Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:13:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDROID ASSAULT alpha
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: DROID ASSAULT alpha  (Read 17864 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 04:21:09 AM »

Are you dutch or do you just have a good beer-taste? Smiley

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 04:58:51 AM »

Grolsch is pretty popular here in the UK! A fine lager. Best bottled of course.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 05:16:56 AM »

Of course. Beats heinekens water-tasting ass.

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 08:53:45 AM »

So true, Grolsch all the way for me too.  Smiley

edit: WOW! First impression of this game is really good. Excellent style, nice gameplay and interesting capture concept.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:57:59 AM by PHeMoX » Logged

"Fun is rule."
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 07:03:06 PM »

Did I like accidently press alt-f4 or something or has anyone else found a crash? I swear I'm not making up my highscore. I want to replay and get to first but I don't want it crashing Sad

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 11:53:26 PM »

ED209?
Omni Corporation?

:-)

I don't have much to add. A new ultragreat game by Puppy Games! :-D
The only thing is if you use similar music to the current, it would by fun to synchronize the robot movement in intermission screens with the music :-).

~bs~
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 04:26:14 AM »

Beyond my wizardry, I fear!

I have recently fixed and uploaded several crash bugs - hopefully I've got them all now.

Cas Smiley

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 05:43:52 AM »

Just had a crash:
I was running another game (EverQuest II, which uses Direct3D) in windowed mode at the same time. After some time Droid Assault suddenly crashed without any error message. Also my savegame, which I loaded before the crash, was gone and I had to start from the beginning. I wasn't able to reproduce the crash. After I started Droid Assault again from the beginning it didn't crash for several levels.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:24:26 AM by Ciardhubh » Logged
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »

I loved the original Paradroid, so this brings back a lot of memories. The overall presentation is great, it has kind of a retro sci-fi feel to it. The variety of robots and powerups keeps the game from getting stale.

That being said, a few ideas to improve it:

• your AI-controled allies are pretty dumb, they tend to wander into turrets and stuff like that. Some way to give them basic orders, i.e. "follow me", "stay here", "attack", etc. would be nice.
  • Allied bots should glow a distinctive color or something, so you can tell them apart from enemies easier.
  • Some way to repair bots between levels. maybe using the money you find during levels.
  • Like Melly said, being able to swap upgrades between levels. Actually, instead of upgrades being auto-equipped when you find them, maybe they should go into your "inventory" or something so you can equip them however you like later. This way, if one of your ultra-weak bots picks up an upgrade and then dies, you won't lose it. Dunno if that's too RPG-ish, I know you want to keep the game simple...

That's all I got for now. Excellent game, Cas.

------------------------------------------

EDIT: Yay, high score! (for now) Also, I think I found a bug: when you take over one of the green military droids (don't remember the name, but it has a shotgun weapon and looks angry), it turns into the little starting droid sprite for some reason. It still has the same abilites, though.

Also also, explosive weapons need to be more useful. Right now the blast radius is too small to do anything useful. also the fuse on grenade weapons feels a bit too long.

Also also also, do you have a list of all the droids in the game anywhere? I haven't seen any that cost more than 7 points yet...

Also also also also, what's the difference between single-core or multi-core droids? (okay, that's my last question for now, I swear :D)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:20:03 PM by Stij » Logged
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 03:33:07 AM »

The AI controlled enemies are indeed dumb - you want to capture the ones with multicore brains, which aren't Smiley But they're no dafter than the enemy. We did have a think about how to make the droids better serve their masters but couldn't think of a way to do it without making the game just too complicated for its own good. I think we'll save that mechanic for another game.

Repairing bots in between levels (or allowing the upgrades to be switched around) might again make the UI too fussy and complicated for probably not much gain. It's best just to keep advancing to higher levels and keep on transferring to ever better robots. A new droid appears on every level up to level 49! So just keep earning the transfer points and blast away. The upgrades really are just temporary "perks" - your droid team is quite expendable. Although I am considering increasing their hitpoints somewhat. Firstly though I'm going to have a huge playtest with the new scoring regime (bots now worth 100-900 points instead of 50-450 points, ie. doubling the potential transfer points gained) and see if that's balanced nicely.

Cas Smiley

Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 08:04:50 AM »

Yeah, that makes sense. I can understand why you don't want to make the interface too complicated and cluttered. Didn't know that multicore = smarter bots either, that'll help.

After playing the game some more (curse you, Pita, you beat my high score :D), I think some sort of warning or alarm when one of your bots is attacked would be nice. I had my entire squad mowed down while they were offscreen in one level. D:

Also, maybe save points every 10 levels or so where you can restart if all your bots are killed? It's kind of frustrating to get to a really high level and then restart all the way back at level 1 when you lose...

EDIT: um, cas, the bosses seem to explode when I touch them. Pretty sure that's not intentional.  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:47:00 AM by Stij » Logged
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »

Yes, the exploding boss thing is indeed a bug Wink

I'd love to think of a way to allow the player to start at higher levels.. perhaps just automatically unlocking PLAY buttons on the title screen when bosses are defeated? (Say, 10 levels behind) - so after defeating the boss on level 20, you'd get a PLAY [start from level 10] button appear on the title screen?

Cas Smiley

Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

(also, I reclaim my place on the highscore list, woo  Grin)

EDIT: btw, how much health does a repair powerup restore? it seems to be random, sometimes it even hurts my bot
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:00:56 PM by Stij » Logged
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »

It's supposed to repair up to the maximum amount of health the bot can have, which degrades slowly over time. I'll make sure it's working...

Cas Smiley

Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 05:09:20 PM »

Ah, I think I see the problem. your health bar doesn't decrease when your maximum health does, thus, it looks like you don't recover all your health.

Also, bah, stuck on level 44...
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »

My god this is so badass.  Shocked

Love how the dubstep drops in at endgame, sound fx are sick.  Selecta!

The visuals are totally unique.  It's instantly playable and not confusing at all.

Kiss (I don't use this smiley lightly!)

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »

I found it easier to *not* have a large amount of robots I owned, because they ended up just getting shot up. An option to "stay in this area, don't move out from the spawn" would be nice. (Or, they don't even warp in..)

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »

Hey guys, check out my absurdly powerful droid:

I had everything maxed out except for generator, I think. :D I think that four-eyed droid may be a bit too powerful...you can get it early in the game and blaze through the first 20 or so levels with it. Maybe lower its speed and/or health a little?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:05:48 PM by Stij » Logged
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 10:34:11 AM »

It might possibly get a reduction in speed on account of its insanely powerful weaponry. On the other hand... it doesn't have all that many hitpoints and it's got no armour.

Cas Smiley

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

After I install the game, nothing happens.  When I run it a second time, it asks if I want to create shortcuts, then it dies after that.  Running it after that brings up the "Droid Assault" mini-splash and then silently dies.  I think I had the same problem with your previous alpha (the Pac-Man-esque game, iirc).  I'm on XP with a GeForce 4 Ti 4200.

My only comment (since I can't play it =) is that I think Droid is a trademark of Lucasfilm.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Droid#Trademark

Anyway, I dig Paradroid, so I'll keep an eye out for the next release. =)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic