Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:53:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesQuantum Chess
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Quantum Chess  (Read 4263 times)
lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:24:03 AM »

http://research.cs.queensu.ca/Parallel/QuantumChess/QuantumChess.html

Comes with a online java version free to play.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:34:37 AM by lansing » Logged
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:58:42 AM »

hm, I had a very similar idea: pieces start out undefined, and become definite based on how they are moved.  e.g. if a piece moves one step forward, it can't be a bishop or knight, but could be a pawn, rook, queen or king.  if that piece now moves two steps diagonally, it can now only be the queen (and therefore no other piece can be the queen).

this is quite different because the non-determinism comes from randomness rather than from deduction from your moves.

the end-game is a bit tedious, as you try to pin down what your pieces are for a checkmate.
Gnarf
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:27:56 AM »

That sounds like a pretty awesome idea, brog. Trying to force your opponents pieces into being the ones you would like them to be sounds like some kind of weird-ass cool thing.

Free Java Quantum Chess Thing wouldn't start, and I only skimmed through the paper. It kind of says that it would be way different from just throwing some randomness at it, but it's not very clear what the difference is and why it is important.

Edit blah: I guess the possibility for the maybe white queen to collapse to bishop on its first move takes out the first-move advantage and then some.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:48:33 AM by Gnarf » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »

The difference between this and normal chess is the element of luck. Each piece has two roles, the normal role and a second, hidden role. When you pick a piece you have a 50/50 chance of the piece being itself of another piece. If you don't know the second possible identify of the piece there's even more risk involved. In addition to setting up the enemy player to take his pieces, you also need to identify the pieces on the board, though ultimately you're still stuck with the 50/50 chance of the piece being what you expect.

In addition to being a fun joke on quantum physics I think this makes the game friendlier to low-skill players since there is a good chance of luck sometimes playing in their favor. Most chess experts get to be experts by memorizing board layouts, and this makes that impossible because the board layout is subject to change every turn. Even when you setup a good move it can fail if you get an incompatible piece, and likewise even when in a deadly situation (like check) you may survive simply because the enemy piece transformed into something non-threatening.

This is a good example of how randomness can improve a game more accessible for a lower-skilled audience without being less fun.
lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:34 PM »

Free Java Quantum Chess Thing wouldn't start, and I only skimmed through the paper. It kind of says that it would be way different from just throwing some randomness at it, but it's not very clear what the difference is and why it is important.

Edit blah: I guess the possibility for the maybe white queen to collapse to bishop on its first move takes out the first-move advantage and then some.

I had to wait 1 minute for it to load, but after that it more or less worked - it doesn't redraw the ui when calculating an AI move, but that's fine if you just wait.
Gnarf
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »

I got past some loading screen. Then it was just a white screen. If I used the scroll wheel on it turned into a black screen. Or something. I'll try again later.

When you pick a piece you have a 50/50 chance of the piece being itself of another piece.

Only if it's the first move for that piece and/or it is on black. So if you get a bishop on the first move of a unit on white it stays bishop for the rest of the game. And if no first moves collapse to bishops you won't have any bishops on white in that game.

In addition to being a fun joke on quantum physics I think this makes the game friendlier to low-skill players since there is a good chance of luck sometimes playing in their favor.

It makes it friendlier in the sense that they'll win more often even if the other guy is playing better. Beyond that I don't know. It sounds like basic tactical play turns into a sloppy mess. And that's like the part that doesn't boggle my mind as is Tongue
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »

They have this already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratego

(but better)
lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »

They have this already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratego

(but better)

I don't see any resemblance, except that they are both boardgames.
Gnarf
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 01:04:55 AM »

Players cannot see the ranks of each other's pieces

Guessing that's what he's referring to. Unlike in Quantum Chess that only goes for the other guy's pieces though.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:18 AM »

Hm, it's interesting, but is it actually quantum or just probabilistic? That is does it actually make use of complex probabilities and the 2-norm, or I dunno entanglement?

Awhile back I tried trying to come up with a little quantum system I could model and visualize the behavior of, based on Conway's life ...

...by the time I was done I was mostly just very confused, but I came to the conclusion that nothing I'd done had actually been quantum, just probabilistic, because all I did was combine probabilities in the conventional way, whereas what as far as I can tell makes quantum stuff "special" in the first place (that is, that gives BQP its additional power over BPP) relies on things like phase cancellation of complex probabilities. In the Quantum Chess paper they do actually draw out a quantum circuit for some of the chess variants they introduce toward the end of the paper, so it's probable those variants actually do have quantum properties... on the other hand I assume you could model classical-systems-with-indeterminacy using a quantum circuit also, so I'm not sure. I'd have to think about what they're doing some more (ideally when it's not 2:30 AM...)

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »

This game is INFURIATINGAngry

...I'm playing again.
slideshowblob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 03:15:01 AM »

Apologies for the pimping but I figure this thread is a good place to find the 0.1% of gamers interested in how quantum physics actually works Smiley

I made a quantum marble maze game. It's free and open source. Do let me know what you think...

Download: http://tropic.org.uk/~crispin/quantum

Blog post about the physics: https://linkingideasblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/learning-quantum-mechanics-the-easy-way/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic