Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:57:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow long should a game trailer be?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How long should a game trailer be?  (Read 7794 times)
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »

2 minutes and 22 seconds exactly.

I think your 4fourths trailer is an excellent example of a good trailer:

http://mikengreg.com/4fourths/

Nitromatic
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 06:32:26 AM »

If it's a hentai visual novel trailer, they usually are 1.5-3.0 minutes long.
Don't ask me how I know this.

And honestly, I don't want to know why they're that length, as I'm sure the answer would be TMI.  Shocked

They should last forever- I mean, I usually like when trailers show nice and funny things at beginning. Then they turn into HARDCORE. Showing some kickass puzzles at end would make me play game and scream "I am clever enough!"
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »

The trailer it's done

33 seconds turned out to be the time.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 06:50:30 AM »

it's okay but i think not showing gameplay / anything about the game until 13 seconds into a 33 second long video is a mistake; does all that intro time really help? if a video is 2 minutes then 13 seconds of intro seems fine, but to have more than 30% of a video be intro/filler feels weird

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 06:56:16 AM »

I think it's okay for a teaser trailer, I'll do another of the gameplay later but I feel it's pointless now because the game doesn't have an sponsorship yet so people interested in the game will have forgotten about it by the time it's released.

PS: And it could be a while, week and a half and just 6 sponsors played it and all in the first 5 days. No bids yet.

Nitromatic
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

It turned out to be very great. Cute hamster you got there. (I am into cuteness  Big Laff)
Congratulations!
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 07:18:17 AM »

I'm happy you chose a shorter trailer.

If TV has taught us anything, it's that 30 seconds is enough time to convey the most complex thing imaginable.

The only time a trailer should ever exceed 30 seconds (in my opinion) is if it is so edge-of-your-seat gripping that you don't even notice the time flying by. Like 4Fourths (mentioned above: http://mikengreg.com/4fourths/ )

I swear that trailer is only 10 seconds long, in my mind.

IndieElite4Eva
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »

The only problem with TV is you can't stop/pause/skip the commercial, so you're forced to watch it no matter what the commercial is about, unless you leave the room or turn off the tv.

And yeah, that's the reason I gave up TV for the last 5 years. Boy do I hate things you have to watch an advert for 30 seconds before watching a video on the net.

So having more than 30 seconds could be good if that person wants to watch it, like on a game review site. 30 seconds or less is probably best if the person may or may not like it like on a random site not related to indie games.

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »

Thank you Blackace and weasello, that trailer of 4fourths looks good!.
And KM, I always change the channel on commercials, it works great, but seriously I only watch tv occasionally because I like to watch my favourite shows on High def rather than in standar definition (My country has been slow on the adoption of HD).

weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »

So having more than 30 seconds could be good if that person wants to watch it, like on a game review site.

Keep in mind the trailer should be encouraging people to play your game - sometimes people do indeed want to see a longer trailer because they want to get the "game experience" over with so they don't have to actually play it.

The longer your trailer, too, the more chance someone is going to spot something they don't like and not try your game out.

Think "teaser" as opposed to "gameplay elements walkthrough".

IndieElite4Eva
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »

Actually doing this at the moment, I was going to aim for like a minute long trailer but its so much work lol.... So aiming for like 20-30 seconds now, most peoples attention spans will probably shut down then anyway  Sad  Maybe if it wasn't for a casual-ish game it might be different.

InhumanUndeadGames
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 04:33:44 PM »

My trailer for Chainsaw Man VS. The Communists (my first game to have an installer and trailer) will be 20-30 seconds for the big one, 7-10 seconds for the teaser.
The trailer it's done

Hand Metal LeftCrazyHand Metal Right PURE AWESOMENESS.
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »

My trailer for Chainsaw Man VS. The Communists (my first game to have an installer and trailer) will be 20-30 seconds for the big one, 7-10 seconds for the teaser.
The trailer it's done

Hand Metal LeftCrazyHand Metal Right PURE AWESOMENESS.

Thanks inhuman, nice comment on youtube. Tell me when your trailer is done I wanna check it out  Beer!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic