Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:02:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBroken Knuckles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Broken Knuckles  (Read 9448 times)
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »

Broken Knuckles is a 2d Beat'em Up game heavily influenced by classic beat'em ups such as Double Dragon and Streets of Rage. It was written from scratch in C++ using SDL. The team consisted of 1 programmer and 2 artists.

We entered it in the GameDev.net 4e5 contest and won second place. We wanted to post it here because we did not get very much feed back for the game, so it would be great if you could tell us what you think. We would love to hear what you guys think about this game. Thanks

Download Link

Screen Shots:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:01:46 PM by HandCraftedRadio » Logged

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:41:09 AM »

Holy-Rotting-Caligula-On-A-Robot!

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:37:18 AM »

Holy-Rotting-Caligula-On-A-Robot!

Caesar should really have that leg looked at...

jkd
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 12:44:07 AM »

Nice work. It's fun, and funny. Lots of creativity. Caesar and Napolean are great. The boss battles are brutally hard. I got Game Over at the tank. Sad

One thing I would change, is still allowing kick to function when your hands catch on fire. Same goes for block.

Also, the installer didn't put a shortcut to the exe in the start menu. It only put links to Manual, and ReadMe.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:57:19 AM by jkd » Logged
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:54:08 AM »

I thought I would release the codes to all of the levels so you can see more of the game.

(Hold Down These Keys At Title Screen)
Skip to:
 Lvl2- B-A-T-2
 Lvl3- B-A-T-3
 Lvl4- B-A-T-4
 Lvl5- B-A-T-5
99 Lives:
 B-A-T-0

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:47:20 PM »

I can't play it right now, but this game looks fucking awesome.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 07:33:04 PM »

Hello there! Well, looks like you've been a lucky winner of a full critic and feedback threatment Tongue Those last few events got me a bit down and I simply wanted to focus on what is important and it just so happens that your game was there so, here we are now! Smiley

Short list version:

-Always have confirmations on exit

-Title: The font’s outline is too wide, we loose the text

-Options: Full screen choice is a good thing Smiley

-You should show the controls options right away in the option screen.

-Back/Quit option should be last thing in a menu

-Nice use of tutorial screen but I would add some animations to it

-Game screen: if there are no 2nd player, don’t show the 2nd character at all during the game. it's just weird.

-Controls: Punching speed too slow. Should punch the second I pres the button. 
Same thing with kick. 

-No combo system with kick. It would be very nice

-Combo system with punch: last punch not strong enough, we don't feel any differences.

-Enemies are too strong: they don’t fall to the ground fast enough to make us feel strong.

-I feel that it’s better to have more waves of weaker enemies at first than few unbeatable enemies to show the strength of the character

-When you get caught by an enemy, you can’t escape easily because they hit too fast and you're stunned.

-The use of block is negligible. You can still get hurt using it since it cannot be held down. Perhaps a system where you'd loose a bit of health when you're hit when blocking but the blocking stance could be held.

-Screen scroll: to help the player, you could make the screen scroll the moment the avatar is located at the middle of the screen.

-Hit range too close. You have to give more threatening range to the player.

-There are no throws Sad

-Using kick to drop weapon is weird. Try to find a new way of doing this.

-You can buy weapons and in the next phase, someone comes in with a weapon. It’s frustrating. You should either give us a weapon first and then show a shop

-Although I like the idea, the bulldozer is very hard and it’s quite weird to bring one down with your fists. Perhaps beat someone who would have a sledge hammer or something to help us destroy it. Also, it sounds like a fly stuck in a window, trying to escape Smiley

-Lots of humor sparkled around the game :D

-Music, although catchy, gets some what redundant over time. The level 4 song is nice!

-The levels are a bit long. I’d shorten them down a bit. You could make a sixth level to the game if you want the exact same length

-Transition time between game over and title too long.

-Not enough variation between enemies and their behavior.

-Overall enemies should be a bit slower than main character unless until last level.

-Try to find something to diversify the player’s experience. We only press punch or kick rapidly continuously. We need something more. Sad

-Use empty gun as weapon and show how many bullets remaining 

-Why enemy drop their weapons even if there are still some bullets in the guns?  Huh?

-We have to be able to throw someone in the subway! Smiley

-Enemies are pushed back when hit. We punch and kick and they get out of range and we have to move forward to get them again

-Napoleon is way too hard. We can’t hit him when he’s under ground and we have barely the time to move. When running around, he’s moving a bit too fast and we can’t hit him when he shoots his drill  Funny tho Smiley it’s weird that we can’t hit him since that’s what we’ve been doing all the time in the game before.

-Enemies hitting enemies is satisfying!

-Game needs more brutal weapons (such as sinks, baseball bats, bottles, etc…) to follow the overall humor of the game.

-What’s pride meter? How do you get it? Rage is simple but can’t seem to understand pride. Huh?

-The Hit detection against the tank is a bit weird.

So there you go the first part. The second part can be found in this attachment. The file is 5 pages long. Personaly, I'd post it but some might not want to scroll through it so I made a doc out of it. In theory, everything in the list should be in the document but there is a chance that I've missed some points. So, there might be things in the quick list I haven't detailed much.

So there you go! Hope it's helpful enough!
Later!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »

Napoleon is way too hard. We can’t hit him when he’s under ground and we have barely the time to move. When running around, he’s moving a bit too fast and we can’t hit him when he shoots his drill  Funny tho  it’s weird that we can’t hit him since that’s what we’ve been doing all the time in the game before.
This should read:
Napoleon is way too hard. We can’t hit him when he’s underground and we have barely the time to move. When running around, he’s moving a bit too fast and we can’t hit him when he shoots his drill... Funny tho :D It’s weird that we can’t hit him since that’s what we’ve been doing since we started the game.

Sorry about that. I didn't clean up my quick notes correctly. That's what I get from being hasty.  Cry At least the document is alot cleaner  Roll Eyes
Later!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:16:42 PM »

That screen is hilarious....I am downloading this right now...I'll let you know what I think soon:)

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:18:43 PM »

Hey Guert! Thanks for all the feedback, it was fantastic! I really appreciate it. Grin

A couple of explanations for the things that were not so easy to figure out.

-The pride meter goes up whenever you get consecutive hits on an enemy and goes down whenever an enemy hits you. When it is full, you slowly regenerate your health.

-On the Napoleon boss, the mines can be picked up and thrown at him, instead of just hoping he runs into them.

I definitly should have made these things more clear in game.

Thanks again for your time and feedback! It is great we have someone like you here on TIGSource! Smiley

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:19:33 PM »

Guert, you should be banned for being too helpful! Smiley Thanks a lot for the crits.  (HCR and I designed the game) A lot of the things that you mentioned in here are things we originally wanted to incorporate into the game but  this was for the gamedev.net contest so we ran out of time. We also originally wanted lots of destructible environment pieces but again we ran out of time, actually on the first level you can punch the fire hydrant on the first screen and water gushes out of it... very Ninja Turtlesy. thanks again.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 09:05:38 AM »

Hello there!
Ah, the pride meter is very nice then! Smiley I would make the health bar flash in blue to show us the link between both gauges.

And you know what? Because of you guys, I just want to make one myself! :D I already have a design document for a beat-hem-up almost ready for development and you've given me the will to pick it up even though I have 4-5 projects in development! Smiley

May I ask you a simple question? What did you find the most helpful? The list or the full treatment?

I'm working on making a very elaborated critic/feedback formula... Are there things you think I didn't cover enough? For example, do you wished I had talked more about graphics/sounds/controls?

Thanks for your input!
Later!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:16:59 AM by Guert » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »

I loved the full document. A+ work. It was very helpful and covered about everything. I loved how it was organized and how everything was explained in so much detail. I can't really think of any part you left out right now. It was great! I wish I would have had this about a week before the contest was over, I probably could have pulled first place! :D

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »

Thanks. I hope you have plans of making Broken Knuckles 2 Wink
Later!

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »

We were thinking about doing a sequel, but we wanted to do something different first. We are working on a single player action RPG right now that is coming along nicely. I think we will make another broken knuckles sometime though, I will be able to make it so much better now and we really liked working on it. We came up with a couple funny ideas too, like the brothers getting sent into space and they have to fight on the moon in space suits. But who would be the bosses that get resurrected? Hmmm... maybe Saddam Hussein? Shocked

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic