Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:27:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIGN offers office space to indies
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: IGN offers office space to indies  (Read 1674 times)
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »

I've applied, mostly to learn more. And SF is a quick BART trip for me. Don't know if they have other offices available elsewhere.

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/15/game-media-firm-ign-entertainment-to-give-free-office-space-to-indie-game-startups/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Venturebeat+%28VentureBeat%29

BrianSlipBit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »

I guess the gesture is cool, so props to them for that at least.  You'll have to live in or around San Fran for it to be practical though.  Regardless, I think anyone or any team that has something worthwhile to make is going to find a way to make it happen with or without free office space.

If you qualify, at the very least I guess you'll get free fast internet and access to IGN staff.  And the access to IGN staff is probably where the real potential resides in this whole deal.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »

It's a good deal for all involved. IGN gets to pretend they care about indies, while getting sneak peeks on new games and interviews with up-and-coming devs.
And the indies get... to be together, which actually does make quite a difference.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »

Wow! A room! Internet access! No funding! Access to people who don't know shit about indie games!

Awesome?

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »

A lot of people don't even have a room.

I'd take it just to see what IGN would print.
Coming soon, new indie game: 57 ways to set fire to a braindead cat

AUST
BrianSlipBit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »

A lot of people don't even have a room.

Honestly, if I didn't even have a room, the last thing on my mind would be video games, much less how I'm going to make them.  But that's just me.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »

No no no no. Not homeless.
I mean indie collaborators who would like to work together in such a room but have no access to such a room short of sitting in each other's cramped basements/bedrooms/apartments/some combination of the above.

AUST
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:00:26 PM »

Wow! A room! Internet access! No funding! Access to people who don't know shit about indie games!

Awesome?

uh, haven't you ever heard of artist residency programs? not all of them provide funding.

and one of the people on the program committee is Eddy Boxerman, the guy who founded Hemisphere games.

It's kind of an asshole statement to say that none of the IGN guys know anything about indie games. As if it's some kind of hidden language that only we understand. What is there to "know" about indie games anyway? Let's pretend none of the editors know anything about indie games, would their feedback be less valuable because of it? It can't hurt to get feedback from all types of people, I don't see how it could be a bad thing.

Being in the program means you can work along side other indies, and not have to worry about rent. This could save people quite a bit of money. It looks like a nice environment to work in. This seems like a legitimately cool thing, I don't see why you have to spray shit mist all over the place.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »

I agree with allen... office space in California is really expensive, and having an office for your team can be pretty nice.  I think another tremendous perk would be the fact that this team will most likely receive a lot of press, which is undoubtedly crucial for indies who hope to sell their games.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic