Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:24:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWorking in groups
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Working in groups  (Read 9813 times)
DIT
Level 0

O_O"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »

So basically "if at first you don't succeed, etc?" 

Yes.

Marco Di Timoteo | Studio Evil | Twitter: @evilredpenguin | My game on Greenlight
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »

I highly recommend marriage.  Kiss

Um... thanks, but my girlfriend and I aren't the get-married-and-squirt-out-some-kids type.  But we've been living together for five years now, so something's going right.

I highly recommend not squirting out kids. At least not with the person you're working with. And definitely not during office hours!

But seriously, working together with the person I love and live with, has been very nice so far. It'll be 10 years next year. Smiley
On the other hand, it may have prevented us from collaborating with other people...

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 12:41:43 PM »

having worked in one group and finishing the project we were working on it didn't seem like there was ever much of a problem...

I did all the code and my partner did not bother me about how I should be coding something.

He did all the graphics and I didn't bug him about how the game should look.

If he did graphics for some new piece of gameplay I would code it in no problem, if I wrote some code for a new piece of gameplay he would make graphics for it no problem.

I thought it worked out very well because we both had clear roles and we both were willing to implement the other persons ideas.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »

But people were reluctant to share their equipment.  Everyone had their own ideas that they wanted to make.  Even with the promise of "if we stick with one project for now, and get it finished, then we can do another and eventually yours will be done" people couldn't get into the long-term mentality.

You gotta be more decisive than that when making a group. Don't describe your reasoning unless people specifically ask for it. It's important to be speedy and concise, because all the piddly poddly "If/then" reasoning is slow and you can't reason with a group that way anyway.

What you should have done was pick an idea, very fast and at random (speed is very important in these situations, you can't let individuals gain much footing within the group, can't afford for individual members to get their bearings,) and say "this is what we're doing now. We'll get to the other stuff later and if you don't like it, shove off."

A few might leave at first, but they'll be back so long as a sizeable portion remains and you don't show any notice of them leaving. Group people hate being alone.

If you don't want to be the leader, you can wean leadership onto someone else over time, probably the person who came up with the idea in the first place. It's just important to get the group focused on one idea fast before they turn into an inefficient democracy.

*I should add that this is more for working in large groups like the group described in the OP as opposed to small, two person groups in which everyone has a unique job.

Cool
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 07:30:00 PM by Smithy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic