Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:51:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSales of one man indie game hit, Minecraft, have surpassed $250,000 per day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Sales of one man indie game hit, Minecraft, have surpassed $250,000 per day.  (Read 50070 times)
mirosurabu
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:27 AM »

It's an MMO. When kids come here and say "I want to make an MMO" you tell them not to and they don't. And they don't make money. Tongue

Nah, it's not MMO yet isn't it?

But it's shaping to be one. And it's a game with a promise. It promises a lot of free content in the future and that's a good hook. Also, I heard somewhere people are 'asking' for things. That's also good hook. But a lot more work for Sir Notch.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 06:05:59 AM »

...!!

I am amazed at what a sum Notch got packed up. Not only does this bring the indie world a good reputation, but also inspires future developers. Heck, it even partially inspired me for something else.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »

Notch basically won the lottery. There's no way the massive success of Minecraft can be planned or rationalized. [....] Sometimes attention and the Internet collective just comes together to create this critical mass kinda thing. It's really interesting, but I don't think people should try to pick apart what's happened in an attempt to rationalize or copy what's happened here. I think the only lesson that can be learned from this is to make games that you think are fun and that you believe in. Don't try to copy other people's success.

I think there's another important lesson here, first that Notch has been making games for a while, and second that he didn't just come up with this out of the blue -- not only was he inspired by Infiniminer, he worked on Wurm Online. In other words, how do you get to Carnegie Hall...?  Smiley
alspal
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »

perhaps, too, the mainstream industry will sit up and take notice of a game that cost almost nothing to make and made more money than many of the games they spent millions developing

Zynga style!
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »

bleh

it's not very fair to compare minecraft to the shit zynga churns out
bento_smile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »

I thought he was implying that Zynga might notice and rip it off  My Word!
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »

As far as I know Zynga only rip off games that are in complete obscurity. You could call this Zynga's biggest missed opportunity though...

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »

I thought he was implying that Zynga might notice and rip it off  My Word!

hm youre right and i apologize if its the case
Taiko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »

Just bought Minecraft two nights ago.  I've been having a blast with it so far. 

Notch deserves his success because he focused on making the game fun.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »

$250,000 a day is so huge that I can't even wrap my mind around this concept. It's hard to believe, it's basically up there with games like halo or those militaristic FPS blockbusters that sell a lot. I mean it's going to get noticed (first by the IRS lol). Now I can understand why he got those problems with Paypal.(plus the paypal affair must have boosted his sales too)
Also: this guy is probably doing more good for java than Sun did in 20 years.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »

But seriously this guy needs to get a financial advisor ASAP.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »

Yeah, well it's already bad enough that everybody these days is already like "OMG I WANT 2 MAEK GAM LOL". At least for me, because it's been my dream to "maek gam" since I was 7 years old, and I'm now 29. It's why I left my entire life, family and friends 2700 miles behind to move out to California. When I was in highschool, I didn't know a single soul who wanted to do this, that was in the late 90s.

Suddenly, EVERYONE wants to make games, and the people who are really passionate about it just kind of slip into obscurity among the sea of countless other "indie game developers"... It's depressing. I've lost my individuality and the only redeeming quality about myself; that I was a good game designer. Now that's a dime-a-dozen title, apparently, which is the truth behind why I'm so jealous and bitter when I see other people succeeding at it.

Oh, come on, you've been in the indie community long enough to know that the people who aren't passionate about making games tend not to finish their projects, or tend not to move past small games.  Wanting to make games shouldn't be what makes you an individual.  Actually making games should be what does.  If you're as passionate as you say you are about game design, you should see the large amount of people wanting to design games as competition, and a chance to really prove yourself, and you should see the success of something like Minecraft as a opportunity.  There's an audience for indie games, and Minecraft proves it.  

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »

No drama from me, just dropping a "Congrats" on Notch.  Awesome stuff man, keep it up!  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Zaphos
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:41 AM »

I think it is a bit misleading if they took the numbers immediately following the free weekend and said that is the per day rate ...?

Still, clearly even if that rate only holds for a few days, it is pretty amazing!  Smiley
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »

I totally got like 4 people to buy the game. Notch you owe me. I take cash and credit.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »

Minecraft is actually an extremely intelligent game when it comes to how to grip humans' little reptilian brain in its tendrils.

Here are some interesting things about it:

- Every single block in the game is interactable (besides the clouds, that is. Possibly coming in a future update! Durr...?). You can dig any-fucking-where you want. Everything you do in the world has clear feedback and leaves a lasting mark in it. Leaving a mark in the world is something humans inherently seek.

- You can build anything, from anything. Make ridiculous structures, grandiose palaces, impossible floating spheres, 8-bit homages. That's another way to leave your mark in the world, and your imagination is the limit.

- At the same time the game gives you so many options, it's not all given to you in a silver-platter. You have to build stuff block for block. You can't fly, so you have to be somewhat smart in how you build. In Survival mode, you have to mine your resources yourself. You have to build a shelter, to be wary of monsters lurking in the darkness and populating the top-side world at night. You have to work for your rewards, and that creates satisfaction. When your creation is complete, you can look at it, regardless of its virtual, ephemeral nature, and say "I built this".

- The game is very similar to Dwarf Fortress, with the same incredible level of effect you can have in the world around you (though obvious DF is far more complex and offers more possibilities even). There are three key differences though. First, the game's graphics, although technically out-dated, intenselly blocky and with pixelated textures, are easily readable and welcoming, a far cry from DF's full-text display that requires some time to get used to and understand what each character is. Second, The interface is ridiculously simple. You point at a block and hold the mouse button to dig it, right button to use/place objects and blocks. When you do find the crafting screens for the first time, they're a matter of placing itens on a grid, which is simple and gives room to experimentation without relying on a menu of all the possibilities crafting wood/stone/whatever. Thirdly, it's not a private army of moody dwarves that are doing the dirty work, you are, which greatly increases the satisfaction, and the sense that your hands shape your world.

- The world is not just a huge empty sandbox for you. The world is simulated, so there are things to discover, like underground caves and rivers (of the cool and hot variety). It's a pretty intense feeling when you're busy digging on your mineshaft for rare ores when you suddenly stumble in a dark underground cave, grabbing your torches (and weapons) and exploring its depths. You can get lost down there.

- It's a game built to play with other people, and if there's one thing that can raise an experience sky-high is sharing it with friends, or even unknown people. Go into their worlds and explore them, see the crazy things they've built, the little secrets. Exploration and discovery of constantly shifting environments, built by other people just like you, with the same tools you can use.

This all sounds like me gushing about the game, but there is some very intelligent game design going on here. This is a game that's inherently fun because of how the human brain works. It's crazy accessible and lends itself to anyone's style of play. So yeah,  you shouldn't be too surprised this game is so ridiculously popular, and Notch isn't just a really lucky guy. He's someone that hasn't given you crack, but the ability to make your own crack, and share it with others.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Shawny
Level 5

<3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »

Am I the only person who's actually kinda... bothered by how open everyone is with Notch's earnings? It's one thing to make a lot of money but I REALLY don't think it's appropriate to be posting it. :/

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »

You mean Notch shouldn't post it or we shouldn't talk about it? I think sales data is really useful information.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »

Am I the only person who's actually kinda... bothered by how open everyone is with Notch's earnings? It's one thing to make a lot of money but I REALLY don't think it's appropriate to be posting it. :/

Why not? It's very interesting. Especially for an indie to make this kind of money off of an alpha game and pre-orders. Just pre-orders! Amazing.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:57 AM »

It could be problematic depending on where he lives, I guess. He's the one posting about it, and I'm pretty sure he's aware of the fact that if he makes information like that public it's gonna be spread pretty quickly.

Maybe he's just really excited and isn't thinking all that clearly. I know I'd be going bonkers if I was making that crazy cash in such a short ammount of time.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic