Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 09:58:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPlatformer settings?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Platformer settings?  (Read 4783 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »

I still want to see an upside down city, with a ceiling above and an endless abyss below, and the player spends a lot of time on balconies and catwalks and such.

Sort of like the inverted Stone Tower Temple in Majora's mask.

Looking down into an abyss of sky was pretty unsettling, especially when you had to take to the air.
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 05:03:10 PM »

Inside an Eldritch abomination.
Thanks for the idea.  Gentleman
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 05:46:41 PM »

Oh yeah! The Stone Tower Temple was totally awesome. It even had good music. But we need more.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »

Okay.

1.) A giant floating castle in the sky, holding a huge purple octapus that burps bubbles. Part of the level takes place in the castle, filled with the giant octapus's slime. The second part takes place inside the octapus, and the third part takes place riding one of octapus's bubbles into space. The bubble acts as a water level and naturally it has chunks of of the castle floating in it that the octapus has slowely been digesting over the years. Once you reach space the bubble pops and you die. The end.

2.) A meteorite in space with a giant tree growing on it. The tree is on fire though, because the middle of the metoerite is filled with lava, so it's a lava tree. The end of the level has you fighting a lava elemental on top of the tree's flaming branches.

3.) In the mind of a schizophrenic. You have to battle his inner demons, the color scheme is mostly purple and black. Every once in a while the stage will shift to another part of the stage randomly, sometimes the screen will flip and you'll be playing upside down, and the controls will reverse randomly.

If only I had the skills to pull these things off Cry
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:45:23 PM by rAzzB1tCH » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 04:32:20 AM »

3.) In the mind of a schizophrenic. You have to battle his inner demons, the color scheme is mostly purple and black. Every once in a while the stage will shift to another part of the stage randomly, sometimes the screen will flip and you'll be playing upside down, and the controls will reverse randomly.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/MINDistortion/mindscape

This is not what you have listed, but it is similar enough that you may enjoy it.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »

A level that is a giant sentence. The protagonist will have to pull off complicated jumps, climbs and other Prince of Persia style moves in order to traverse through a series of giant letters, and at the end of the level you get to read what the sentence said. It has potential for a short art game.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »

A level that is a giant sentence. The protagonist will have to pull off complicated jumps, climbs and other Prince of Persia style moves in order to traverse through a series of giant letters, and at the end of the level you get to read what the sentence said. It has potential for a short art game.

OH. Oh man.
I can never tell if that's a positive or negative response on the internet.
ink.inc
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »

OH. Oh man.
I can never tell if that's a positive or negative response on the internet.

Positive. Definitely positive.

You've got a little ink man running across huge letters.
Different levels = different fonts. Easy ones like Helvetica and impossible ones like WingDings and Lucida Handwriting and shit. I can see you making headway against an impossibly vertical "T" of Times New Roman.

A white background. Once you finish the level, the camera zooms out to see just what you've walked over. Possibly some sort of deep, meaningful phrase. Or not.

This would be cool.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »

It could also be the easiest level editor ever. Just imagine being able to generate entire new areas based on your homework, your Facebook logs, your 4chan posts... er, on second thought, that might not be the best idea.
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »

your 4chan posts... er, on second thought, that might not be the best idea.

Just plugging this.

Also, why not play on the most dangerous surface of them all: THE SUN!
ink.inc
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »

Make the game size as small as possible so that it can be easily distributed via facebook.

HOLY SHIT THIS COULD BE AN AWESOME FACEBOOK APP!

Send your friends playable messages!
"I'll pick you up at seven"
"I love you"

or, more obviously:

"wut up faggot ass"

If I ever learn flash or whatever facebook aps use, I CALL THIS IDEA.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 04:14:06 PM »

Give concept credit where it's due.
Of course.
ink.inc
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »

Give concept credit where it's due.
Of course.

Naturally.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »

Back before you had laptops in class this was the game I played all day long on my textbook.

If only they had a class leaderboard.

Any game where you traverse a level and then see the whole thing spread out at the end gets bonus points from me (see specter spelunker shrinks and the katamari games).
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic