Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 08:49:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBiolab Disaster - HTML5 Game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Biolab Disaster - HTML5 Game  (Read 8109 times)
Dominic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:15:08 AM »

Hi there,

I just finished my game "Biolab Disaster". It's completely done in HTML5: JavaScript, <canvas> and <audio> - no Flash or other Plugins required.

You can play it here:
http://www.phoboslab.org/biolab/

I also made a short making-of video:

The game was initially built as a demo and playground for my (yet unreleased) game engine Impact, but became much more. I hope you'll like it Smiley
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »

Pretty slick. Smiley

Worked fine for me with Chrome on Windows7. (didn't notice any sound problems?)

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:24:45 AM »

It's addictive! Beer! (it has worked perfectly on FF 3.6.9, Windows 7)

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:35:25 AM »

Really addictive! Chrome + Windows 7 = no problems.

I'm lacking being able to duck Smiley
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »

I'd love to see a procedural generation version of this. :O

That might be a first for HTML5 games. Smiley

increpare
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:25:48 AM »

I enjoyed playing this - had a nice solid feel - was slow on 3.6.9, but fine on chrome 6.0.472.55 (on OSX 10.6).
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:36:30 AM »

Doesn't work here (Ubuntu 10.4):

Firefox 3.6.9: Pressing x/c brings up quick search (any letter does this) and usually isn't registered by the game, so it's unplayable. Tried clicking the canvas to focus, didn't help. Seems to work fine otherwise. (edit: was able to fix this by disabling type to search in the advanced options. it's on by default.  anyway, works fine now, though it's a bit slow)

Chroumium 6.0.472.53: Freezes on load and keeps asking if the page should be terminated.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:55:20 AM by mjau » Logged
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »

Really nice, works fine but no sound here on Chromium 5.0.375.127 (55887) Ubuntu 10.04
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:23:49 AM »

Neat graphics and music. Controls lag a bit for me though and it crashed my browser the first time I tried it (Safari 5.0.1 running on Snow Leopard).

I just realized this is the HTML5 game I've ever played.  Smiley
Dominic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »

Thanks!

Can't say too much about the Safari crashing issue, sorry. I'll add other keys (Space and Up Arrow?) for you guys where X/C isn't working.

I just uploaded the Editor as well, if you want to play around a bit. Saving is disabled, but everything else should work. Press Space to open the Entity or Tile menu (depending on which layer is currently active); hold Right Mouse Button to pan around; Z and Y are undo and redo:

http://www.phoboslab.org/biolab/weltmeister.html
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »

I've tried it and its quite interesting to far. Graphics are great, although I mistook the jumping things for dead guys in biohazard suits before they started jumping. I'm having some minor issues on my computer though.

The computer:
AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor
4 GB Ram
Firefox 4.0b5
Windows 7
Not sure if any other infos are needed. Feel free to ask.

Anyways, here are the small issues I'm having.
1) There's the mentioned quick search issue. It's easy to fix on the clientside by just deactivating it (and that I did) but not everyone might know about it. I'm not sure whether up arrow and space would work. Space usually scrolls the website down and up arrow scrolls up. It's easily fixed on the client's side and I reckon every html5 game suffers a bit from that.
2) I'm having slowdowns whenever I kill an enemy. It takes about 1 or 2 seconds before things speed up again. It's generally running a tad slow in comparison to your making-of video but not to the point of being unplayable.
3) It's too much fun. =(

So far, great work.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
Dominic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »

As for the performance: there's something wrong with the hardware acceleration in FF 4.0b5; A bug report was already filed.

I just added "event.preventDefault()" for the input stuff - this should(?) fix the X/C issue in Firefox. I could also suppress the scrolling when you hit Space, but this won't work in Opera :/
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »

I'll have to check this out when I get home. I'll try it on the bunch of browsers I've got installed on it.

Honestly I can never stick to just one browser. :/

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »

Very nice, works greate on WindowsXP+Firefox 3.5 here.
The tiles looks very much like Flixel's Mode.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »

Can't say too much about the Safari crashing issue, sorry.
To be fair, I had several tabs open at the time, so the crash could have been caused by something else that happened to coincide with the game finishing loading.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »

This is quite impressive! Of course, it might not be as impressive as I think it is, but generally games like this are made in Flash.

Good job!
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 12:17:53 PM »

Wow. And I just finished writing about how bothersome it is to use HTML5 for games. Looking at your engine code, you've abstracted away many issues I've had so... elegantly. Even prototypes! The entire thing is really elegant, actually--I never thought that I'd enjoy looking at JavaScript code so much. You even implemented aliased image scaling, which I didn't think was possible with HTML5!

Anyway, thanks for the nerdgasm. Smiley When is Impact coming out?

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »

I love it.
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »

I love this!

First Entanglement, now this.  I'm pretty sure that HTML5 will eventually outlive Flash!  It seemed to work fine for me, and I run Chrome.

My only issue would be the lack of ducking to hit low things and shooting down, but that's understandable, considering that would have made my page scroll down anyway.

I liked the guys in suits that shot their guns from their crotch, by the way.

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
benbradley
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »

This is really cool. Loving the different jump/hop animations based on whether you tap/hold the key, and the regeneration booths. I agree about the ducking tho - I really feel like I should be able to shoot the little mines. I have to make sure I don't accidentally touch Up/Down in Firefox as it scrolls the page.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic