Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:18:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDragon Slayer 1
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dragon Slayer 1  (Read 1716 times)
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »

It'sa me, Marne! I started programming a new game.

Dragon Slayer project page - Yeah, it's based on one of them early graphical computer RPGs. Right now the monsters just slide around (tile locked and synced). They can also push walls around, Sokoban style.

Dragon Slayer 1 is a somewhat sandboxy RPG+Puzzle game where you can push walls around and only carry some items one at a time. You may be more familiar with other games in the Dragon Slayer series, such as Xanadu, Faxanadu or Legacy of the Wizard. Since the newer games play differently, Dragon Slayer 1 has a kind of unique charm to it, even though it's 99% frustrating and tedious.

I'm thinking that I should just do graphics first (in my quick Legacy of Hydon style) and convince someone else to code. I know I haven't got stamina to last a complete project. I mostly just want to see how the PC-88 game looks in isometric '3D' with some fancy battle animations. If I post art here tomorrow I might be serious about it.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:31:04 PM by Arne » Logged
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »

I think this looks neat. If I understand right, you're planning to work out the game with simple 2D graphics first and then make an isometric version with nicer graphics but otherwise the same-- seems like a good way to prototype. However I do like the PC88 inspired graphics.

I'm a longtime fan of LotW (I played it originally on NES and couldn't believe how awesomely huge it was, truly awe-inspiring at least for a little kid) and have been interested for quite awhile what the other DS games were like.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »

LotW is cute, but the map is too big, taking into account the lack of variation.

Quick iso tile test, 64 * 32(31). I started thinking about animations. Some characters can be safely flipped, halving the amount of frames I need to do, but it's still quite a bit if I do 4 walk frames and so.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:48:01 AM »

You always have excellent proportions, even on something simple like these tiles.  Looking forward to more!

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »

Thanks. Zelda 1 inspired, perhaps. I made them short because they shouldn't cover up too much, and the bevel helps making them obscure less too.

I've started working on animation roughs. I don't know much about sword fighting, shift of weight, leading foot, etc. I can't really move feet around since I have so few frames, so once I plant them I have to keep them there. I could switch them for offensive/defensive mode, but since you need to twist the torso to make a powerful strike, I don't think my offensive pose makes much sense. It would give a bit more range though (since I can't move the feet). Another option is to alternate the poses, so the feet shift, but it might look confusing with so few frames.

The weapon will be a separate image.
gunmaggot
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:58:36 PM »

Nice.  Just make sure the opening ditty is skippable!  That drove me crazy on the PC-88 version.

I like Dragon Slayer and I kind of wish that the devs had expanded and improved on the formula instead of taking it is the different direction(s) they did, though I guess that would mean we wouldn't have got the rad games they did make.  I am very happy that someone is stepping up and improving a game that really needed improving but had and still has a ton of potential.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic