Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411902 Posts in 69427 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 08, 2024, 04:35:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingbuild stuff: the game: in space: maybe
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: build stuff: the game: in space: maybe  (Read 3844 times)
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:00:05 AM »

vid #1

vid #2

I'm going to update people here on this.

The past 72 hours or so worth of work of making a construction toolset.

The concept is building a space dock to the upper atmosphere.

It will require basic planning of power sources and maintenance platforms.

However there will be enemies such as a type of fungus that eats away at your tower you have to fight off or space bats.

Also environmental factors such as volcanoes, earth quakes, meteor showers, or other various hazards requiring hiding within your built structure to survive.

Its planned to be a cooperative experience, between 2 and 64 people. (Thats a lot, and I'm factoring for that number to hone in as the design goes on)

Its running on the darkplaces engine. Quake 1 technology.

I hope its fun, all feedback appreciated. I'll try to keep you guys as up to date as possible.

danke
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:01:16 AM »

Looks pretty cool (:

Though you should post in the introduce yourself thread to show that you mean to get involved with the community.

mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:07:19 AM »

I second that.  It does look cool.  I can't quite visualize how it will play, so I will wait to see the next few videos before giving any feedback.  Keep it up!
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »

thanks guys! I also plan to keep this up to date with new info I just am hammering out the game design  Gentleman
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »

updates and stuff r go
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »

I like the placement in this demo better than the prior one.  What is your planned design timeframe?
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »

I currently don't have a planned time frame to finish it but I am testing the waters on rapid iteration and sharing with people my small increments in it.

Thanks for the input, I like the newest placement moreso as well.
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 02:35:50 PM »

update:

mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »

Interesting.  That video definitely made me more curious.  I thought that the addition of a hazard made the concept you initially described come to life a bit more, although I wasn't exactly sure what the flare did to your structure.  I assume that the climbing walls feature won't be in the final version?  Otherwise, I would be confused as to the purpose of having elevators and climbing.

In any case, it is still looking like a fun game to me.
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »

Im not really sure on what Im doing for climbing objects quite yet but yes Id prefer an emphasis on the creation of platforms to vertically construct.

Also I am going to attempt some level of "structural integrity" ruleset but fear all the little cases of this or that breaking the system would lead to more headaches than necessary.

However I do have some ideas on how to do that.

Its hard im sure to wrap your head around the idea, it just started but there will be combat as well as multiplayer construction.

Also as for the construction that'll require a resource that most likely will require some level of strategy to keep that in ample replenishment. (I was thinking drills on the surface for resources)

I also think i might try the overall goal of "reaching the top of the sky" which'd require building a tower smartly while also being attacked and various other hazards while also have side requirements possibly in resources or exploration.

I do however want to allow players a bit of a "sandbox mode" in which they can build to their heart's content. I just haven't quite figured out all the ins and outs of that.
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »

update!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:51:10 PM by ChrisPage » Logged
RyanT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 04:59:41 AM »

The game certainly looks interesting, I love space related games. I am not sure if I can offer much feedback though, the game still looks as if it is still in the early development stages.

http://www.terrortreehouse.com
A collection of science fiction short stories by Ryan Taylor.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 09:24:57 AM »

update!

What happens at the end of the video?

ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »

At the end of the video is some work I was doing from a previous video of a solar flare in which you have to hide out of sight from the sky above you. Smiley
ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 11:37:02 PM »

small update!  Epileptic

Johnman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 05:57:20 AM »

I've dreamt of a game like this for a long time. Keep it up! I'm specially looking forward to the cooperative part.

Looking very good so far. Are you planning some kind of class system (similar to Infiniminer) or an emergent kind of thing? Any kind of vehicles or structures for large scale building (cranes, etc)? Some kind of terraforming?

I like the hostile environment that solar flare seems to suggest. Will the environment change as you go up? Vacuum, EVA, low gravity and such?

I'm sorry about the wall of random ideas, but they kept coming to mind as I wrote Giggle
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 07:01:41 AM »

I like the concept. This sounds like an engineering challenge game, but i don't think i've ever played a multiplayer one yet.

Also I am going to attempt some level of "structural integrity" ruleset but fear all the little cases of this or that breaking the system would lead to more headaches than necessary.

I would love to see something like this in the game. At least a simplified integrity system like: All vertical structures are sound, then just worry about horizontal ones. I just think that ANY form of "you can't build that, the structure will collapse!" will add depth and strategy.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »

I would love to see something like this in the game. At least a simplified integrity system like: All vertical structures are sound, then just worry about horizontal ones. I just think that ANY form of "you can't build that, the structure will collapse!" will add depth and strategy.

I think a simple requirement that all blocks must be connected with the ground (as in standing on something and not floating in the air) would be enough.

ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »

another update

ChrisPage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »

oh wow all these people asked questions and I didn't even realise there was a page 2  Shocked

Anyways to get to those:

Are you planning some kind of class system (similar to Infiniminer) or an emergent kind of thing? Any kind of vehicles or structures for large scale building (cranes, etc)? Some kind of terraforming?

I like the hostile environment that solar flare seems to suggest. Will the environment change as you go up? Vacuum, EVA, low gravity and such?

1) I am looking into a kind of progression system in which all players begin with the ability to distribute a fair amount of points to kind of roughly shape their class prior to even joining servers (they store locally the kind of base character they'd want to be but also progress that character's profile cooperatively ala borderlands)

2)I would really really like to do some more complex larger type structures (especially objects that have interior such as rooms or roofed hallways). As for things that have complex functionality besides just being geometry like turrets and cranes yes that'd be really cool. I do also plan on a small note to have solar panels you can build on powered objects which generate credits for yourself/team.

3) Terra-forming I dont really think I can do that effectively in this technology, if something comes up that fits of course I'll rethink it but from my standpoint now most likely not (however environmental hazards or indigenous flora on the ground manipulated sounds perfectly reasonable)

4) As for height absolutely I really want to use the vertical awareness well, I have not come to a conclusion on exactly how that'll be short of solar panels generating more credits higher towards the sun. The gravity thing sounds like a really cool idea! Definitely will try that out  Wink

agreed, some very primitive structural integrity system similar to this is for sure on the todo. I was thinking the floors (more like lightweight catwalks) can be built out 3-4 tiles away from any structurally sound pillars as they're lite but larger objects must be on top of structurally sound objects or attached to them. I have been fighting between fun/customization/simplicity and some level of tactics/strategy to this system as I feel they're in constant battle there trying to get the best of both worlds.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic