Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:54:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpace Captain McCallery Episode 2 Demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Captain McCallery Episode 2 Demo  (Read 2614 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »

I've released a demo for the second episode of the game I'm currently working on, Space Captain McCallery.  In the second episode, you're in search of your old weaponmaster whose hiding out on a planet filled with prehistoric monsters.

Space Captain McCallery is an episodic series of Sci-fi zelda-likes.  You play as a Space Pirate captain exploring strange worlds in search of treasure and adventure.

>DOWNLOAD HERE<

You can follow the development of this game in the devLog

You can also find a trailer for the game here:  

Controls:
[Arrow Keys] - Move
[Z] - Jump
[X] - Strafe/select item(while in menu)
[C] - Shoot/hold to auto-fire and strafe
[A] - Pick up Item/Talk
[Shift] - Open item menu
[M] - Toggle mute/audio

You can also download the first episode from my website here:  http://www.ultimate-nerds.com/space-captain-mccallery-episode-1-crash-landing
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:31:22 PM by Malec2b » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »

I made a small fix that adds a few missing collision blocks and removes the file that unlocks the currently non-existent challenge mode.  The download link is now updated.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »

hmm as much as I want to play it, I think I'll wait for the final version. Hmm but I'd also like to give feedback on it before the final version....ahh fuck it I'll play it  Cool

feedbacks:
* title screen looks a bit unfinished, also the title screen music is very loud
* new game/load screen different resolution than the title screen is very odd

*mis-aligned/overlapping text in the dialogue boxes

*shmup sequence, maybe dim the slow moving parallax stars so they look like they are far away

I understand the need for funky weapon aiming, if fits in the context of the story but it makes for bad game mechanics. It is not fun and it's very frustrating. The length of this sequence is equally as painful, how long is it supposed to be? I got bored after 20 seconds of it and I must have played it for at least 3 more minutes before I got mad and quit. I seriously hope that's a bug of some sort :\
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:36:03 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  

I've uploaded a new version.  I took out the SHMUP section for now, as I need to do quite a bit more work on it, and it's not really integral to the demo.  (incidentally, it's currently supposed to go for about one minute, so if it went longer, then, yes, that was an error.  I'm planning on adding a little more variety, as well as making it clearer that you're supposed to dodge rater than shoot)

The current title screen is temporary, but I added some stars to the background to make it look a bit nicer.

Could you take a screen-shot of the mis-aligned/overlapping text to show what you mean?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »

The shmup scene definitely went on longer than a minute, no less than 3 minutes passed before I gave up.

The only reason I was a little  Huh? about shooting is because I kinda thought the goal was to shoot, and it was dragging on so long I figure I had to kill a certain about of things to progress (since it was otherwise going on endlessly). Simple mistake on my end.

http://imgur.com/qRbKL.png
As you can see, "Robot" is overlapping the border and probably needs to be centered in the name-box. The text should probably be moved to the right a few pixels as well.

few more feedbacks:

*while moving diagonally and jumping, he moves a great deal farther than normal (feature or bug?) and the jump sound is louder

*enemy concentration seems to be a bit too high for the beginning of the game, since they are fast and in large numbers on some screens I'm forced to take them out. feels a bit like 'filler' to me.

*I almost passed right by the robot on the cliff, he needs something to make him stand out more
-when talking to him a second time, I chose "I'll be back in a bit" and he just keeps saying Hiya or it loops the last thing he said. only by choosing "lets go back to work" will let me end the conversation
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »

I got to the first cave, went South, went East and after that, i got an error message.

for object player:

Error in code at line 1:
   room_goto(c1_7_4);

at position 11: Unknown variable c1_7_4

I couldn't really get beyond that.

Diagonal shooting would be nice. I mostly avoid enemies because it takes too much effort to kill them. The jumping mechanics isn't deep enough to make a game about dodging and the offensive options aren't good enough to make this a killing game.

The starting menu uses X, dialog uses C, talking to people and picking items up is A, using those items is... There's a lot of confusion here about what button does what. Is there any reason that the starting menu, dialog, and talking to people can't be the same button?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:35:12 PM »

Alright, did another update.  Text should be fixed now, and I got rid of the cave passage to nowhere.  I also added a new enemy type, which is a green dinosaur which has less health.  I replaced some of the red dinosaurs with it, which should smooth out the difficulty curve a bit.

The starting menu uses X, dialog uses C, talking to people and picking items up is A, using those items is... There's a lot of confusion here about what button does what. Is there any reason that the starting menu, dialog, and talking to people can't be the same button?
Some of these trace back to earlier versions of the game where X was used for strafing, but now that you can strafe by holding down the fire button.

I've moved dialogue and item pick-ups to X, so all that should be on one button now.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »

Sorry for the double post, but as a matter of curiosity, to those who played/are going to play the game, how many, if any, of the hidden treasure did you find?  Also, there was one more secret hidden thing in the demo.  Did anyone find that?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic