Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:28:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Simple shmup spriting that have a great feel...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple shmup spriting that have a great feel...  (Read 1952 times)
Ant
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »

I'd really like to make a shmup, but I'm not a spriter so for the past week I've been trying to come up with a style that is very quick to do and looks nice, however, I'm really struggling.

So instead I've been abusing google in search of a style that fits my need that I can rip off inspires me. It's a short list since I couldn't find much that I think looks jawsome and is simple enough that I can do something similar, so I'm hoping you guys have some up your sleeves...

Gradius: The backgrounds are a little jarring to me, but I really love the minimalism of colours in the ship designs.

Dynastorm: The limited palette can make it hard to pick out individual objects and bullets but it has a nice soothing feel to it all.

Self Destruct: Very simple designs but again a great colour scheme can make all the difference.

Super Fantasy Zone: All charm.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:41 PM »

Tbh, I like your style, it feels pretty cutesy, and not too serious. I can see however that it could be hard to extend to a large range of different enemies.

(also, love your necromunda stuff)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »

http://www.locomalito.com/juegos_hydorah.php

hi
RayRayTea
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:16:27 AM »

How about

?

Oh, just remembered two other games that might be of interest: Coptra and Banana Nababa.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:46:59 AM by RayRayTea » Logged
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:46:10 AM »

I think Delicious made some of the best shmup ships i've ever seen.
They are chunky and cartoony, which makes them so great.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »

Pretty relevant to my interests. I'm a huge SHMUP fan.

I think Gradius has a great style, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to emulate it. Hydorah modernized Gradius' graphics style quite well.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic