Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:59:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTyround - Shoot'em'Up Browsergame
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tyround - Shoot'em'Up Browsergame  (Read 1399 times)
simono
Level 1

screen.blit(fun)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:32:57 AM »

Play: gamejs.nekapuzer.at/tyround/
(modern Browser needed. Definitly not IE)

Concept

The basic idea: destroy planets with your red spaceship and collect diamonds they drop while evading the shurikens planets throw to defend themselves (yeah... I've to use whatever Art I can get for free).

The game ends once the last planet is destroyed or you ran out of time (top right corner)

I wanted it to be a short, hectic game - finishable in 30 seconds with good replay value. I think I managed.

Controls

• Arrow LEFT/RIGHT to turn your ship
  • SPACE to shoot
  • Arrow UP for short speed burst

Time left is displayed in the top right corner.

Getting a Good Score

... is not easy:
  • Blowing up planets gives you little points
  • Diamonds are worth a lot more!
  • Even more points are awarded for finishing early (but that conflicts with collecting all the diamons).

So...
...whaddaya think? I did this mostly as a warmup to get into the browser-game flow Smiley

ps.: Game Art all free found at lostgarden.com
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:45:51 AM by oberhamsi » Logged
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:23 AM »

The game is nice and fun! My only perplexity is that the difficulty decreases during the level (because you "clean" the enemies sources). Sometimes it freezes (Firefox 3.6.8 ).

modern Browser needed. Definitly not IE

Maybe you're losing many players...

simono
Level 1

screen.blit(fun)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:16:13 AM »

The game is nice and fun! My only perplexity is that the difficulty decreases during the level (because you "clean" the enemies sources).

thanks!

Strange that it seems to get easier, b/c really it doesn't - it gets harder: the same number of shurikens spawning from less planets.

Sometimes it freezes (Firefox 3.6.8 ).

It doesn't freeze the PC.. just shortly everything stands still, then it keeps going like nothing was wrong, right? If you have lots of other tabs open or not-so-good PC, that might happen :| Working on it...

I sure am. But I will not deal with **@!#)** IE in my free time Wink
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:25:26 AM »

Most of gamers... most of people who know a bit about computing and stuff use mozilla anyway, so no big loss.

simono
Level 1

screen.blit(fun)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:27:02 AM »

Most of gamers... most of people who know a bit about computing and stuff use mozilla anyway, so no big loss.

Well, yeah. But on the other hand: browser games are most often played in the office - and office PCs usually have IE installed. Maybe one day I'll support IE, not soon. It scares me.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:38:09 AM »

Strange that it seems to get easier, b/c really it doesn't - it gets harder: the same number of shurikens spawning from less planets.

Ok, maybe 30 seconds are few to see this specific aspect: there are already shurikens on the screen (that the user has already skirted) and less planets, so I perceive lower difficulty. But wait for other comments, it's only my perception.

It doesn't freeze the PC.. just shortly everything stands still, then it keeps going like nothing was wrong, right?

Yes, it doesn't freeze the PC, it freezes the browser. But, it doesn't keep going, I need to close the browser.

simono
Level 1

screen.blit(fun)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:42:40 AM »

It doesn't freeze the PC.. just shortly everything stands still, then it keeps going like nothing was wrong, right?

Yes, it doesn't freeze the PC, it freezes the browser. But, it doesn't keep going, I need to close the browser.

That's bad. Sorry. I tested it on all 3 browsers I mentioned on 3 PCs and a Mac - that never happened Sad Does it freeze at random or at the end? Always or sometimes? It's most likely a performance problem.. I'm improving that constantly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic