage2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:24:25 AM »

First problem I ran into was I couldnt use right click without it bringing up the unity web menu. You can solve this 2 ways the first is to simply remove it in the html, the other way is to lock the mouse.

I played the bunny level but was not sure I was actually getting them across (so maybe some confirmation wether its a failure or sucess).

For the tower level I knocked over the major tower and I thought it would end, however it kept going and I assume I also had to knock over the major wall ( I didnt quite know because I skipped the cutscene).

I think it would be nice to be able to auto-skip the cutcenes and than just show some sort of "quest log" of what you have to do for that mission.

It might be nice to have a maximum number of balls to complete the missions.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:45:20 AM by Aiursrage2k » Logged
tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »

What in the world.... I'm a finalist.  Shocked
http://www.indiepubgames.com/news/3rd-contest-community-favorite-and-finalists

Aiursrage2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »

Congrats! I reckon you will have to finish it now!
tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »

@Aiursrage2k Thanks! ... and thanks for the feedback. Everything you're saying is totally duly noted. I think the cutscenes in their current form will become highly monotonous. I want to tell more of the story outside of text. My plan is to make the overworld a lot more involved with world events and persistence.

Sheesh, I'm at a loss. I was in the middle up tearing up the carpet and destroying the walls for some major renovation on the game... hopefully I can clean up in time.

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »

Oh snap!

Who wants to be "FAP"?

(Read the last comment)

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/09/indiepub_reveals_community_fav.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IndependentGaming+%28Indie+Games%29

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

just got round to trying this.. really nice work!

I thought it was going to be fairly small when I loaded it up, then there were missions and a shop and an inventory.. love the dialogue humour Smiley

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »

Nice of them to be so willing to prove that they are legit. I have noticed a bit of distrust when it comes to indiepub (formerly 2bees) so it's a bit re-assuring that he would say stuff like that-I suppose.

I didn't notice you still get $1k just for being a finalist, that's pretty cool. Congrats  Hand Thumbs Up Left Cool
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic