Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:24:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSales of one man indie game hit, Minecraft, have surpassed $250,000 per day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Sales of one man indie game hit, Minecraft, have surpassed $250,000 per day.  (Read 50089 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:48 PM »

So yeah, you shouldn't be too surprised this game is so ridiculously popular, and Notch isn't just a really lucky guy.

There's definitely some intelligent game design going on in this game, but listing some great features and saying that one shouldn't be too surprised by the game's success is looking at it in hindsight, I feel. Nobody could have anticipated this and even if you put all those great features into a similarly great game, there's no telling if it'd be quite as big a success. That's what I meant with my "winning the lottery" comment. Notch is a very smart guy and a good game designer, but there are forces at work in making a game that successful that quickly which I don't really believe can be rationalized or picked apart.

I think it was William Goldman that said about the movie business that "nobody knows anything". Meaning that it's really impossible to say what the next big suprise hit is going to be. Sci-fi was out when Star Wars became a hit, as was westerns when Dances With Wolves became one. Nobody thought Titanic would earn back its money, and people were very sceptical about Avatar's financial chances. It's easy to look at those movies in hindsight and see all the reasons for why they became hits -- those "obvious" reasons weren't so obvious before the fact, though.

But, yeah, $250,000 in 24 hours for an indie game? Notch is the James Cameron of the indie world, I guess... Wink

EDIT: Oh, and regarding making his earnings public; I think his success has bred success. Part of the newsworthiness of Minecraft is how much money it's made its creator. Nobody would know that if he hadn't made it public.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »

I decided to look up some gameplay videos of this game... I'll admit, it does look really fun and well designed; I'm tempted to play it. Still, I'm shocked that rakes in $250K per day and I refuse to be a part of that, so I'm not going to buy it.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »

maybe he'll contribute to the 'indie game fund' -- at 250k a day, he could fund 10 igf grand prizes a day instead of 1 a year (yeah i know it won't sell as much long-term, was just a comparison)

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »

I decided to look up some gameplay videos of this game... I'll admit, it does look really fun and well designed; I'm tempted to play it. Still, I'm shocked that rakes in $250K per day and I refuse to be a part of that, so I'm not going to buy it.

I don't think that's a good way to go about things. I can understand your feelings, but unless Notch decides to hoard all the cash and become a millionaire douchebag (which doesn't look likely, as he wants to start a studio, which can be good news for plenty of people), it's not constructive to not want to participate simply because of how many people are buying. I don't mean to insult your or anything, but that's a little petty.

Though you can always try the game without paying somehow, sure. Then you can make a better decision based on the game's merits.

I can understand what you mean. It IS pretty damn surprising, and I can see a game just as good and with very similar qualities not get nearly as much attention. Luck was obviously a part of it. I guess I wanted to say that it wasn't the ONLY part, and I see it more as the lucky winds spreading the seeds, and the game's merits and structure enabling those seeds to grow so quickly. It's a game that's pretty easy to spread virally, I feel.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

yeah not buying it cause it's selling well makes no sense to me; should we not buy windows because bill gates is too rich? or macs because steve jobs is rich? most things we buy were made by people who make more per day than our entire extended families combined make in a year, we can't buy only from people who aren't rich without doing a ton of research

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »

I guess I wanted to say that it wasn't the ONLY part, and I see it more as the lucky winds spreading the seeds, and the game's merits and structure enabling those seeds to grow so quickly.

Very poetically put. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Laserbrain Studios
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »

Maybe I should have used a cherry blossom metaphor somewhere.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »

There's still time!

Laserbrain Studios
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 01:34:43 PM »

He should give some to the infiniminer guy

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 01:40:08 PM »

Awesome news. Wish nothing but the best for him and his new company. Appreciate the transparency in both his development process and cash-stats. Very informative on both fronts.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »

Well my philosophy is that the last thing he needs is another $10, where as $10 is going to go a lot further in my pocket, since I'm not making $250k a day. Maybe it's petty, sure... The other reason I wouldn't buy it is because it seems like it's a time eater.

I played the browser-based original version on PC and lost an hour (at work, no less) so I can see why it's a compelling game. Congrats to the dude who made it, though... It's a great game but it's still hard for me to stomach the fact that anyone is pulling in someone's lifetime salary in a day.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »

if he didn't make that $10 do you really think it would be going to you or anyone else? I kind of don't. Just because he's getting something other people aren't doesn't mean other people would be getting what he's been if he weren't.

He just happened to do the right thing (make this game) in the right place (on the internet) at the right time (now) and in the right way (open development, alpha preorders) and it's paying off in a very big way.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 02:50:26 PM »

This is fantastic. With the money he's making, he'll be able to make more great games in the future.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »

Well my philosophy is that the last thing he needs is another $10, where as $10 is going to go a lot further in my pocket, since I'm not making $250k a day. Maybe it's petty, sure... The other reason I wouldn't buy it is because it seems like it's a time eater.

I played the browser-based original version on PC and lost an hour (at work, no less) so I can see why it's a compelling game. Congrats to the dude who made it, though... It's a great game but it's still hard for me to stomach the fact that anyone is pulling in someone's lifetime salary in a day.

As to whether he needs the $10 or not, of course he doesn't. Look at this way, for that $10 or euro you get an incredibly enjoyable experience that is going to keep getting better as time goes on and more is added to the game. Also it's going to go up in price when it hits beta and again when it hits release. As for it being a time eater, i totally agree. I've hardly got anything productive done since i started playing it!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »

I think he means that, knowing that Notch doesn't really need that 10 dollars he doesn't feel as compelled to give it up. It's easier to sympathize with other indie companies that are on the brink of closure, and I tend to buy their stuff even if I can't really afford it. That's what I think he's getting at.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »

Well my philosophy is that the last thing he needs is another $10, where as $10 is going to go a lot further in my pocket, since I'm not making $250k a day. Maybe it's petty, sure...

And yet you're still apparently willing to pay for your internet access, even though your ISP/Internet Cafe/whatever almost certainly earns more per day than you do.

So LOL, whatever makes it easier for you to sleep at night.   Cheesy
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »

not that i'm defending him, but internet is something of a necessity now though, games are a luxury. we have more choice in where we buy luxuries from, or if we buy them, than where we buy internet from. you can only buy internet from particular companies. with games there's more flexibility. you could play only freeware if you wanted, and be pretty much as entertained and happy as if you bought AAA games new.

i do agree with him that it's somewhat strange for someone to earn more in a day than someone else does in a lifetime, though. and having that much money does give you greater responsibility to use it wisely, and to not let it go to your head. not that i think notch won't use it wisely or let it go to his head, i'm speaking in general.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:41:36 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »

I think he means that, knowing that Notch doesn't really need that 10 dollars he doesn't feel as compelled to give it up. It's easier to sympathize with other indie companies that are on the brink of closure, and I tend to buy their stuff even if I can't really afford it. That's what I think he's getting at.

Well i guess so. I buy games because i want to play them though. But then, i don't make a living making games so maybe that changes your outlook on things. I totally understand wanting to spend that $10 on a less successful indie developer to support them though.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 03:58:28 PM »

And yet you're still apparently willing to pay for your internet access, even though your ISP/Internet Cafe/whatever almost certainly earns more per day than you do.

So LOL, whatever makes it easier for you to sleep at night.   Cheesy

You can argue with him without being a dick about it. A lot of people rely on the internet for much more than entertainment, you do realize this don't you?
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »

Holy shit! Wouldn't this be kind of... the biggest indie game success story of the past 10 years?! (I guess not of EVER if we kind of count earlier videogame studios with smaller teams and less money as being part of this group... but if we dont, has there ever been anything like this before at all?)

I don't understand the few lukewarm comments I read here, shouldn't pretty much everyone here be ecstatic?! This is amazing! And in the current context where indie games are slowly starting to get some face time in the public world, its got a perfect timing. I hope it will grow to become more and more successful! I'm buying it immediately! Go Notch!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic