Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:07:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativePlatform/Top Down Hybrids
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platform/Top Down Hybrids  (Read 1509 times)
Melignus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »

I've always liked the play style of the second Legend of Zelda for the NES, the combination of the top down over world with the platform style encounters. I was wondering what people think about this. I've wanted to create a simple multi-player strategy game where players move around and compete for resources on an over over-world but then can 'encounter' each other and end up dropped into a semi-procedurally generated platform world where they compete to defeat their opponent somehow.

I was wondering what people think about going for the platform style encounter vs going for top down style encounter akin to what you see in the SNES Zelda. The ultimate idea is to have these 'encounters' be procedurally generated based on the environment of the tile on which the fight takes place. I'd like to have these encounters signal somehow on the over-world map so that other players could choose to jump in on the fun as well, which is something to consider because having another player drop into a platform style encounter would be more difficult it would seem, then having them dropped into a top down style generated environment. I'm just wondering what people have to say about these ideas.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:30:32 AM »

So far, it sounds a bit confusing. So you want a strategy game (presumably RTS, knowing most people) where when two units meet on a tile, they are represented in an environment based on the tile where the units met and there's top-down platforming?

First off, if there's going to be any top-down platforming, then there needs to be an easy way for those with poor depth perception to identify what they need to do. No offense, but I'd also highly recommend against combining RTS and platforming unless you can execute it in an orderly fashion unless you can pull something off like Brotherhood of Battle and get away with it.

And that concludes my two cent deposit.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:05:36 AM »

So far, it sounds a bit confusing. So you want a strategy game (presumably RTS, knowing most people) where when two units meet on a tile, they are represented in an environment based on the tile where the units met and there's top-down platforming?
Legend of Zelda 2 had side-on platforming sections.

I think the idea might be fine, though I'm not sure the multi-player side of things would work?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic