Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:36:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLimiting Beliefs about Making Money off Indie Games & Music
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Limiting Beliefs about Making Money off Indie Games & Music  (Read 4156 times)
MaloEspada
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »

-> "i have no more arguments and all the previous ones suck!!"
-> "i'll play victim and try to work around the situation while pulling crazy stuff not even i want to agree anymore!!"

what happened in this thread.

going to make a game now, btw. peace!
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »

I'm discussing the topic. I'm just disagreeing with you.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »

I never said it was easy to make money of your games, it take a lot of hard work and dedication. And yes, if you leave everything up to luck, then you probably will fail. Why not educate yourself in business practices? You can't expect to be good at anything if you don't try. Imagine if all the developer went 'this is too hard to make games, I'm just gonna give up.' That's the kind of attitude your showing to the community, that when things get tough, you give up instead of perservering. If you give up beofre even trying, anything is impossible.

But that's not at all what your article seems to be about. Your article isn't about how difficult it is to make money off games. Your article is about people being afraid of making money off their games and that is what's holding them back from living off of their games:

There are many limiting beliefs, and there is one that really stands out in the indie games community.

That is the fear of making money.

And you suggest that people just put up ads to make money off their games:

You’ve probably deduced at this point that there is a way that you could give away your work, and still receive value for your work. The usual option is putting up ads.

For most indie game developers, the ROI on ads will be negative. I truly don't see it as fear holding back indie devs from making money off their games. It's just that they understand that there are a crapload of indie games vying for the gamer's dollar and as such a game has to be really good or stand out to make back the investment. Thank god most indie devs have the common sense to not throw investment money at every game in an attempt to earn money off of it -- we'd see a lot of disappointed game makers with less money than they started out with.

I'm just getting really confused as to what the point of your article was, and the discussion and replies here in this thread are just making me even more confused...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
mirosurabu
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »

Yeah, I do recognize both fears: fear of losing creative freedom and fear of what fans/players may think of you and your game if you switch to commercial.

Fear of losing creative freedom seems to be due to one's lack of knowledge in business.

You lose creative freedom only when you stop making games that you want to make and instead start making adver-games and/or games-that-will-sell.

You can keep your creative freedom in a couple of ways.

Fanbase. Unlike AAA games, a niche fanbase can support indie games very well.
Website ad-revenue.
Try to find someone to fund your project.
Try to find a sponsorship for your project (online games).

However, all of these require you to focus on something else other than games - business
And on top of that this may force developers to actually polish their games and move their lazy-asses.

Business aspect includes things like raising awareness of your games and reaching your potential market.

That said, there is nothing wrong with hobbyists, but adults are less likely to have to time for serious hobbies like this and when they do they often struggle to keep them alive. Sure, there may be exceptions.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic