Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:35:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Hall of fame for awesome MONSTERS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Hall of fame for awesome MONSTERS  (Read 21473 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »

They made the Weeping Angels even WORSE in Matt Smith's series. Aside from an entire army of the things, anything that holds the image of one BECOMES one. Even that picture that John posted...
ink.inc
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »

Personally, I didn't find the weeping angels as scary the second time around. For one thing, the show starred the Doctor, a character who is essentially unkillable (by virtue of regeneration and being the titular character). Besides, he knows about the Angels, and he knows what's going on.

In contrast, the frail young woman (Sally Sparrow) from the first appearance of the Angels, was completely powerless. When you're with the Doctor, you feel... protected, because ultimately, you know that everything will turn out for the best (usually with mumbo jumbo faux science). But with a human character like Sally, you feel infinitely more vulnerable knowing that the Time Lord won't be there to save you.

Also, in the second episode, the Doctor was accompanied by an ARMY of soldiers with (admittedly useless) machine guns. Still, you feel much safer with a bunch of mooks at your side. There's a huge difference in tone between the two; one's more like a horror film, and the other one's just another monster of the week episode (complete with Time Lord science bullshit).

In general, I hate it whenever massive, world ending problems are solved via some bullshit deus ex machina/ fake superscience. I feel cheated out of a proper ending.

tl;dr: I want David TENNANT back godDAMNIT.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »

tl;dr: I want David TENNANT back godDAMNIT.
I want Christopher Eccleston back!
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

I just wanna bring Parasite Eve into the fold here.

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »

Star nosed moles are the true monsters:
Bandages
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »

"oh no, it's gonna smell me really well"

YAWN
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 07:01:41 AM »

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »

the newer weeping angels one was more or less the Aliens to Blink's Alien (actually that is such a perfect metaphor its kind of surreal), it was a lot less scary, and a lot more action. acutally the first episode in the 2 parter is pretty great (bullshit new powers for the angels aside), especially with the plot twist at the end that there have been hundreds of starving angels around them the entire time. the second part had a few good moments but mostly kind of sucked (the worst part being when amy snuck past the angels by "pretending she could see", which defied all logic and made absolutely no sense with how the angels powers work) but it was still an alright episode. also, matt smith kicks ass as the doctor and i dont get how anyone can hate him. but yeah, monsters, eh?

Lo
ink.inc
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »

also, matt smith kicks ass as the doctor and i dont get how anyone can hate him. but

It's not that I hate Matt Smith. He does a damn good job with the dialogue he's given, and he does it with charm and panache. It's more that I loved Tennant's manic energy... he managed to pull of that half-insane sort of vibe with great skill. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic