Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411513 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:17:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpace Funeral (Complete Shortish RPG)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Space Funeral (Complete Shortish RPG)  (Read 22623 times)
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »

It's over for me Hangedman: the other day I enjoyed reading a (gasp) biography! A before that I was catching myself enjoying Mark Haddon and other realistic fiction. Worse, the other day I actually picked up a dictionary and had fun finding obscure words I'd never heard of WTF

You know what these means?

I'm becoming my dad Epileptic

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo Screamy

Igor Hardy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »

It's over for me Hangedman: the other day I enjoyed reading a (gasp) biography! A before that I was catching myself enjoying Mark Haddon and other realistic fiction. Worse, the other day I actually picked up a dictionary and had fun finding obscure words I'd never heard of WTF

You know what these means?

I'm becoming my dad Epileptic

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo Screamy

I bet you could make a really neat art game out of this experience - Every Day A Different Book, Dadsformation or something like that. Wink

btw Would anyone consider Space Funeral an art game exploring the subject of degradation of forms and ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** the results of artistic burn-out?

BitShift
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »

You've made a really excellent game!  I liked the length, the style was different and refreshing, and the humor and story were fantastic.  I would love to see more games like this.
wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »

btw Would anyone consider Space Funeral an art game exploring the subject of degradation of forms and ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** the results of artistic burn-out?
I would say it has aspects of Plato's theory of forms as is a very decent satire, but "art game" has always sounded derogative to me. And I don't believe in this unnatural "art" and "not art" distinction: you can't make something, anything, without putting some of yourself into it. It's impossible. The day that algorithms can generate literature then yes, perhaps that will be truly "not art", but the rest is shades of grey as far as I'm concerned. You just do your best and hope that people like your work, and I liked Space Funeral a lot more because it didn't label itself an "art game".

Absurdist
Level 0

Waiting for VBLANK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »

You've made a really excellent game!  I liked the length, the style was different and refreshing, and the humor and story were fantastic.  I would love to see more games like this.

Hey Miller. Fancy meeting you here!!! (this is Sam)

And, on topic, I love this game. The mixture of crazy visuals and story with the JRPG formula feels really weird and awesome.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »

I think you're forgetting a little one called Yume Nikki.
Igor Hardy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »

The day that algorithms can generate literature then yes, perhaps that will be truly "not art", but the rest is shades of grey as far as I'm concerned. You just do your best and hope that people like your work, and I liked Space Funeral a lot more because it didn't label itself an "art game".

Yes, I would agree with what you say. And I wasn't entirely serious while asking if anyone would consider Space Funeral an "art game" (controversial term to say the least). However, I did it precisely because Space Funeral has this kind of a twisted, unexpected depth to it - in a cool, casual way it brings up Plato and Baudelaire and weaves them into the game's themes. So I am indeed somewhat curious how much this is noticed and appreciated by people who say they're particularly interested in artistic and philosophical motives in games.

wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2011, 01:37:34 AM »

The trouble is that you really need to be a gamer to "get" the larger part of Space Funeral. Then again it's not like any other medium claims to be open to everyone: many are quite proud of their elitism. Perhaps this is what ticks so many people off about "art games": they are an attempt to be a sort of art that non-gamers can appreciate, and this generally involves butchering all their game-y elements (eg - "The Path"). Alternatively the "art" stuff is tacked on at the end: snippets of text or cut-scenes, but either way completely separate from the game itself (eg - "Braid", "Company of Myself", etc). I suppose I'm still waiting to see something that is artistic simply through its gameplay.

Not that this is an elusive "Holy Grail" or anything: your own game, Snakes of Avalon, requires the player to think illogically to solve puzzles, which puts them in the shoes of the protagonist more effectively than watching them as an outside observer would. It's little things like that that I like, but whether it's art is really up to the elitists: we just have to wait for the older ones to die off.

On a side note, I made a game that was all about the Hippocratic Oath, Justice, Sacrifice and Collateral Damage, all of which were woven into its mechanics. But nobody played it because, as a game, it kind of sucked  Wink

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2011, 02:45:50 AM »

On a side note, I made a game that was all about the Hippocratic Oath, Justice, Sacrifice and Collateral Damage, all of which were woven into its mechanics. But nobody played it because, as a game, it kind of sucked  Wink

i don't think your game was irreparable (is that a word), making murder man play faster so that there was more of a mad rush would have helped it along leaps and bounds. the game was about moving from one casualty to the next and so speeding that up would help.
The central idea was a really good one and i'd love to see another game running with the same gimmicks that yours did (and with the same game box parodies too), I just think you would have benefited more from watching people play the game.
wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2011, 03:03:21 AM »

Yeah... maybe I should try and fix it. Don't want to hijack this thread though, so  Embarrassed

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic