Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 04:02:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Prologue to Doom (my debut IF game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Prologue to Doom (my debut IF game)  (Read 1365 times)
InhumanUndeadGames
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »

Before I say anything else, let me just say this. Yes, this is compatible on all systems, SO LONG AS THEY HAVE A Z-CODE INTERPRETER! The game was released as a Z8 file, that is, the story file alone. Now, I present you A Prologue to Doom, my debut in IF. Coded in 2 days using Inform 7, this game was tested over and over again, and lemme tell ya, it was such a pain in the arse.
Download the game itself (story file inside .zip only): HERE.
mr.zippycrow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:14:57 PM »

I couldn't get past the living room. You should list the exits in the room descriptions. I gave up because it just felt like a guessing game and even the items in the descriptions weren't recognized by the parser, i.e.:

There is blood on the floor
> touch blood
You can't see any such thing

InhumanUndeadGames
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:21:07 AM »

I couldn't get past the living room. You should list the exits in the room descriptions. I gave up because it just felt like a guessing game and even the items in the descriptions weren't recognized by the parser, i.e.:

There is blood on the floor
> touch blood
You can't see any such thing

Honestly, that was because that's not really part of the tory, so I didn't code it as much.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:52:25 AM »

For those kinds of things, I think it's better to give a custom default response. So in I7 you could write something like, 'instead of doing anything with the [your nouns here], say "That's not important to the story." (extremely paraphrased code there). Then it doesn't look like it's just an oversight.
InhumanUndeadGames
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »

For those kinds of things, I think it's better to give a custom default response. So in I7 you could write something like, 'instead of doing anything with the [your nouns here], say "That's not important to the story." (extremely paraphrased code there). Then it doesn't look like it's just an oversight.
Good idea. I'll begin work on a new version with a new name now.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic