Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:53:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLeast Moving Games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Least Moving Games  (Read 5106 times)
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »

Fallout 3.

*SPOILER*
You have all the utmost radiation protection available equipped. You walk into the chamber to save everyone and die anyway. Then the game just ends, even if you don't do it. No after story really at all, and you can't even continue if you didn't do it. Sad Oh well, didn't really enjoy the game that much anyway.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »

Syndicate - I played it for days striving to complete it. When I finally made it all I got for my trouble was the damn credits. No end sequence, no concluding text, nothing, not even a well done, just ten minutes of credits. I never played the game again after that.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »

Syndicate - I played it for days striving to complete it. When I finally made it all I got for my trouble was the damn credits. No end sequence, no concluding text, nothing, not even a well done, just ten minutes of credits. I never played the game again after that.

I hate when that happens. >:|

BoxedLunch
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »

Fallout 3.

*SPOILER*
You have all the utmost radiation protection available equipped. You walk into the chamber to save everyone and die anyway. Then the game just ends, even if you don't do it. No after story really at all, and you can't even continue if you didn't do it. Sad Oh well, didn't really enjoy the game that much anyway.
I was going to say that too, you have all of these crazy events happening, each interesting in their own ways, and you just end the game, and then you have to pay for the game to continue.
dick move.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »

I was going to say that too, you have all of these crazy events happening, each interesting in their own ways, and you just end the game, and then you have to pay for the game to continue.
dick move.

Oh, the expansions continue the game? I thought they just opened up new areas to explore.

If that's the case, well, the story wasn't good enough to continue to play anyway. :D

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »

Quote from: Paul
now if this topic is specifically about melodrama -- e.g. moments in games where you were intended to be moved, but were not, i'd say the most melodramatic game to me was ff8. it was supposed to be about a love story, but i never really cared about squall or rinoa or most of the other characters. the only part of the game that moved me at all was the flashback sequences with leguna and squall's mother (who i forget the name of); that was a much more interesting love story to me than the main one between squall and rinoa.
I agree... I didn't like the main characters at all.  Their relationship didn't feel realistic or relatable in any way to me, and I didn't really like their personalities (which made it hard to care what happened to them).

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
ink.inc
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »

FF10.
Stupid main character who accepts anything he sees, ditzy sidekick you'll only use in fights because she can Steal, walking stereotype who just isn't all that useful for most of the game, buxom tsundere girl who stops being a bitch too quickly like they didn't want fanfic writers to get impatient because she wasn't nice enough, weak summoner girl with a death wish and no sense of pattern recognition. And they all go stumbling around putting themselves in danger for reasons unclear even to them. Kimahri wasn't bad, but his overarching problem seemed a bit silly, as if being short could preclude you saving the world. The only character with any depth was Auron, and that's because he actually seemed to pay attention to what was going on.

BLASPHEMY!

Back to the topic, the Kingdom Hearts series was absurdly melodramatic, with it's schpeals on friendship and strength of the heart being painfully narmy.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »

What do you expect? It was Disney. d:

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »

fuck? KH and KH2 were some of the MOST moving games for me. I'm going to disregard the risk of sounding like a mentally challenged six year old, but the game actually had me laughing and yelling out loud at the TV at times (when no one was around to see). I nearly cried at several different points.

It was a teensy bit trite sometimes, but it was honest enough to turn that sappiness into a genuinely endearing trait. I think that Kingdom Hearts is comparable to Pixar movies in terms of emotion.

Bioshock, on the other hand, will continue to perplex me. It feels like such an empty game to me. Where's the appeal? The main character is faceless, nameless, voiceless, and worthless. The only character that you can vaguely connect with are the guy who made Rapture, and as far as I got in the game, he is an entity of the past and isn't a *real* character as all you hear from him are recordings. The atmosphere and backgrounds are kinda nice, but after a while it gets repetitive. The absurdly low difficulty invalidates any kind of emotions the enemies might elicit.
El Moppo
Level 0

Gronk! Gronk!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 02:34:25 PM »

I must say that Dungeon Siege and its Sequels... Oh, yeah, you might be all distraught, and wanting to save the Kingdom. But! I have to fight through a stupid, utterly stpud, amount off of wild animals, insects, scorpions, undead Skeletions (Why? Just Why!?), and... Whatever else!
And then... What happens? They drop fucking Gold. >:/
You are a Wolf. You do not carry Gold, not on ANY occasion.  Huh?
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »

dick move.

Oh, the expansions continue the game? I thought they just opened up new areas to explore.

If that's the case, well, the story wasn't good enough to continue to play anyway. :D
one of the expansion ending allow you to send in the only one who can survive radiation but by then this leaves up a lot of questions like couldn't you just simply save your father. if you can save lucas summs from a scripted death what stopping you from saving your dad... oh wait puppetry story telling. this type of game design really cheese move.
it kinda say to me "oh look we have a goal for you to achieve yet make it so that you have to lose. Ignore the fact that we took artist license and force nudges and not try to alternate the story so that if you do succeed in 'doing the impossible' the game doesn't Shit out it's heart from what you did."  really this is mostly AAA(Hideo) and 'nogames' which fall into this category of basic story telling. It throws me out of the game and automatically makes the game some high detailed space ace/dragon's lair where I'm hitting buttons to get to the next cutscene. Pretty much the only fun that comes from those games are the meta games one place on one self to make it slightly interesting.
ink.inc
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »

fuck? KH and KH2 were some of the MOST moving games for me. I'm going to disregard the risk of sounding like a mentally challenged six year old, but the game actually had me laughing and yelling out loud at the TV at times (when no one was around to see). I nearly cried at several different points.

It was a teensy bit trite sometimes, but it was honest enough to turn that sappiness into a genuinely endearing trait. I think that Kingdom Hearts is comparable to Pixar movies in terms of emotion.

Dude, I don't know if you've played Birth by Sleep, but fucking NOTHING MAKES SENSE IN THAT GAME. 

Don't get me wrong, the first Kingdom Hearts was one of my favorite games, and KH2, though lacking in combat (press X and occasionally triangle to win) interesting level design, was okay. But the story of the KH series is weird, and by weird I mean WEIRD.

I mean, as best as I remember, you've got a gigantic heart shaped moon in the sky (the titular Kingdom Hearts) that all the bad guys are after for some as of yet unexplained reason. You've got the main character losing all his memories after climbing up an EVIL tower (why did he do this again? the disembodied voice in his head TOLD HIM that this would happen) and getting locked away for a year while a witch under the control of a secret organization rebuilds his brain and who, by the way, is some sort of entity that his girlfriend apparently created when she lost her heart to the main character's best friend.  And then there's Ansem, who you find out isn't really Ansem, and just some Heartless shmuck created when the REAL big bad lost his heart and became a Nobody, while the REAL Ansem is actually a sixty year old dude wrapped in red bandages.

And then there's Mickey, who despite being the KING of his WORLD, has ABSOLUTELY NO responsibilities as head of state whatsoever, and spends most of his time fucking off in the realm of darkness and stirring shit up with Riku, who looks exactly like fake Ansem FOR NO EXPLAINED REASON.

So yeah, Kingdom Hearts is weird.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:13:13 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

Yeah, MGS has so many cut scenes that someone took all the cutscenes of each game and made movies out of them. They ALMOST make a complete movie without any gameplay. There a little 'well how did he lose the battle?' here and there, but you can basically watch the MGS games as movies.

But then again, I like the MGS games for the cutscenes. :D

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 12:57:44 AM »

Yeah, MGS has so many cut scenes that someone took all the cutscenes of each game and made movies out of them. They ALMOST make a complete movie without any gameplay. There a little 'well how did he lose the battle?' here and there, but you can basically watch the MGS games as movies.

But then again, I like the MGS games for the cutscenes. :D
I love MGS for the fact(that given the Hoops you had to go through getting the bandanna and stealth) you can mess with meryl. Sadly after Mgs1 the rest seem to remove that sandbox fun.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »

There's still some sandbox stuff in there, I think less so in 2, but still quite a bit in 3. Like you make The End die in two ways besides battling him. One being to shoot to him when you first see him and that makes him explode. Not sure why he explodes but okay. The second is when you're in the boss fight with him, save your game, set the clock ahead a week on the PS2 and then play the game and you find out the End died of old age while waiting for you.

Then after all that you can eat his parrot.

I think I need to go play that game right now...

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »

So yeah, Kingdom Hearts is weird.

It sure is. But if you go into it having just read a ton of Nietzsche, a lot of it makes more sense. Just like The World Ends With You.
It goes from odd quirky JRPG-ish thing to rumination on nihilism, existential despair, being and nothingness.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »

Everything Disney was known for.

hi
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:07 AM »

I've only played 1 and 2, so I can't really comment, John.

Oh yeah, TWEWY. That game was great. It definitely warrants a comparison to KH, both in awesomeness and mood.

Does anyone else think most moving an least moving should be merged?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic