Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:29:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNinjammin Beat-Jitsu Remix -- a game on disco ninjas
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ninjammin Beat-Jitsu Remix -- a game on disco ninjas  (Read 4746 times)
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »

VIDEO : Latest Update - THE NEW LEVEL EDITOR

This game is a sequel to Ninjammin Beat-Jitsu, something i made last year - soon to be released on iPhone

For up to date dev news, follow my blog here: http://njbj.tumblr.com/

The game is a hybrid genre, somewhere between platformer and rhythm action. Ive been taking on the criticism i got from the first game and im rather pleased with the results so far. Smiley
The game is more of a remake/reimagining of the orignal rather than a true sequel.

*VERY* OUTDATED DEMO: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/144686-ninjammin-beat-jitsu-2-early-demo

You play as a Disco-Ninja on the run from an elite govt taskforce. The ninja is controlled by pressing certain buttons to the beat of the music to pull off various parkour and fighting moves.

In-game screenshot

MUSIC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL3-jf55NhM

So the game is about 3 months into development now and is coming along well. The major difference between this and NJBJ original is that now you have full control over the player character. By pressing arrows on the beat you can move 808 around whatever which way you please, which means the game is gonna be jam packed full of secret routes and areas.

The game is set in the mid future, in a high tech city run by a totalitarian govt. Self expression has been banned, along with all artforms such as music. However, despite the mass propaganda and brainwashing techniques used to keep the majority of the populace under control, many underground resistance groups have formed in the city.

You play as 808, a young man who was going about his daily business when the ancient art of beat-jitsu was thrust upon you by your late great-great-great-grandfather Roland. The outlawed artform leads you into trouble as you flee and fight for your life and your city against the city's oppresive government regime.

The game also has a full built-in level editor so that you can create and share your own challenge maps. We also have some cool music made so I'll be uploading some teasers soooooon.

All feedback welcome Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:56:57 AM by LiamBarden » Logged
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »

Looks very cool. Having full control over your movement looks pretty cool, as does the combat. One thing which looked a little wonky from the video was the end of the level effect; I think it would have looked better if the character went all the way to the center of the square thing before disappearing. The first time I saw it I thought you had wandered into a trap.

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:18:31 AM »

Cool! In some aspects it remembers me when I was playing with Dragon's Lair! Congrats!

LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys Smiley
Ive had a fiddle with the end of level object and ive also released an early demo, along with a few youtube videos.
Links are in the first post

Also, some Music, for anybody interested:

Theres going to be a lot of variety in the music for this game, but I feel that the fast paced drum and bass really captures the overall mood best. More music will be coming soon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:51:09 AM by LiamBarden » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »

Just played through the demo. Had a bit of fun. However, the music didn't seem to tie particularly well with my actions on screen.

Question- if you can move freely and jump whenever you want, what's the point of having those colored markers in the game?
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:37:44 PM »

Played through the demo - it was very cool. I quite enjoyed the mix of free movement and context based moves with the arrows. I'm not sure normal jumping (without lining it up with a colored arrow) is even necessary, unless you implement some hidden routes and want to make them less obvious. Also, the fighting is totally bad-ass. The continual beat in the background got kind of repetitive, but other than that I liked the music. Keep it up!

LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:08 PM »

@John Sandoval
The music should align perfectly with the beat (it does on my machine anyway, ive tested it) but the track is pretty fast and messy when its sped up fully so i guess it might not seem that way. Thanks for the heads up.

The idea behind the arrows is that they act like a tutorial of sorts, subtly teaching the player which buttons perform which actions in which places. The plan is to phase them out slowly throughout the final game

@ ninjutsu63
Yeah the idea is to have multiple hidden routes and secrets in every level. Also i have to agree with you about the beat. Im planning to replace it with drums eventually.

Thanks for the feedback guys
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 06:53:29 AM »

Some more music:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LiamBarden?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/dL3-jf55NhM

And some info on the level editor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LiamBarden?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/TpTPubV3lCw

Let me know what you think, any/all feedback welcome Smiley
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »

Looks awesome :D
You're accent is so funny ^^

Thumbs up!

LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »

Again more music:

I like this one, its relaxing and still upbeat. Walking a fine line there i think

Also, Ive made a tutorial (by request) for how 808 is animated in the game

If anybody has any other requests then dont hesitate to let me know
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:08 AM »

Wow, its been a while. Over the past few months the game has been quietly progressing, for the most part. Most of the code has been completely rewritten, and I feel it was worth it. It now has tighter controls and is easier to manage, which should help speed up development a fair bit. I have halved the size of the 'cells' and doubled the tempo which has lead to tighter and more precise controls, more fluid movement and a greatly increased range of moves and sucklike fr the player to use. However, it's also taken a lot of time. Fighting has not been reimplemented and all the levels have to be redone. Despite this, i'm working on a new demo, the introduction to which can be seen here:

More info on the updates...

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »

I really loved the original, so I'm stoked for this release.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 05:46:32 AM »

I'm sad that I'm just now learning of this game series.
I loved the first one, and this one looks even better

LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 07:08:38 AM »

Thanks for the support guys Smiley

I have a new video up, showing off the new combo system and some cool sfx.

Enjoy
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »

One of the lesser known secrets of game maker is that you can use the 3D functions even when you arent in 3D mode. This means that you can use things like fog, which can make for some interesting coloring effects.
Check the video below to see it in action

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »

ho! cool game!

LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46:57 AM »

@GILBERT Timmy  Thanks for the support, glad you like it Smiley

Ive added a whole bunch of updates this past week, shown in this video

Included is the new combat system, new traps, sawblades and crushers as well as some more unusual things such as giant pipes that throw you around a bit.

Enjoy
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 10:18:28 AM »

VIDEO : Latest Update - THE NJBJ REMIX RAP

Its been a while, but there are now a couple more videos on my youtube showing some stuff off.
The latest is of a rap by MC Roland, made for the beginning of the upcoming demo
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 11:55:29 AM »

A vidoe of the new level editor. If anybody wants to try it out send me a pm Smiley

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:49:04 PM »

Hey Liam! The game's seriously looking awesome. Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'd like to restate for the record that I really enjoy following your vlogs on YouTube, and your really close communication with fans/followers is a very refreshing take on the dev/player relationship. Keep up the good work!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic