Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:40:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Big iPhone news!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Big iPhone news!  (Read 2617 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:12:35 AM »

Wow this is really exciting (for me anyway).  Having just heard about Unity thanks to the VNGC entry, 'Obsessive Compulsive Penguin Simulator', I was fascinated to learn that the 3D engine it uses, Unity, is coming to iPhone.

http://unity3d.com/company/news/iphone-press

My mind is exploding with the possibilities.  Just gotta get me an iPhone now!

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:22:03 AM »

... Video Name Game Competition?

Are you sure you don't mean VGNG competition  Huh? ?

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:23:32 AM »

Oh I meant Videogame Name Generator Competition, but I'm sure you knew that...

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:15:42 AM »

Yeah, I did. Sorry Tongue

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:21:23 AM »

Sorry I didn't mean that to sound bitchy haha.

Anyway, the idea of a 3D SDK for the iPhone is pretty exciting, isn't it?  Unity surprised me with how efficient it is for a web-based 3D solution.  I'm imagining Zelda: PH-style gameplay.  How does the iPhone deal with a stylus by the way?  Anyone know?

justinfic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:46:24 AM »

Anyway, the idea of a 3D SDK for the iPhone is pretty exciting, isn't it?  Unity surprised me with how efficient it is for a web-based 3D solution.  I'm imagining Zelda: PH-style gameplay.

It's cool news- I dig Unity, and I don't doubt they'll get it running just fine on the iPhone. I'm more excited that it will allow for rapid development of games, as opposed to allowing for more complicated 3d games. I usually bust out games on the phone when I'm standing in line, waiting for a subway train, etc... never more than a few minutes. That and the control scheme on the iPhone is vastly different, and probably wouldn't jive well with 95% of existing games out there.

How does the iPhone deal with a stylus by the way? Anyone know?

Short answer, it doesn't. There are some objects that claim to work as a stylus on an iPhone, but they all resemble markers, or giant q-tips. The iPhone probably won't work as well as it should for stylus-based games. Fingers are fatter than, say, the stylus on DS, and they block a significant part of the screen while you're touching it. The smallest targets I would picture a player hitting on an iPhone screen without getting frustrated would be the size of the main menu icons.

There's a lot of possibilities though when you factor in the multi-touch (you can get away from typical mouse/stylus control) and the accelerometer.

Twitter | Current Project: Heavy drinking
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »

I heard the accelerometer isn't as awesome as people hope.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »

Hmm it's looking slightly less positive now (of course I can picture a million block puzzle clones with block big enough for your fingertips).  I was hoping to convert my point'n'click style engine, but with no possibility of stylus use, it does limit things.  I'm sure there are still potential games for it though.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic