Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:58:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Bit Dash new characters coming!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Bit Dash new characters coming!  (Read 4812 times)
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:12:36 AM »

Super Bit Dash is now available on the Appstore!

Check out our new trailer!

http://bit.ly/psg5OY

Or go straight to the iTunes page Wink

http://bit.ly/psg5OY

This is just a quick post. Tomorrow I'll take the time to write a more elaborate post on the final push to the Appstore and all that. But for now I just want to share the love with you guys and gals! It is out!  Beer!

Oh, and we'll still update the Devlog since we believe the post-launch updates and future features will be interesting to document and share. Also we need all the feedback we can get!

See you soon.

UPDATE  17-08-2011

Here is our new gameplay video. We are hard at work on polishing levels, animations, adding achievements and all sorts of little things.

What do you think? For more news check out the last post.

UPDATE 09-08-2011

Project Onelife is now known as Super Bit Dash. Check out my last post for more details on our upcoming title.

UPDATE 13-06-2011

Lots of news. New art, new music, new job. Project Onelife is resurrected and nearing completion. Check out the latest reply/update for the new audio track by Miguel Cintra. Oh, and here's how the game is looking so far.

------

FIRST POST

We have been working on this for a few months now. It's slowly taking form as we struggle to finish it in our free time.
Still without a proper name Project Onelife is now going through a fase of great change. New art, levels and gameplay.

until a while ago this is what OneLife looked like:

Now where trying new ideas for the set and character, but since we have no artist working with us its still a little sketchy.

We are  hard at work on an ingame level editor and levels, so art will have to wait for now. Hopefully I'll have a nice animation of the character running to show you all.

Oh, about the game!

Project Onelife is a runner for the iphone/ipod, the screen scrolls mercilessly to the left while we have to dodge obstacles and break through walls. To do so we can dash either upwards/downwards or straight ahead. But be careful, if you run out of dash power you might fall to your doom!
To recharge one can either run or collect coins.

And that's it I guess. We hope to have about 20 levels when its out and some unlockable content.

The dashes were added recently, before we had him jump (mario jumps) and glide, but that felt to sluggish. We want retro looking speed.

That's it for now. Hope you like it and we will try to get some video uploaded soon.

M.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:57:42 PM by migrafael » Logged

On STEAM »
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:49:53 AM »

We are hard at work on an ingame level editor

Wow, it's a brave choice, but it should be valuable in the long run. Concept and graphics looks interesting!

migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:52:45 PM »

Thanks yaio, I still have a lot to learn about pixel art, and truth be told I'm not sure I want to learn anymore. There are so many talented people out there that sometimes I just feel silly in even trying. Still, its not that much of an eye sore.

What I'm really happy with is the design, its coming along nicely and thanks to the programmer (register to tig source and I'll put your name here dude Smiley ) I can now edit and play levels straight on the ipod. Will show a picture of the editor soon (its awesome!)

On STEAM »
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »

Nice!  I love the retro art style!  Especially the orange BG gradient in the 2nd picture.  Reminds me of old NES games with sunsets.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 01:20:29 AM »

Will show a picture of the editor soon (its awesome!)

We're waiting!! Smiley

migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:48 PM »

So here are some pics of our new level editor. It's a great little tool that really helps save time. For one we can make levels while on public transportation or even sipping a cold beverage in a cafe, who can argue that that is much better than just sitting behind the PC at home all the time? Smiley

Also it saves huge amounts of time lost while building the app just to test changes made to the levels. Although Tiled is a great level editor the process was getting a bit slow and we have very limited time. Still we are not Tiled free, it will still come in handy for when we want to add a bit of flavor to the levels.

Editing is easy, just select a tile below and draw with your finger.
Only the five main tile types are available - deadly, breakable, ground, "coin" and deadly/breakable.

Use two fingers to move the level around and to Zoom in and out.

It still needs some work (we still haven't figured out how to share the levels) but we are very happy with it so far.

On STEAM »
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:15:52 PM »

Congratulations, it's an interesting solution!

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »

I think that with that level editor based on simple block types that a cool way to go for the graphics would be to just have a ton of simple themes like "rock", "forest", "snow", "grass", etc. and knock out a bunch of simple tilesets for them and let the player choose what they want.

This would work with your 40 levels or so because you could just have the theme switch every 5 levels or so. Throw in 10 or so characters and this could be an awesome little game that I know I'd want on my iThing.
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 12:08:01 AM »

Keyser Soze: Hopefully we'll have enough resources to do just that. Wen we first started our game we had a nice progression of levels drawn out - we would start in the forest then enter a wood processing plant then reach for the skies etc... If we get a dedicated artist we will want to add that variety, if not it will be more difficult. Diferent characters is a whole diferent story because there will be quite a few animations lending life to our hero/heroine. It wont be so easy to change them all for different characters.

Now that I mention it lets see if I post a little running animation here for you all to comment (next week 'cause I'm on vacations right now Smiley

Thank you all for the feedback

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »

Hello everyone.

Here's a small update on project Onelife.

We are still hard at work on our level editor (Afonso is)and uploaded a small video of it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Xg_rQBAUc

What do you all think?

P.S: Youtube completely screwed up the video's ratio making it look awkward. Next time I will try different camera settings, but for now please bear with me.

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »

Long time without any updates. Long story short - One of us moved house and two others moved to another company, making mobile games now.

Since we don't have any weekly crunch time now we are hard at work on Project Onelife. New art, sounds and gameplay improvements. It is nearing completion!  Tears of Joy

Lets open the posting season with the first BGM from the game.

http://soundcloud.com/miguelmcintra/one-life-metalcode

Listen and rave on!

Feedback more than welcome as always.

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »

Just wanted to show the evolution of our main character. Soon there will be gameplay videos for you to see. Until then Smiley

Our first Atari 2600 like runner. We wanted fast and simple. But as the game delayed on we craved something diferent and more colorful.

The redesign was inspired by Fishbane but done quite quickly and without any real reference.

As the game got moreand more polish we felt it needed matching art. We fell in love with the League of Evil game so it was a natural choice for insipiration Tongue

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 12:21:36 AM »

So here's our new gameplay video - don't know how to emebd, sorry. If anyone can help me out with that...

The video was taken in a sort of archaic way, instead of using an image capture software we just rendered the frames from a recorded walk through. That's why we have no sound. For our trailer we'll use something a bit more fancy that captures sound as well as 30 fps of video. 

We are still tweaking loads of stuff in the animations and levels. As soon as we are done with that you can expect a nice little trailer for you all to comment - and share Smiley

This is the most exiting and one of the hardest parts of gamedev. As it comes close to the release date we start to shiver at the though of it not being loved and at the same time we grow eager to let it go into the wild, so people can enjoy or at least criticize our work.

On STEAM »
Scottapotamas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:02 AM »

Looks really fun.

As for screen recording, i could recommend you try Screenflow for OSX. Ive used it several times with great results. I made this little WIP video with it...

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »

This game is further proof to my maxim that all games with "super" in their name are awesome.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »

I think it would be nice if there was a bit more life to the levels. Right now it all looks very static. Maybe add a couple layers of parallax scrolling instead of one or add an animation to the coins like spinning or shining or something.
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »

I think it would be nice if there was a bit more life to the levels. Right now it all looks very static. Maybe add a couple layers of parallax scrolling instead of one or add an animation to the coins like spinning or shining or something.

I'm so glad you mentioned it. I've been trying to convince Afonso, the programmer, that a little touch of animation could really add a lot to the experience. After showing him your post I think he was convinced!

There's lots of things we want to add to the game post launch. We hope that with each update the game becomes better and better. These things will range from better animations to new levels and game modes.

It's almost here. Well keep everyone at TIGforuns up to date, but if you want you can follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/fakepup for the most recent news Smiley

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »

We are so glad to announce that Super Bit Dash is finally out on the Appstore!!
http://bit.ly/psg5OY!

Here's the trailer.

http://bit.ly/nXKGIX

Like suggested by Sean A. in a previous post, we added animation to the coins to give it some flavor. All feedback is welcomed and if possible, will make its way to the game.

We are very happy with it and hope people will find it fun. I would like to say "on to the next one!", but we have a few updates pending first, not to mention the Android version.

It's already running on Linux, as that is the way we port thing to Android around here :)If there's enough people interested we will do a Linux port for sure!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:46:50 PM by migrafael » Logged

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »

Hi everyone,

we are launching our first update soon so he have some promo codes to give away before it hits the Appstore. Smiley

Incoming is also the android version that will feature a very special thing... iOS players will also have this new feature in an update.

N3RJAHJA6JNN
LTT6R9R47JPR
XWYLL34KNMJ7

Enjoy and please say which one you took.

We're also doing a giveaway on Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/fakepup. All you have to do is retweet our contest or follow us to enter the competition. 5 people will get a promocode this Sunday

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »

Hi everyone!

we are proud to announce we got our first ever review on toucharcade! http://toucharcade.com/2011/10/18/super-bit-dash-review/

Even though our game has only received 12 reviews in the Appstore they all have been 5 star reviews, which is amazing considering that we don't know anyone outside portugal to favor us Wink

But the game is yet to be complete! Plenty of updates will follow with new features, levels and characters.

I have two sketches I would like to share and get your feedback. These will be unlockable characters.

I call them Moon guy and Wellie. I know, extremely original Tongue I'm still working on the robot's colors before I go into the animations.

What do you all think?

On STEAM »
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic