Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:35:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsConway - Cellular Automata Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Conway - Cellular Automata Platformer  (Read 1138 times)
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »

I'm hoping this topic and hopefully some feedback/ideas will help me get my head down and complete what will be my 3rd game.  It's an expansion of an old prototype I made a while back, you can find the YouTube video

and download it here (Windows only Sad).  I also have a small thread in the Design Board that gave me a few ideas and a little motivation.

OK some progress:

I've redone the Cellular Automata Level to show which blocks will live, die or be born per generation as suggested by SirNiko.  Also after reading this thread I've added the bitwise number method to tile the level automatically as it's evolving, which I think looks 10x better.

I've posted a YouTube video of this

.  The video is split into 3 parts.  1st is a level that just used simple block graphics, the 2nd starts at the 3min 50s mark is the method with bitwise number and is auto tiled and the 3rd is a "Gosper Gun".

I've created a small game mode based around the "Gosper Gun".  Basically it's a capture the flag type game, but instead of a flag it's a top hat.  You move from one side of the screen to the other along an evolving "Gosper Gun" collect the hat and bring it back to the start for a point.

You can download this quick prototype here.  Info and how to play/controls are included in the .zip.  Unfortunately it is AZERTY (or whatever it's called) unfriendly at the moment.  You can also change the generation time and add in the Umbrella & Balloon moves into the game by editing the simple "setting.ini".

Any feedback/ideas would be great.

RCIX
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »

First off, the seizure mode is Epileptic

Second, the character dynamics could use some work, i had a lot of trouble controlling the player at times Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic